Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1934 Ford Sedan Gender Reassignment Surgery

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by flatnasty, Jan 14, 2014.

1. flatnasty

flatnasty
    from Vancouver

Just as the title may allude, another 4dr is about to bite the dust Fellas........

As far back as I can remember 1932 to 1934 ford coupes have been my all time favorite cars on earth. They also have been way beyond my means and since stumbling onto a nice coupe body for penny's on the dollar didn`t seem to be panning out the way I would like. I figured, Taking matters into my own hands and carrying on with plan B would be my best bet.

The loose version of plan B that I drafted up before I started went something like this.

1 Find 1933 to 1934 4dr body
    2 Star cutting it up until it turns into a coupe.

Ive been a member of the hamb for a while now and have watched a few sick model 40`s built along the way. Guys like Thunderbirdesq, kiwi kev, D rod, Muffin to name a few. So I feel I`m more than qualified to undertake this project now that Ive read all about their builds.

This isn`t going to be a step by step how to build a coupe thread more of montage, of a young 4dr`s confusing journey into coupe hood.

Here`s how it started out...

Attached Files:

kidcampbell71, kiwijeff and Pufff like this.
  2. Should be interesting. Get stuck into it,

3. flatnasty

flatnasty
    from Vancouver

First thing I did after I got it home was get the chassis level and the body compleatly bolted down. Then I got working on reinstalling the driver side B pillar that was broken out. Then I mounted and lined up all the doors. I figured although I wont be using the rear doors they should be installed and lined up to give me an acurate location for my front doors.

Attached Files:

kiwijeff and Pufff like this.
  4. MAD 034

MAD 034
    from Washington

Look forward to watching you cut 'er up!

kiwijeff likes this.

5. oldrelics

oldrelics
    from Calgary

6. 53chevtrev

53chevtrev
    from Langley BC

looks good brad, cant wait to see it done.

7. olskool34

olskool34

I am in the same boat as you, 32-34 coupes will never be in my budget sadly so I would be doing the same thing. Looking forward to seeing it progress.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

8. This is great! Can't wait to see what you do with that beauty...
    I just picked up a nice 34 frame and hope to be headed down the same path someday. Probably finish my 49 shoebox first - at least get it on the road.

Kyle(666) likes this.
  9. flatnasty

flatnasty
    from Vancouver

Thanks Fellas!

I"ll keep the updates coming. I'm hoping it turns out to be a pretty cool hot rod when it's all said and done.

Brad

10. olskool34

olskool34

Are you going to get some coupe quarters and deck lid or are you fabbing it all?

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

11. Subscribed..can hardly wait. Tim

12. Pewsplace

Pewsplace

Now this should be really interesting........

13. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

I see you have the important things in a shop. Fridge, microwave,and tunes! 3w or 5w??

14. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

Looks good man, at least you've got a reasonably solid 4dr to start with. Cool!

15. Southfork

Southfork

Come on, we're waiting for installment 2 already!

16. dtracy

dtracy

Are the five window doors the same as the front doors of the four door sedan? And are the three window doors the same as the doors of a two door sedan?

Dave.

17. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

4dr and 5w doors are similar, but not the same, hinges are different, height is different... not an issue if you're chopping the car anyhow.

3w doors are the same length as 2dr doors, but the tops are different, ie: rounded at the back on the 3w.

18. flatnasty

flatnasty
    from Vancouver

[QUOTE
    Are the five window doors the same as the front doors of the four door sedan? And are the three window doors the same as the doors of a two door sedan?

Dave.
    <!-- / message -->][/QUOTE]

[QUOTE
    4dr and 5w doors are similar, but not the same, hinges are different, height is different... not an issue if you're chopping the car anyhow.

3w doors are the same length as 2dr doors, but the tops are different, ie: rounded at the back on the 3w.
    <!-- / message -->][/QUOTE]

Thunderbirdesqu Is absolutly write about that. Also If I'm not mistaken I think the 4dr doors have a bit more curve to them as well. I could be wrong their but I think that might be the case.

Brad

19. hellerlj

hellerlj
    from Minnesota

Are those coupe bodies really that hard to find ???? I traded a fairly nice 40 Ford 2dr rolling body for a '34 3 window and a 5 window body, both rust free......OH YA !!! THAT WAS 1973...
    SORRY !!!!!

20. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

Note to self; look for rumaged 2dr sedan for future build of 3w

hfh likes this.
  21. ss34coupe

ss34coupe

Brad - looking forward to your build coming together. Have fun with it.
    Steve

22. Corn Fed

Corn Fed

Tudor doors also have the hinges (at least the lower hinge) in a different location than a 3W. And the character line below the window but above the bead, are slightly different. The Tudor is straight but the 3W slightly dips downward. 99% of people wouldn't notice the difference unless they are a real 3W nut.

23. ml_engr

ml_engr

This should be good. Will be watching this one

24. Xman

Xman

Good luck Brad, I'm looking forward to seeing you do this. I know this will piss off some purists but So What!

25. Sounds real cool, im in. JW :)

26. Mindover

Mindover
    from England

Like the idea should be really nice. I didn't quite do what you're planning but I did make all the parts you will be having to make when I restored this coupe. Its all hand made...

[​IMG]

Here is a link to a thread on here with some more...

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=812987

David

CrazyDaddy, kiwijeff and mike bowling like this.
  27. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

Blindowl on the HAMB as well as the Cheaters car club in Switzerland are two more 34, 4 dr sedan to hammered 5/w coupe conversions to look up.

SAR has the 'back half'; roadster quarters that can be cut down as well as the deck lid, below deck lid panel and tulip panel for a 3/w.

One of the toughest portions to pull off is the coupe sail panel. Sedan is shaped differently (more bulbous) and always seems to look a bit awkward when cutting down into a coupe roof. Coupe rear roof beltline is also a challenge to make look right.

28. flatnasty

flatnasty
    from Vancouver

Thanks Guys!

Mindover that 3 window of yous is awesome man I wish I had a quarter your skill.

Thanks Hot rods ta hell I checked out blindowls build and the cheaters build They look pretty good. Your write SAR has all the stuff for the job but I think I would rather keep my ear to the ground and scrounge up as much Henry stuff as I can even if it`s ruff as there isn`t a lot of budget to work with here.

Brad

29. F-6Garagerat

F-6Garagerat

30. flatnasty

flatnasty
    from Vancouver

After I got all the doors lined up and body bolted down I welded the front doors shut to keep my alignment. Then I got to work on drilling all the spot welds holding the rear clip on. I took my time and tried not to make a mess as I will still be using a lot of the rear clip. When I cut the roof I left it long so I could trim it up in one nice clean cut when I got their.

Brad

Attached Files:

Pufff likes this.