Register now to get rid of these ads!

1932 Roadster Frame without reveal?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Lucky Mike, Jan 24, 2013.

1. Lucky Mike

Lucky Mike

This 1932 Roadster is a car built in the early 80's. It has a 1932 title tied to the frame. The frame is right in every single aspect except it does not have the reveal. Does anyone have any idea why it would not have the reveal? One person told me that it may have been made in Germany and imported. Another person told me it was a 1932 truck frame. Another person said maybe it was an aftermarket frame, but it is absolutely correct in every way, just no reveal. Any help would be greatly appreciated. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    <o:p></o:p>

Last edited: Jan 31, 2013
  2. alchemy

alchemy

A 32 truck frame doesn't have the reveal, but it is much larger and won't fit a roadster body without extensive mods.

The likelyhood that it was German is small. And besides, I think they had a reveal anyway.

I bet it's a repro that was just made without a reveal. We need CLOSE pics, not 20 footers, to be able to provide any further info.

3. titus

titus

I dont see any rivits for the k member legs? im betting on repop

4. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

There were some aftermarket frames made about that time that didn't have the reveal in them. I can't remember who made them though.
    And there is the very unlikely but possible chance that someone thought it would look smoother if he flattened out the reveals to make the frame smoother then. We did some strange things in the 70's and early 80's that don't make a lot of sense now but we thought they were great then.

5. k32t

k32t
    from Hog town

32 pickup frame is the same as a car frame.

6. Ole don

Ole don

I had a 32 reproduction frame that was welded up from three pieces. It looked very nice, but with no reveal. I questioned the strength and quality of welding. I welded on a fourth side just because. These were produced for a very short time just before the stamped frame sides came out.

7. dugbred

dugbred

I'm probably wrong, but it seems to me there was a company called "Just A Hobby" which produced those frame rails, and it seeems like there was a connection with Barry Lobeck. Maybe 20-25 years ago?

8. Your wrong,,the '32 pickup frame defiantly has the reveal. HRP

9. As for the no reveal frames,I have a pal that built a roadster probably 15 years ago and I sent him a E-mail this morning asking who built it,,I'm thinking it's a LoBeck frame. but as soon as I hear something from him I will let you know. HRP

Last edited: Jan 24, 2013
  10. olskool34

olskool34

Maybe he was talking about a BB truck? I know those don't have the reveal and they are really big.

11. alchemy

alchemy

Read my post. It says "truck", not pickup. I know the difference. Do you?

Allmotor likes this.
  12. Yer WRONG

13. alchemy

alchemy

Show me a pic of a '32 truck (I said truck, not pickup) with the reveal.

14. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

How so? German frames have the reveal. Trucks have no reveal, only the car and commercials, including pickup, have it. Pickup is a commercial car in 1930's usage, only the BB's were classed as trucks.
    There were a lot of halfway attempts at repro 1932 frames when streetrodding started growing in the '70's. It took a while before anyone successfully produced them, and some of the successes were 3-piece welded rails before anyone financed the stamping process.
    I think that even the better early repro frames can be spotted easily because the reveal has a sort of sharp lower edge...

15. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

since when is a truck and pick up two different things? what type of frame does a 32 pickup truck have?

16. That one slid by most.:D

17. Here is a pic of a BB truck chassis also known a a '32 "Truck" chassis, not ot be confused with a pickup chassis.

No reveal.

Attached Files:

18. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Three lines, back then...cars, commercial cars, and trucks.

19. metal man

metal man

I worked there, and was a close friend to both Dave Gale (founder) and Barry, who was Dave's biggest client, and purchased Just A Hobby from Dave in 1988.

I can't believe both of those guys are gone :(

We did build an occasional frame with no reveal,upon customer's request. Remember, in the 80's the trend chasers wanted everything smooth and without character. Most of our Deuce frames did have the reveal.

20. Actually in some states, state law still makes a distinction between trucks and pickup trucks. For instance in Missouri the seat belt law excludes trucks and busses, they can still give you a ticket in a pickup because it is not a truck.

A lot of us growing up around older folks grew up with the distinction between truck and pickups. I can remember sitting at a stop light in my '46 Jailbar with my grandad and saying something about my truck and him saying this is a pickup then pointing to a loaded hay truck and saying that is a truck.

I know that it is just semantics and sometimes we got confused but sometimes you have to listen to what someone is thinking and not what they are saying.

21. metal man

metal man

I think he meant his buddy, not Barry....R.I.P.

22. metal man

metal man

Mike, post a detailed photo of the inside of a front frame horn, and some other details. If we can determine for certain that the frame rails are stamped,not fabricated, we might just learn something today.

23. Why does almost every request for information on this board turn into a dick measuring contest???

24. Trichop

Trichop
    from Eaton,Ohio

Correct...
    If I remember correctly,the early "Just a Hobby" frames had no reveal untill Barry bought the company..I remember when Barry and his helpers would hand beat the reveal in the frames

25. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

Back in the early 80's when I first started my business we had requests for deuce rails produced without the reveal. There was a time when everyone want their cars to be slick. Remember all the hidden hinge kits??? I still have a pair of the smooth side rails that had some slight blems that we never sold.

26. metal man

metal man

Well, yes and no. Dave's rails did have reveals...always, from day one,unless someone specifically ordered it otherwise.

Yes, we did pound the reveals by hand, but we had a purpose built fixture to do this with, and it worked very well.

Nothing really changed when Barry bought the place, until 1990 when he moved the whole operation to Cleveland. None of us Columbus employees made the move.

27. alchemy

alchemy

Actually Beaner, that pic is an AA frame. But '32 BB's are very similar, almost straight rails from the firewall backward. And no reveals. :)

28. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

"Why does almost every request for information on this board turn into a dick measuring contest???"

Are you kidding? We are talking '32 Ford trivia here! Get real! :)

29. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

well said.

30. Hmmmn I stole the picture from another site that said it was a BB. Well those are the kicks I guess. :D

There is a simple solution of someone wants reveals, you take a piece of brake or fuel line and weld it to the chassis then use your dremmel to sculpt it. :D

Hey while I'm at it I didn't know we were measuring dicks, I thought this was a pissing contest. Guess I'll put my toys away and wait for another thread. :rolleyes: