Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods >>>1932 Ford Phaeton: MY New Family Car!!!<<<

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by JeffreyJames, Jan 1, 2013.

1. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Actually it's a Tourer since it's technically a Australian '32 Ford Phaeton to the untrained I (including mine up until recently) they're the same. But before we get into all the nitty and gritty let me start with a back story.

We found out after we got back from the Roundup last spring that my wife and I were going to have another baby. So that's right around the time when I was buttoning up last details on my '35 which obviously is not equipped to seat 4. Well I have a '54 that's been stored for a couple years that would eventually be our family car so I didn't really see the need for another.....right away.

But as time went on and the more I messed with these old Fords, the less interested I got in ever building that '54. Not that I don't think it wouldn't make a grate car I just didn't have any interest in building it myself. So that "itch" started and I began perusing the classifieds here looking for an Early Ford Sedan....not with any real intention of buying just "scratching that itch" ya know? Well eventually I tried trading my '32 5w away for some sedans which meant it was starting to get serious and I couldn't beat the idea out of my head.

All while this is going on I have Chris Swenson here on the HAMB texting me daily telling me I'm missing out by not owning a roadster (but in his own Patronizing Sasquatch way .....this happened to be something he knows cuts deep into my soul, However owning a roadster was low on my list of priorities really because now I needed to find a family car.

Well months passed and I probably tried to trade some stuff away getting turned away each time until around the end of September after attending the TRJ Hot Rod Revival, I spotted a '32 Phaeton body here on the HAMB without looking for it at all. It just so happened to be listed that day and the idea of owning that car stewed in my head all day. I started by texting my wife sweet nothings and after about the 3rd one she knew something was up and just called and said "alright what did you find/buy?". I told her that I found a touring body and that I basically had everything to put it together. She asked how much and I told her. She basically laughed at me and said "love you but you're high".

Well she got home that night and in my persistent ways, I pitched the idea to her and painted this very dreamy picture of all of us including our kids in a roadster for 4! She still wasn't buying it until I told her that I would sell two of my cars bringing the total to a level we could store. See to me it made sense because not only was I going to sell two cars to pay this one back, but I was going to build one less car which would in turn save us money down the road AND if that wasn't enough, I told here it actually saves us from ever buying a '32 roadster (if it was ever possible) later on in life to satisfy that "roadster itch" Chris Swenson gave me like a bad case of herpes.

So now what this Phaeton added up to was 3 cars I've always wanted all wrapped up into one which makes a lot of sense to me and for that short time period that weekend it made sense to my wife too (sucker :D:D:D). So I called up and struck a deal to buy it after some questions were answered. When we buy anything over $500 I get really nervous......in fact the last time we bought a TV I broke out in hives and almost needed to sit down. Point being when it's something like this I almost have a panic attack....but that thought of the car eventually calmed my nerves every time I thought about our bank account being depleted.

So what was the exact deal I agreed to with my wife to get this? I have to sell my '32 5w and the '54 Chevy that I have and the total has to amount to what I paid for the tub otherwise I have to keep selling things until I reach that goal.....even if it means selling off my '33 as well. So I have a year to do so....otherwise I'm in the dog house but today.....today my friends I'm riding high and really stoked about this car.

[​IMG]

The car was located in Washington and the only thing I really could go off is pics. But since the car was owned by a man named Dave who had the TRJ cover car last month (Red '34 Roadster) that gave me some assurance that it was probably pretty nice and I could trust his word. And it just so happened that my Sasquatch friend Chris wasn't too far and eased the deal furthermore by being able to not only go look at the car but also grab it for me and store it along with the help of his brother Cory (who I like much much more).

I think Chris was able to grab the car before it was actually paid for if I remember right. It was safe and sound back in Spokane before I even knew it! But I live in Charlotte, NC so it was still on the other side of the country so it was still very far away and I wouldn't dare ask my wife Davina for even more to get it here....at least not under normal shipping circumstances. Originally Chris said he might be able to bring it down to the Roundup in 2013 but that didn't pan out since there was a lot of uncertainty, and because Cory's girlfriend was storing the car in her garage, I felt the pressure to get it out of there ASAP. Well that's where my good bud Dustin comes into play. He works at a shipping supply company and mentioned that we might be able to go outside the box and ship the car on a semi truck if we put it on a pallet. It was a little bit of a gamble since we hadn't ever heard of it being done but we decided that was the only way I could afford to get the car here.

So the plan was have Chris build a 5x8 pallet using 4x4's and the skids and 2x4's on top for the deck all designed by ScooterMcRad since he's a dear friend and an engineer. The original quote for having it shipped was $230.86 with the guesstimated weight being 300lbs. Well it ended up being a little heavier then that and when Chris delivered it to the shipping yard he didn't say a word knowing damn well it was at least double that to see if it went through.

Fast forward to a couple weeks ago when the car arrived here in Rockwell, NC where Dustin works. It got here fine and the car appeared to be in just as good of condition as described but the shippers were on to us and the invoice said $838!!!!!! Well by a twist of fate, it just so happened that a national rep for the shipping company was there to hear the secretary bitch about the misquote on the shipping, that he took care of the "mixup" and must have knocked a bit more off to keep good relations with the supply company. The final invoice to ship an 850lbs 8x5 pallet from Spokane, Washington to Charlotte, NC ended up being $176!!!! Holy shit, that was a crisis averted if I've ever seen one.

So that's basically the story so far. I have a ton of parts to build this car but I won't get to touch it for a year or two while I'm putting the 5w together to sell but I'm just really grateful that I have it and it will someday cart my growing family around and make some really special memories.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The car is really really solid with no evidence of patch panels ever being put in. There might be 3 quarter size holes that need to be fixed but other then that it's pretty amazing. Even the wood is really nice and doesn't need to be touched until it's time to completely restore the body.

BUILD PLAN

Paul Gommi's 32 Phaeton is a big influence on this car. If it weren't for that car, I don't think I'd look at a Phaeton as a Hot Rod. So there's definitely going to be similarities however, I'm hoping to simplify the car with less stuff added on. What I would like this car to be is the mix of Veda Orr's roadster (any version) and Vic Edelbrock Sr.s roadster but in Touring body form.

-Shiny Black paint eventually
    -Undropped '32 Axle
    -Reversed Eyed Spring
    -Flattened Model A Cross Member
    -Unsplit Wishbone
    -59a Flathead
    -Weiand High Rise 2x2 intake with 97's
    -Weiand Cheater Heads
    -Modified Bob Drake Headers
    -'39 Ford transmission
    -'46-'48 Columbia 2spd Rear end
    -Flattened '40 Ford rear Crossmember
    -17" Wire Wheels with 5.50/7.00 Firestones
    -Possibly 16" 40 ford wheel just up front
    -Veda SPL caps
    -Lyon Wheel Disks (if I can find a set)
    -Stock Gas Tank
    -Stock '32 Grille shell with insert painted black
    -25 louver hood (repop since OG's are $$$)
    -Chopped & leaned Windshield
    -Brown leather interior
    -Brown leather full hood straps over entire hood
    -32 Steering wheel
    -F1 Box
    -Lincoln Brakes
    -2-5/8" acc gauges and 5" tach center mounted
    -Stained wood floors up front perhaps
    -Smaller headlights not sure on exact ones
    -'39 Chevy or '37 Ford Tail lights

I want it to appear to be a car from around 1941 or perhaps an immediate postwar hot rod. Black Paint from head to toe and a fresh cast aluminum where applicable. Nothing superfluous or unneeded.

Don't expect any updates for a while but when I get started next year I'll start a build thread. These photos are from when Dave was selling it. I really don't have any good ones while it's here since my garage is packed to say the least.

thanks for looking!!!

2. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

The Phaetons from down under have a smooth back panel and the US one have two large seams ... if my memory serves me correctly :)

Congratulations ...

Nothing like riding down the highway with the wind in your hair ... :eek:

3. ken1939

ken1939

I concur. I have an Aussie Tub that I mean to build this spring. They did hammerweld the rear seams. Based on the wood in the doors, and the wooden body rails, I knew it was from Oz.

Great body, nice score!

4. Good story....Congrats on both babies.....

Last edited: Jan 1, 2013

5. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

There's also the difference of door handle placement, side bead difference and the obvious that there's not inner door structure other then wood much like American 33-36 roadsters. The Subrails are also wood which is pretty neat. Definitely reminds you that these cars are in fact 81 years old!!!

Thanks so much guys!

6. dad-bud

dad-bud

Great looking body, but I think you've got it slightly wrong - we in Australia are supposed to buy all your cars and bring them over here - not the other way around!!!
    Send it to me, and we'll be OK.
    Cheers.

7. Very nice score! Where in Washington was it located?

8. bubba67

bubba67
    from NJ

Congrats JJ, one of my favorite tubs is the Washington blue Lokar company car.

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

9. Lucky Mike

Lucky Mike

Great find! Rare one!

10. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Haha!!! I'm one for one. I sold a 32 3w with a friend to Europe this past fall and got a Australian Body car all within a few weeks of each other. Even Steven!

I'm not sure what part of Washington. A couple hrs from Spokane.

11. 345winder

345winder
    BANNED

AWESOME! .. i LOVE Paul Gommi's 32,.... yours will make a killer ride !!!

btw... if you wanted a family hot rod, all you had to do was trade me your 33 for my sedan body,easy!!;) :p

12. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Jeffrey,
    This is my friend's Aussie 32, it just left my shop 5 minutes ago, his Dad bought it at the Reno Swap Meet in 1977, he got from him a few years ago and it is coming along nicely. He built steel inner structures for the doors, re-hung and latched them as well. Notice the center panel behind the front seat, it didn't have a bead around the top originally. Good luck with your project.

Attached Files:

13. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

This is where Id like to see mine only less fluff so my wallet and wife don't hate me.

[​IMG]

14. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Haha, damn it. Why didn't I think of that?! I just must have figured you didn't like coupes since the last one was only here for a short time. :D

Wow!!! Nice work!!!

Thanks! I'm really excited!! The due date is only 5 weeks or less away and we're expecting a little baby girl named Veda Rey.

15. I'm glad you got it. Dave's a hell of a guy, and yes he let me take it before you paid for it :)

Now build it ;)

16. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Haha, I thought so. Who would trust you? Well besides me that is :D:D:D

Soon enough my friend, gotta make momma happy first!

17. Dave M in Wenatchee had it

18. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

I now wish I had an original frame to put under it. I'm gonna get picky I know it...

19. captain scarlet

captain scarlet
    from Detroit

That will be a cool looking ride. I like tubs with out fenders

20. Rob Paul

Rob Paul

Thats a clean project. Cant wait to see it come together.

Rob

21. Congratulations,,on both the 4 door roadster and the announcement of the addition to the family.

Looking forward to seeing the build,, HRP

22. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

banging

head

on

keyboard

lucky basturd

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  23. Smokey2

Smokey2

Jeff, Congrats fer Sure ! I Love It When A Plan Comes Together, Been There, Done That....Selling Two, to get One.

Will Be Following..........................................Thanks, Smoke.
    Not Kool Anymore.....

24. Pewsplace

Pewsplace

Nice score, you will love the phaeton. Paul's is my dream car also but without all the do-dads he installed. I see the car all the time as he drives it all over LA. He is a nice guy and can offer you some hints if you need them. He also sells lots of parts.

Congratulations of having two new babies at once.

25. Jeff, you picked a great '32 Tub for inspiration!:cool:
    Subscribed!

26. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Thanks everyone, your positive words are appcreciated!!! I really am chomping at the bit to get going on it. I'm sure I'll pick up a few things here and there for it through out the year. Hopefully I'll have some money save for Hershey this year so i can get an original Firewall and Grille shell.

I have the frame Ionia built for me and it's really about the nicest frame I could ask for. I'm not sure if I'm going to include that with the sale of the 5w and find an original OR keep it for this and just build a perimeter frame for the coupe. Have to toss that around some more in my head to see if it makes sense.

Thanks!! Yeah I've only seen the car once at GNRS and it blew me away. The finish on the heads and such is beautiful and I'm kicking myself in the head for not doing it first. Very very cool.... I'm with you though, while the car is absolutely stunning and I respect ever piece on it, I would have done away with all the trinkets and Triumph mufflers and fancy grille shell....for one I can't afford it and for two, I like everything stripped of stuff that's not necessary. I'm the kind of person that wouldn't even put headlights on a car like that if it wasn't so necessary hahaha!!

27. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

I like them better with fenders :)
    Like the Lokar Phaeton

[​IMG]

Dick Scritchfield ... The founding father of the LA Roadsters Club and a member for many years ... also has a Phaeton from OZ.

[​IMG]

The above photo was taken in 1975 :eek: :eek:

He now lives in Hawaii

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 1, 2013
  28. bluesman

bluesman
    from spring tx

Way to go JJ nice project....

29. bonesy

bonesy

That's going to be killer. I can't wait to watch this build up. Way to go.

30. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

You like everything with fenders better Randy!!! :D I actually like the 32 Phaetons the best because they really lend themselves to taking the fenders off which is what I've always wanted. A black, wirewheeled, flatmotor powered early ford! I do like them with fenders but I think my 35 is the only car I'm going to have with fenders from here on out.

Thanks again guys!!!