Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1931 Model A Coupe Y-Block Build (Father&Son)

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by NathanxStewart, Jan 4, 2016.

1. Thank you sir! They actually go over the frame and just because we think it looks nicer.

2. It took us a while! Haha. Thank you!

3. mike bowling

mike bowling

You gonna leave the "paint" the way it is?? That coupe has an attitude 10 ft. wide right now.
    Great job. ( I think someone already told you that, but it's a fact!)

metal man and NathanxStewart like this.
  4. Nathan,
    Was wondering why on psgr side of the engine your header pipes cross over on the 2nd and 3rd exhaust port. does it have to do with the firing order of the y-block? Or are you trying to attain a certain exhaust tone? Keep up the great looking work!
    Brad.[/QUOTE]

It has to do with the firing order! Here's a drawing of how it works if are curious or need to know. You see how each head has two Y's? The object of tri Y headers is for the two exhaust valves that feed any one of those Y's to be as far apart on the firing order as possible. That increases the velocity of the exhaust gases leaving through the header, because there is only exhaust from one valve going through any Y at any time. Then they all come together in the third Y.
    4 into 1 type headers with collectors are really better suited for race cars that are running high RPM all the time.
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1454024961.212241.jpg

5. Thank you sir!

6. Hey thanks man!!

7. Me too[/QUOTE]

It has to do with the firing order! Here's a drawing of how it works if are curious or need to know. You see how each head has two Y's? The object of tri Y headers is for the two exhaust valves that feed any one of those Y's to be as far apart on the firing order as possible. That increases the velocity of the exhaust gases leaving through the header, because there is only exhaust from one valve going through any Y at any time. Then they all come together in the third Y.
    4 into 1 type headers with collectors are really better suited for race cars that are running high RPM all the time.
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1454025863.662523.jpg

8. No I think I'm going to do a two tone, thorn brown, and black. It's one of the original Model A colors. My dads Model A phaeton is that color and my grandpas Model A coupe was that color from '78-'81. I just think it'd be cool to do mine that color. Plus it's a good color combination, I really like earth tones. Thank you again! Hahah I think just a couple of times but I won't get tired of hearing it!

loudbang likes this.
  9. Had a good friend machine some header caps for me
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1454026727.907558.jpg
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1454026823.391436.jpg

kiwijeff, birdog, D-Russ and 3 others like this.
  10. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Vroom.......vroom..............................VROOOOOOOOOOOM!
    BLAT!-BLAT!-BLAT!-BLAT!-BLAT!-BLAT!-BLAT!
    ERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRT!!!!!!!
    WAAAAAAH!:eek: WAAAAAAH!:eek: WAAAAAAH!:eek: WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH:eek:!...

:)

11. Dino 64

Dino 64
    from Virginia

I like them even more now!

NathanxStewart likes this.
  12. metal man

metal man

Because of the caps, or because of Rick's wonderful interpretation ?

13. Dino 64

Dino 64
    from Virginia

14. Had the sun visor louvered!
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1454295798.390081.jpg

kiwijeff and D-Russ like this.
  15. Jake Sippl

Jake Sippl
    from Detroit MI

NathanxStewart and metal man like this.
  16. Super Streak

Super Streak
    from Florida

That is a very impressive build, it's great to see your keeping it all Ford. Good luck with it and keep up the great work!

NathanxStewart and metal man like this.
  17. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

View attachment 3119342 [/QUOTE]

They actually number the cylinders down each bank like that? I'm not familiar with Y block engines, but on most V configuration engines I'm familiar with the cylinders are odd numbered on one bank and even numbered on the other. So 1 & 2 would not be next to each other, each is on a different bank.

18. I really like some details on your project, especially the radiator inlet, the filling reservoir and the fan shroud
    We've made one for my modified but to hide the electric fan (yes I know... it's not so cool :/)

mini-2013-07-22 12.06.45.jpg
    In place :

mini-2013-07-22 12.26.07.jpg

I also have a A coupe project with a Y-block engine so I will follow yours with interest :)

19. metal man

metal man

They actually number the cylinders down each bank like that? I'm not familiar with Y block engines, but on most V configuration engines I'm familiar with the cylinders are odd numbered on one bank and even numbered on the other. So 1 & 2 would not be next to each other, each is on a different bank.[/QUOTE]

Yep, just like a flathead... And most other Ford V8's

Last edited: Feb 1, 2016
    rpm56, loudbang and NathanxStewart like this.
  20. metal man

metal man

Here you go, Blues4u. I'm not sure why it's so blurry, but I think it's readable.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 1, 2016
    loudbang and NathanxStewart like this.
  21. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

Thanks, I learned something today, so whatever else happens the day is a success!

22. Thanks Jake!

Jake Sippl likes this.
  23. Thank you! I like old ford parts and that's what was free! Haha

rpm56 and loudbang like this.
  24. Thank you! Nice that looks good. Hey an electric fan still gets the job done! Any pictures of the coupe project? Love to see them.

25. Fabricated brackets for my front brake hoses to mount to.

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1454382542.223978.jpg
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1454382579.177761.jpg
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1454382629.764595.jpg

D-Russ, loudbang and BradinNC like this.
  26. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

I like the exhaust system except for one thing, the crossover pipe.
    I have been told over and over again by many old time hot rodders that a flathead and or a Y Block will sound better without a crossover.
    So, on my RPU, no crossover.
    The stainless looks good, I went with steel and will have the whole exhaust system ceramic coated. They do a nice job and the coating is inside as well.

loudbang and NathanxStewart like this.
  27. From our experiences, crossover pipes always sound better with whatever engine and it makes more power in most cases as well. I guess it depends on what sound you want. My headers will be ceramic coated inside and out, but the stainless will be left bare.

BigChief and loudbang like this.
  28. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Well, that may be true for modern engines as for power production, but I have some friends who grew up with the Flatheads and hot rodded them.
    They will tell you otherwise as far as power or sound goes.

29. Yes of course, but the frame at this time... I'm working to rebuild my old farm since one year and that takes all my time.

The idea is here :
    test-c15.jpg

And 2 piccs from the frame :

cha192.jpg
    cha212.jpg

The build thread is here :
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/no-compromise-ford-a-coupe.924570/

Thanks for interest :)

AHotRod and NathanxStewart like this.