Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 1933 Willy's Steel Gasser boat load of questions

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by cmb7684, Jun 12, 2014.

1. UK Slingshot

UK Slingshot

Thanks for finding out about the steering for me.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

2. edweird

edweird

yes!.....what he said!

3. edweird

edweird

4. Hello - this website was sent to me by my son. I am a former owner/driver of this
    33 Willys - J H Redmond & Sons My name is James Redmond and I live in
    Tickfaw, La.
    I would be glad to talk to you about this car and would love to see it again.
    Please email me at: [email protected]
    The picture has brought back a lot of good memories/fun with this car. I may have
    some myself.

5. lawman

lawman

It's about time someone said that !!! It's like adding air conditioning to a 60s front engine dragster because you don't want to sweat at the dragstrip !!! LOL

6. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Please send me your mother's contact info. :)

7. CGkidd

CGkidd

Oh wow. This is awesome. get with him on this. Preserve as much of the history of the car as possible.

8. rfraze

rfraze

Congratulations on the reunion. Power of the HAMB! Mark Ott even has a picture. This is great!
    I found a similar car in the late 80s and have gone thru the what-should-I-do, what-do-I-want-to-dos that you are experiencing. Mine was white with red, orange, and yellow and supposedly came thru Memphis then Texas. Every time I was about to change something major, to make it more driveable, I would come upon a better reason not to. For starters, I wanted to be able to get in it and drive it. Here's the deal: If you can cool it, you CAN drive it.
    Mine still has all the glass parts hung on the steel body and it has been driven on 3 hour drives with it's 4 gallon fuel cell and no fuel gauge sender. I drive by watch. These cars are supposed to be an adventure. Let me offer input whenever you need it.

Hope you and Mr. Redmond enjoy looking at this thread Mark started some time ago.
    (Can't find link yet) Try search function for: 1933-36 Willys Picture thread or:
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/1933-1936-willys-picture-thread.537794/page-36

003 (2).JPG

kidcampbell71 and loudbang like this.
  11. I am a former owner/driver of this J H Redmond & Sons car. Looking for pictures like this
    calendar picture
    and/or make contact with current owner in New Orleans.
    Please email me with any information: [email protected]

y'sguy likes this.
  12. abone1930

abone1930

Subscribed, The car would be worth more with the Racing history compared to a street rod. And If you are not better than novice car builders you could end up with less than it started out. Would be cheaper to get it running tweal the original chassis, keep it to the racing history and drive the hell out of it :) And id you are not used to riding in a shoert wheel base straight axel car, its a lot more bumpy and push you around than a mustang to setup. But the the straight axel in a willys is the way to go :)

13. wvenfield

wvenfield

Unfortunately it's probably running around on 20's with a crate 350 by now.

14. hotrod37

hotrod37
    from Indiana

Don't mean to steal this thread, but Mr. Redmond, I think we all would like to hear some history of the car. I would have searched A/G or the supercharged gas classes for it. The Steve Reyes picture appears to have D/G on the window. So I assume it was a small Chevy engine (i.e. 11 lbs per cu. in. or so). Just curious on what and how it ran back then.
    Thanks.

16. As a former owner/driver of this J H Redmond & Sons 33 Willys gasser,
    I am interested in the calendar where you found the picture. Appreciate any
    information you can give me.

17. Mr. Redmond,
    the person who started this thread and who's father owns the car has not been on this forum since Jan 8th 2013 so I'm pretty sure he will not be answering your request for contact. You may be able to send him a private "conversation" or possibly send an email through his profile page. Good Luck and we all on the HAMB would like to hear more about the car and it's history from when you owned and raced it.

kiwijeff likes this.
  18. rfraze

rfraze

Good thought about starting a conversation for quicker response, but looks to me like thread began June '14.
    Mark Ott (willysrule) posted the photo and you can put the cursor on his avatar to start a conversation. A google search of Steve Reyes will turn up direct info on his calendars and photography. Let us know if that does not work.

19. cmb7684

cmb7684

Mr. Redmond,

It is great to hear from you. I passed your contact information on to my Dad. He has been very busy lately but does plan to email you.

To the others no the car has not been touched as of yet and not on 22's or had a crate engine installed.

20. Woo hoo! Im glad the OP is back, good on yer man, and I hope you guys share more of this, as many here will too.
    Very cool, this could be epic :)

21. rascal55

rascal55

Please restore it like it is , an awesome car !!
    Just when you think there can't be any more out there ,

22. To make it anything other than what it is would be a damn shame.

23. elgringo71

elgringo71

It's interesting how many people have built gasser style cars over the years because a car with history can't be found or if it is it has usually been altered so much that it no longer resembles what it was and they scrounge up all of the period correct parts to make it like it was.. They build clones of cars that they liked or of cars that have been destroyed. It sounds like this car has survived for all of these years without many changes. It would be a shame to make it into something that it is not.

kiwijeff likes this.
  24. mickeyc

mickeyc

Hello Mickey C here from Metairie. I attended the races at Laplace
    and many of the other local tracks through out this region all during
    sixties until they mostly shut down.
    I do think I may recall your Wiillys but my recall does not work as well as
    it once did. What is your Dads name I may know him. I will search my photos
    and see if there may be a shot of the Willys at the track. I do hope to see it
    out and about the area when you get it running. By the way if your
    considering a vintage Hemi motor for the old school effect, I have a few.

kiwijeff likes this.
  25. I am looking forward to hearing from your dad when he is able/has the time.

26. henryj1951

henryj1951
    from USA

swade..... other that to make it MINE...LOL

27. WillysRule

WillysRule
    from Central FL

The picture came from an old calendar published by Gasser Wars Magazine. http://www.gasserwarsmagazine.com/

The picture was taken by long time drag racing photographer Steve Reyes. He has a web site and you may be able to contact him there.
    http://www.reyesontour.com/contact.html

28. Clik

Clik

Looking at that steering set up IT'S NO DAMNED WONDER it didn't handle well!

29. My dad was J. H. Redmond and I am James Redmond, Jr.
    I raced this J H Redmond Willys many times at LaPlace and Baton Rouge.
    You may remember my good friend from LaPlace, PopTop.
    Please feel free to email me at [email protected].