Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 1932 Ford Hot - Street - Rods with a CUSTOM feel

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Rikster, Dec 10, 2011.

1. Rikster

Rikster

I know the 1932 Ford are primarily seen as Hot Rods, or Street Rods (and of coarse as restored stocker, but lets leave those out here), but especially back in the late 1930's and 1940's there where quite a few 1932 Fords that had a certain Custom Car feel to them.

I'm not sure if I would ever feel comfortable calling a 1932 Ford a Custom Car, but I do feel that these cars look very good "customized". They get a very classy, and stylish look, when this is done right. Usually they have a level stance with Custom bumpers, hubcaps, chopped tops and in case of convertibles, possibly a padded top.

At the 2010 GNRS Customs Then & Now show we had the Harry Westergard 1932 Ford with Cadillac windshield molded in and Padded top. It was hard to convince the rest of the crew to get this car into the show, since all the other people involved felt that the 32 Fords could only be a Hot or Street Rod. But after showing them some of the photos in this post and some more talking the general feel about the 32 Ford as a very early sample of Customizing was accepted into the show.

Personally I have always liked this Customized look of the 1932 Fords, but thats no strange thing since I love Custom Cars. And I have always wondered why we don't see more 1932 Fords done in this stylish Customizing style…

Below are some samples of Customized 1932 Ford I have found, I guess there are plenty more, but since I'm a Custom Car guy my Hot Rod photo archive is not as well stocked as my Custom Car archive is… So if you have more to ad to this… please do.

This is the Harry Westergard 1932 Ford that was at the GRNS Customs then & Now event. It is perhaps not the best sample since it still has a Hot Rod stance (at least that is what it has now) and no fenders nor bumpers. But it does have a molded in angled back windshield, and padded top.

[​IMG]

Here is a bit better sample. An early customizing effort by George Barris on his personal 1932 Ford Roadster. Teardrop shaped headlights and full hubcaps.

[​IMG]

1932 Ford Cabriolet with chopped windshield and Padded top. Single Bar ripple disk hubcaps, Custom Bumpers, teardrop headlights and level stance with same tire size all around. (Bart Bartoni photo from a Don Montgomery book)

[​IMG]

Another 32 Ford Cabriolet (with full doors) with a chopped windshield and padded top and 1937 De Soto bumpers.

[​IMG]

Unfortunately I was only able to find this very low res photo of Jack Dorn's 1932 Ford Roadster.
    Jack's Roadster has body work done by Jimmy Summers who modified the hood to have the DuVall windshield fit in place. Jack used the DuVall windshield once used by Duane Spencer on his Model A. Later Duane would buy this car from Jack, and would be come the Duane Spencer 32 Ford Roadster after he had removed the fenders.
    But I actually like the look of this car even better with the fenders on, and the padded top mounted to the DuVall windshield. It looks like Jack used 1941 Ford bumpers, but that is hard to see in this photo. I hope somebody has a better scan of this car in this version.

[​IMG]

This photo from the Maybelline archive shows another 1932 Ford Roadster with some Custom touches, and even though it also has a slight forward rake I still like to see it as customized. Full hubcaps and 34 Ford bumpers with a chopped top, and angled back windshield.

[​IMG]

A 1932 Ford 5-window chopped coupe, channeled over the frame with Olds bumpers, chrome grille shell and same size tires and level stance.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Anybody have more photos of the 1932 Fords with a Custom feel?

2. Pinstriper40

Pinstriper40

I really like that coupe! Love the chromed grille shell, and those bumpers look like they'd actually protect the car!

3. I have always thought Dr Wetzel's '32 as a custom hot rod.
    [​IMG]
    wetzhel by Jimmy Bs 1925 Chev, on Flickr

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Tony LaMasa roadster
    [​IMG]

Duke Hallock's roadster
    [​IMG]

4. Ralph Turnberg

Ralph Turnberg
    Member Emeritus

Someone should be able to come up with pics of the old Sal Rizzo '32 cabrio from Massachusetts. Built in the 50's. Channeled, clamshell fenders,chromed Packhard windshield,handmade grille. It's been on e-bay recently.Sorry I don't have a photo. Car was also owned at one time by Wallace Packhard,I believe.

5. 327-365hp

327-365hp
    from Mass

Attached Files:

6. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

[​IMG]

Just to be technically correct..this is a rare sport coupe and not a cabriolet. Only about 2700 were made. It's chopped but the basic body is the same as Henry made it. The doors are the same as a 5W coupe.

7. Kripfink

Kripfink
    Member Emeritus

As a custom guy, I don't really have much time for hot rods as they all look pretty much the same to me (shock, horror!!!), But this one actually takes my breath away. Who wants to run Fenderless when they can make your car look like this. To me, this is what hot Rod should look like. Perfect.

[​IMG]

Oh, and please excuse my ignorance if I'm wrong, but is this the car that I have seen pictures of Ricky Nelson driving? Something about it is ringing a bell somewhere in my memory.

Paul

Last edited: Dec 10, 2011
  8. Dago 88

Dago 88
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

As soon as I read the heading, these two come to mind.

Attached Files:

9. Rikster

Rikster

Thanks... I figured it was a Sport Coupe, but since the book mentioned it being a Cabriolet I was not sure...

10. Rikster

Rikster

A couple more...

Both survivors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And a sectioned and chopped four door... not sure if it was ever finished.

Scan from the Troyz Collection

[​IMG]

11. Bob McGee roadster has quite a list of subtle mods which today is the norm but for 1948 it was radical

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  12. Yes, it is often referred to as the "Ricky Nelson roadster".

13. Kripfink

Kripfink
    Member Emeritus

Thanks Jimmy B, and thanks Rik, finally a hotrod thread that I can relate to!!! Subscribed.
    Paul

14. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

Rik.. not a 32.. but Roy Drapel's A can qualify as Custom/Hotrod.
    he is enjoying himself as we speak right now at the Revolution.....

Attached Files:

15. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

HHHMMMMNNN, Hot rods Kripfink can deal with, and Customs I can stand! I do like this late thirties semi custom look on earlier cars. I do have to point out that the last "32" roadster in your pictures with the '34 bumpers is actually a '30 or '31 "A". Keep it up though, good stuff.

16. truckedup 28

truckedup 28

i like the beach boys coupe

Attached Files:

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  17. oldandkrusty

oldandkrusty

Isn't the chopped and sectioned deuce fordoor the one started by Tom McKewen for a "Street Rodder" project??? My old and tired memory says yes, but ...

18. Rikster

Rikster

If Street Rodder was around in the late 1940's....

19. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

Lil Coffin would Qualify I assume.....tognotti had a custom flair.... so did the Kassa coupe...

Attached Files:

20. George Duvall built custom trucks for So Cal Plating. I think this one is a '32 but could be a '33.

[​IMG]

21. troylee

troylee

That Westergard roadster always makes me all tingley inside. I must be in love.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2011
  22. alumslot

alumslot

I don't know who this car belongs to but I think it fits here. I took the photos at a small show in MI. in 2009.

Jim

Attached Files:

23. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

The channeled 32 coupe with the 58 Mercury taillights molded into the roof was a Chevy wasn't it? I thought it was ugly as sin but it made an ass load of magazines at the time.

24. bob t!

bob t!
    BANNED

Even the most hard core hot rod is probally customized but we don't look at it as a custom. Chopped,chanelled, filled cowel vent ,filled grill shell, shaved trunk lid, diffrent taillights , nerf bar bumpers etc etc etc. Thats why hot rods and kustoms go so well together. Sometimes the line gets very blurred

25. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Jeff, assuming you have this issue, would it be possible for you to scan and post the article on the turquoise coupe the arrow is pointing at?

Attached Files:

26. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

Will do George....I can get done in just a few hours..

27. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

No rush. And thanks a bunch. thats one issue I have never owned, always coveted. Maybe one of these days I will run across it at a swap meet somewhere.

28. 60'shotrod

60'shotrod

Great thread, I do like Hot Rods with Custom style, thats if indeed they are Hot Rods?

Nick.

29. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Ha!
    You got my friend Craig's "The Liberace" in the top row dead center! Put allot of hours in on that one, and learned allot about custom paint just watching it go together. 'Course, that was the car that defined the difference between custom guys and hot rod guys for me too. He and I haven't really spoken in about a year over an arguement about customs vereses hot rods...

30. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

I guess the ones I posted were a lot of early 60's influence....When folks were really experimenting...some worked... Quite a few did not.
    I feel the early Stucky car was bordering on the fine line of tacky and ugly... but that is just my personal feeling.
    As it fully developed into the first phase of Lil Coffin..I like the fluidity much better.
    Your buddy's car has a very tasteful appeal.