Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1932 Chevrolet coupe build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HotRodBen1987, Jul 30, 2009.

1. HotRodBen1987

HotRodBen1987
    BANNED

Started out as a dirt track body, then a yard ornament, and now I decided to build a car. Doors were all welded shut and back window cut out. Not much to start with but somethins better than nothin. Planning on cutting the top 3", 4" channel, home-made 2x3 frame Zed front and rear, ford wishbone front axle, 9 inch ford rear, 283 with tri power, t56 trans, 16" or 17" steelies. I'm not really in a big hurry, my time and funds won't let me be, but hope this will be a fun car when done.

Here it is when it was a yard ornament (already stripped most of the paint off)
    [​IMG]

Uncut and stripped
    [​IMG]

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  2. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Cool. The plans sound nice enough and I am sure with the amount of people building early Chevy's it seems on here, any questions that you have may get answered rather quickly. Keep us posted.

Since I am not heading that direction anymore I might mention that a '32 Ford perimeter frame was looking pretty rad under my car a couple months ago. That might be another idea.

[​IMG]

3. Peelout30

Peelout30
    from Missouri

always nice to see an early chevy build keep up the good work

4. Deuce Chev

Deuce Chev
    from Pacific NW

I'll be watching this thread! I am building a 5 window 32 Chev also. I'll be interested in how the chop comes out. I am debating as to chop or not chop mine.....

5. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

I think models A's look good unchopped but I think that Chevy's always need at least a little off the top.

6. +

hmmmmm...
    this one is unchopped and gives me a boner!
    Kinda the route mine will go....

[​IMG]

7. sawbuck

sawbuck
    from 06492 ct

lookin good ....a chevy cool

8. Levis Classic

Levis Classic

Good to see something different than a Ford - don't get me wrong A well done Ford in nice but I like the more off brands.

9. motoandy

motoandy
    from MB, SC

Leave the full brim. After all it won't look like everyone else's. Good luck.

10. That looks like a pretty solid start. I'll be keeping an eye on this build as I am trying to stick a Chevy back together myself.

11. ill bet it was fun undoing those doors. great start, cant wait to see what you goner do with it.

12. Nice project. Does it still have the wood? I'm assuming it does by the way it's standing stout.

13. 8flat

8flat

I'd chop it at least 3" and lean the posts back. Good looking car. There was an old thread about replacing wood, Plowboy piped up that he bought an inexpensive square tubing roller and replaced the wood in a chevy in about a weekend, so it's not as bad as people think. My '33 chevy is at about the same stage as yours.

14. xderelict

xderelict
    Member Emeritus

About 2 1/2'' is proportionaly right,any thing more is way cooler.:D

15. Ghost28

Ghost28

Your gonna do fine around here with all this input. I already built a 32 chevy with a 4 inch chop front and 1 inch through the back window. More of a wedge design, but I liked it. not enough to keep it I guess. But it was a lot of fun and it seems chevys are the only cars I
    build, prolly cause I can aford them. As said before I'm gonna follow your build...ghost

What year grille are you using? I used a 34 chevy on mine.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2009
  16. Slickster51_50

Slickster51_50

Hell you shold check out my 32 chevy build! I am going unchopped but going with a 5 inch channel. Runnin a 283 with a temporary tunnel ram but eventually gonna get a 4x2 intake setup.It has a 9in. rear a Super bell dropped tube axle Pete n Jakes Parallel 4 bar out front and a Speedway Polished stainless 4 link n the rear.

17. nice 32 -I have a 33 and a 40 two door sedan
    <---

18. HotRodBen1987

HotRodBen1987
    BANNED

Yeah I have a Model A tudor sedan that is channeled 4 inches but no chopped top. I think this car will be different but a lot of fun. And no there isn't any wood it was all gutted and welded up to be run as a dirt track body. Here are some more pictures I just didnt have time to put up earlier today.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. Falcon

Falcon
    from nevada

Looking good Ben.

20. DMFB

DMFB

Wish I had something in my yard that cool, haha. Bitchin...and I get happy everytime I see someone building an old Chevy.

21. 35mastr

35mastr
    from Norcal

You are making some good time on that build. I wil be following this one also as I have my Pontiac to get back to.

22. Ghost28

Ghost28

At your age, and the talent you are showing on this build WOW...John

23. ST. 515

ST. 515
    from TEXAS

Its nice to see other 32chevy builds are out there. Looke like you are getting off to a great start. Keep it coming, I'll be watching.
    Good luck!

-Saint

24. HotRodBen1987

HotRodBen1987
    BANNED

Thanks guys and for those of you that have built these cars or are in the process of building...what did you do for your roofs (patch, fill, etc.?) I can't decide but im kinda leaning toward just putting a patch back up there. Also, I want to run the steering box out the side of the cowl with drag link running up to the front axle. Any suggestions? Thanks

25. ST. 515

ST. 515
    from TEXAS

You should find as many photos of things you like, weight the pros and cons. I spent a lot of time setting up my chassis and body. You need to have a game plan to build the type of hotrod you want. Look in my album to see some pics of my 32 coupe build. I have a 1000 more pics if you want them. Hope this helps.

-Saint

26. Big Tony

Big Tony

Looks killer...can't wait to see and follow this build. Love the look of ol dirt track style. Good luck and keep us posted

27. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

28. Great job/work so far - it's already been a nice ride for you so far just in the build process!

29. HotRodBen1987

HotRodBen1987
    BANNED

Just a quick pic of the dash cut down and set in the car. It's out of a 54 Chevy truck. What do yall think?

[​IMG]

30. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

I like it!!!! Man you are definitely making me feel like a slack ass. Nice work.