Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 1929 roadster hi boy what's it worth

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by perk30, Oct 22, 2016.

1. perk30

perk30

Looking at a '29 hi boy roadster a friend wants to sell. Currently has a '62 sbc 283 that is in need of a rebuild and a decent powerglide transmission. Has the original gas tank in the cowl and the body is very solid with door patch panels that were very well done , and has an older flat black paint job.Has rumble deck lid, basically no interior except for a cloth covered bench seat of unknown origin and no top. Frame is well done with split bones , very heavy dropped axle and disc brakes up front and an 8" rear end out back with coil overs. Has older bias ply wide whites with painted steel wheels. Car was built around 25 years ago.Looking for opinions on the value with the tired engine or without the engine and transmission. Want to be fair on my offer but also don't want to over pay so looking for some opinions. Thanks

2. perk30

perk30

Sorry didn't take any pics when I first saw it cause I didn't know it was going to be for sale.

3. Check prices in the classifieds and other "for sale" sites. Then deduct for the $ it needs to get it up to par. I'm think the prices run any where from 12g up. Needing at least an engine and trans would be at least a 2-3g deduct for "new" parts. This is just a place to start the thinking process. Tim

lothiandon1940 likes this.

4. upspirate

upspirate

$2000-$20,000........depends. Need pics to narrow down that range

5. oj

oj

That sounds like you'd be tearing completely apart and redoing everything. I'd consider it a pile of parts and give fair offer for that.
    I'm not trying to be a smartass, its just that once you pull the motor for freshen up then you'd want to change the tranny and might as well pull the body for new brakelines and better suspension stuff then you'd do a build thread and those new wilson welding brakes you've always....see what I mean?

6. perk30

perk30

Tim & oj thanks for your responses. Have been looking at the classified ads and trying to figure what my future expenses would come to vs what a finished car is selling for. I agree that if/when I pull the engine it will be the beginning of a major project.

7. mike bowling

mike bowling

Pictures definitely help, BUT---Got a title with it? Very important in some states (Mass. for one) not so much in others. If it's ALL there and the body is SOLID, it's got upgraded brakes and the work is clean and well done, for a ballpark I'd say you're in the 7 -10 grand range. Everything might not work, but it's a lot of parts and its all layed out already. If you bought it re-done, it might be in the 14-18 grand range.
    A Brookville "body only" will set you back 7 grand + these days. This is the real deal. They squeak and shake and are a little scarey, but that's what makes them COOL; a real hot rod. And they made LOTS of them, so parts are around.
    BUT WE NEED PICTURES!!! This is like trying to guess what the girl on the other end of a phone conversation looks like based on her voice!!

lothiandon1940 and loudbang like this.
  8. dan31

dan31

Without seeing it,hearing it,touching it, its all guess work. A lot also depends on your local market. Sounds like its really a project car more or less. Around here something like that may be any where from 10k to 16ish.

9. Where to start,no photos so it just boils down to what we have been told.

The engine needs rebuilding,it has a power glide which is good for racing but probably needs updating.

Original cowl gas tank,so it 87 years old and just waiting to spring a leak, has been built 25 years ago,no top or interior.

$2,300 is top dollar. HRP

Last edited: Oct 22, 2016
  10. Ghost28

Ghost28

With a title I would offer around 5,000.00 to 6,000.00 and see what he says. consider it a builder.

11. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'd agree with Ghost28 in that if it has a clear title and current registration 5 to 6 K sounds like a reasonable starting point but may be a tad light with the parts involved. . Clear title with current registration is a plus as it is a hassle reducer. Old title in someone else's beside the current owner's name and no registration may not be a real deduct but don't add much value. In Pa I'd think a clear and correct PA title and current registration is probably worth around a K over a similar car without those being up to date.
    You have to figure that the body by it's self will bring between 3 and 6 K in different areas of the country and a rolling Chassis with those pieces probably goes for at least 2 K and maybe more.
    Probably best to ask what figure he has in mind and go from there though. He may think either way in that to him it could still be that cool roadster with a 283 and what not that is worth far more than what it is or he could see it as a tired rod that needs a full redo before it can go again and just want to unload it and move on.

mike bowling likes this.
  12. perk30

perk30

Thanks for all the replies. Going to see the owner and the car Tuesday. Will get some pics then. Thanks again

13. mike bowling

mike bowling

I totally disagree, mon ami.
    Around here any complete Model A "BODY ONLY" goes for 2 grand if it's in the "normal" condition ( lower 6" GONZO) He's talking "roadster" too- if it's complete and solid, and the money's right, it's a no brainer. (Model A roadster DOORS are 5-600 bucks a pair ( or MORE).
    Judging by his avatar, which is a pisser little coupe, this ain't his first rodeo.
    Unless you buy something all gussied up for 25 grand, you're going to spend money on it; it's part of the fun. ( and we all need some of that- life's too short)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 23, 2016
  14. yep.....show me where there's some $2500 roadsters that just need engine/trannie work.........if it's a nice car $5 grand would be good.....drive train's are easy....

15. Jimmy2car

Jimmy2car
    from No. Cal

I wouldn't pay more than 4K, if that

16. perk30

perk30

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg Here's some pics
    Yes I bought it.

17. So, after we gave you all that help, are you going to tell us how much you paid for it?:D

lothianwilly71 likes this.
  18. Binger

Binger
    from wyoming

Looks better than you described. Have fun with it!

19. mike bowling

mike bowling

Well, one guy said " $2300. top dollar", another "wouldn't pay over 4 grand", I'd say if you got it for under 15 grand, ya done good. Looks pretty COOL.
    Seat looks like a Dodge Caravan unit- get a Mexican blanket, and done.
    Congratulations either way- have fun, drive safe!

Last edited: Oct 25, 2016
  20. wheeldog57

wheeldog57

I'm w/Mike, try to find anything close to this for under ten grand. NO F-ING WAY

Sent from my SM-G900V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

21. oj

oj

Dunno about how well it is done but it photographs very nice and 12ish would be a good buy. But I'm a cheap prick, 15ish might be a fair price.

lothiandon1940 and upspirate like this.
  22. Gman0046

Gman0046

Not a bad little steel roadster. I like it. I think it might be in the $12,000-$15,000 range.

Gary

upspirate likes this.
  23. I'd be proud to drive that.

24. alchemy

alchemy

No fair now. These guys told you what they thought it was worth. Now you gotta tell us what you thought it was worth.

clunker likes this.
  25. perk30

perk30

Turns out the motor is good. He put in new lifters and valve seals since last I saw it and it's running very well no smoke or ticking. Extra engine work and new windshield with stainless stanchions took the price just north of 15k but also included a fiberglass roof and new wide white rear tires and a box of misc parts. Took it onto the highway and it handles even better than my coupe which handles pretty well so I'm pretty happy.

26. Squablow

Squablow

Seems like a bargain to me, now knowing that it's fully driveable. I like it!

27. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

I like it, too...very clean build, all the 'right stuff' for a driver that is dependable, and very SHARP!!!

28. wicarnut

wicarnut

Congrats ! Enjoy !