Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1934 Chevy 1/2 ton Build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by redwelter, Aug 31, 2010.

1. Looks good!
    Great milestone to hit.

2. redwelter

redwelter

Thanks Flowmeister, what's happening with that cab over?

Red

3. 57chevy350

57chevy350

4. redwelter

redwelter

Today I was able to hang the driver side door. The hinges are only tacked in place for now but all the body lines look good. Tomorrow I will match the passenger side.

Attached Files:

5. You're back!
    Nice work.
    My COE is just waiting there naked for me to beat it with hammers.

6. redwelter

redwelter

Well get goin man!

Red

7. redwelter

redwelter

Here's a couple more photos.

Red

Attached Files:

8. Looking good Red! You made that door your bitch, haha!

9. redwelter

redwelter

Waz up Mike, now I have 2 bitches.

Attached Files:

10. redwelter

redwelter

So it's been a while since my last post but I have gotten some stuff done. There is a shot of my home made bender that uses the bench vice for squeezing. I have used this to bend flat stock on edge to follow the curves of the cab corners and then welded flat stock to it to end up with curved angle iron that fits the shape of the truck as seen in the other photos. This is how I am replacing the wood and this will become the supporting structure for the cab as well as just making the body panels really stiff. I am welding these pieces in to the body panels as I go and later, once all the body work is done, I think I will weld everything together to make a complete cab that will no longer come apart.

Red

Attached Files:

11. USA Tires Sign Joe

USA Tires Sign Joe
    from Western NJ

Great to see a CHEVY p/u from this era. Far too many Ford's out there. It is too bad the 265 V8 did not come out until 1955. Heck the straight six bangers are starting to grow on me when I see them hopped up at the car shows. What kind of mill do you plan on putting in it?

12. redwelter

redwelter

Joe, I love the old inline 6 when they are all tricked out but this old timer is getting a 350 for now with an 80's camaro five speed stick shift. I plan on putting a triple 2 barrel set up on the intake.

Red

13. Can you believe that people are bitching about putting a small block Chevy........in a Chevy!!!! :eek: Looks good, bud. :D

14. redwelter

redwelter

Thanks Scotch Buzzard, maybe the Ford fans have a good reason to complain about all the chevy small blocks out there but I agree, a chevy in a chevy, what am I supposed to put in it? I hope the triple deuce set up on the intake will make it look a little more vintage and I also didn't go with the turbo 350 for that reason, I can't wait to drive a stick behind a V-8, should be fun.

Red

15. redwelter

redwelter

So, I went to a hot rod fab shop to get a new back wall made for my cab and the guy didn't want to do it, he said I should look around for a better cab. I decided to go buy a bead roller and try and make one myself. Here is a photo of my original piece and the new piece. $150 bead roller and 3-2'x4' pieces of 18 guage. I had hoped to get one made all in one piece but I had to make mine out of 5 individual pieces which ended up probably making it more stiff with the lap welds.

Red

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 23, 2012
  16. 57chevy350

57chevy350

Nice work red it will be on the road in no time now !!!

17. wingedexpress

wingedexpress

Good job on the cab, nice truck.

18. skippycraig

skippycraig
    from Washington

Panel looks great!

19. redwelter

redwelter

Thanks skippy. Your 34 looks like it has quite a bit less rust than mine. Too bad you can't hold on to it. Would you consider parting it out? I need those rocker panels.

Red

20. The guy actually told you, "No, I will not take your money"?! :eek: Wow. Your panels look great, bud. :D

21. redwelter

redwelter

Well, he actually said he would take my money if I insisted but he really thought it was a better idea to get a better cab shipped up from California. Anyways, a major hurdle has been crossed and now I can continue with replacing the wood.

Red

22. I bring it up because I've had people tell me the same thing. It's always something along the lines of, "You paid money......for that?!!!!" There is something about vision. Those like us have it. Those who ask the questions sometimes don't. Your cab looks great man. One day, so will mine. :D;)

kiwijeff likes this.
  23. redwelter

redwelter

"You paid money for that?" was kind of what I was gettin from this guy, plus two out of 4 cars in his shop were fiberglass. Maybe this metal work was out of his comfort zone? Scotch, you have a build thread I can follow? Thanks for keeping up with mine dude.

Red

24. I started one on my '40 Dodge cab, but got held up on this project. Right smack in the middle of fabrication, I found out my frame was bent. Shortly following that, I was able to buy my first hot rod back, and I've been doing prep work to move it into my work space. Once I get that going, I'm going to start a build thread on it. I'll let you know for sure when I get it going. :D

It looks like Swiss cheese, but I can handle it. :D

25. redwelter

redwelter

Here's SkippyCraig's cab I just brought home. Looks like an improvement over what I have. I'll take the best of both and build one solid cab. I also ended up with a wood piece from Cactus1 way over in Kansas City! The world seems small sometimes. Thanks a lot Skippy, it was cool meeting you today and checking out your '36. They didn't give me any hassle at the border either which was cool. I'll post more pics once I have something to show.

Red

Attached Files:

26. skippycraig

skippycraig
    from Washington

Glad you got back to Canada with no problems. Bet you got lots of looks heading up I5. Let me know if you need anything else I'll be up in ferndale for US Thanksgiving

Im gonna use the cab money and reinvest in a four speed for my new PU. Just picked it up Saturday.

Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app

Attached Files:

27. redwelter

redwelter

That's gonna be sweet. My buddy just finished a 57 in dodge viper red. But they look cool in any condition, and no cab WOOD!

Red

28. redwelter

redwelter

It's been awhile since I got any work done, my compressor went down and I had to fix that first. Here is a picture of the old piece that goes over the windshield, that the windshield hinge screws to, and the new replacement piece that I made out of 16 guage. And welded in place.

Red

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 24, 2012
  29. 57chevy350

57chevy350

Cool looks great !!! Ps skippycraig Nice truck Havea look at my photos for any info you might need!
    Mark

Good work red .