Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1928 Model A TRoG Banger

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Mike Yocum, Jun 23, 2015.

1. Mike Yocum

Mike Yocum

My old co-worker, Kevin Carlson, got me hooked on TRoG with his Banger. After last year's race I started looking around for a low cost starter chassis. In my limited experience, most Model A parts in the Delaware region are a bit costly and the choices are tend to be limited. Last winter Kevin found a sad Banger in New Hampshire on Craigslist. Owners pulled the body for their project and had a frame with hood and fenders.
    IMG_0443.jpg
    Kevin was kind enough to retrieve it and haul it down to his place to rest for the winter. I picked it up with my 7 year old on Memorial Day.
    IMG_0085.jpg
    Kevin set me up with a replacement frame, front axle, rear end, stowaway garter snake, and spare A and B motor.
    IMG_0094.jpg
    I started the tear down and removed the remaining sheet metal. The running boards are toast, I have fenders all around, but with damage and rust they are only useful to someone as patch panels. IMG_0099.jpg
    Only one wheel turned with ease. East to see why with the drum pulled.
    IMG_0145.jpg
    You can see the nice hit this car took, necessitating a replacement axle and frame.

Wheels, hood, and radiator shell are off to the media blaster and I should have them back next week. Still contemplating colors, I am somewhat partial to a deep midnight blue, with maybe cream rims. Hood and shell to get a couple brushed on coats of DTM oil base.

The two A motors are seized and I've started the tear down on the spare for inspection. The B turns and will be next on the stand.

Not sure what the body style will be, but I do know this will be an open top. I don't expect to have this completed for TRoG 2015, but if invited, I intend on driving this from DE to Wildwood for 2016.

I'm on the lookout for a '28 firewall and cowl at the moment. And if anyone needs '28 fenders and wants to barter, please let me know.

Thanks.

patmanta and volvobrynk like this.
  2. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

3. waxhead

waxhead
    from West Oz

What are your plans for the banger ?? Intake, head, carbs etc ??

4. Mike Yocum

Mike Yocum

I currently have an aluminum Lion Speed Head and a Holley 94. I will order the parts and weld up a combination Lake exhaust and log style intake. I am thinking of putting three carb mounts on it so I could easily switch to a dual carb setup down the road.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2015
    waxhead and volvobrynk like this.

5. Mike Yocum

Mike Yocum

My collection of heads is growing...
    IMG_0148.jpg

First A engine on stand for inspection and disassembly. Seized up and full of who-knows-what. Baffle and oil pickup shell partially rusted into oblivion. Cylinder walls are questionable. Was stopped by not having the right size 12 point socket for the mid and front main journal caps.
    IMG_0150.jpg

kidcampbell71 and volvobrynk like this.
  6. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

I'd like to know about the head in the plastic bag.

Mike Yocum likes this.
  7. Mike Yocum

Mike Yocum

That's an aluminum Lion Speed Head. I'm trying to keep it crispy fresh...

volvobrynk and 117harv like this.
  8. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67
    from J Town

I'm looking forward to following along on this one, good luck.

Mike Yocum and volvobrynk like this.
  9. Mike Yocum

Mike Yocum

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1435522124.719514.jpg
    Color test of the DTM in Arctic Blue. Doesn't seem to match the color swatch at all. Single coat on the axle, second coat on the brace. Both still tacky. It will darken up a bit, but not enough for me. I have to purchase some black for another project, so I will add some to the blue to get it darker.

10. Binger

Binger
    from wyoming

Love the Banger builds!! Subscribed.

11. TBone69

TBone69
    from NJ

Cool, I'll be watching. Working on a TROG 2016 entry as well. See my build link below

12. Mike Yocum

Mike Yocum

After a glitch, I finally retrieved my parts from the media blaster. Unfortunately, there are not many vendors in the immediate area that media blast. Considering that, been pondering starting a part time venture in Dustless Blasting.
    IMG_0185.jpg
    The hood turned out great. Still don't know if I will end up using it, but I'll pound out a couple of minor dents, TIG a crack, and put on a primer coat until I figure out the body design.
    IMG_0181.jpg
    Unfortunately, one of the rims had a rust through. Now I have to find another wire wheel or re-think my wheel plans.
    IMG_0189.jpg
    The radiator shell turned out great. TIG repaired a couple of cracks and straightened it out.
    IMG_0194.jpg
    This is the final color I will be painting most of the car. A really dark midnight blue.

13. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

I'd cut that bad piece out of the rim and tig in a new piece! It's a banger not a NASCAR, easy peezy.

sko_ford and kidcampbell71 like this.
  14. Mike Yocum

Mike Yocum

That's a good point. Thanks.

15. peter schmidt

peter schmidt
    from maryland

Can't tell if that's a 19 or 16 but I'm from md I have a couple 19s maybe a 16 I could cut a peice out of I just use them for decoration. There rusted through on one side. I'm also building a banger powered a. Very very slowly.

16. Cool! I hope I can get my coupe ready for 2016 as well. I am on the lookout for a b, even though I got the original banger that might run.
    Check out my thread for some rust removal tips-- in my signature. I have a molasses water mix in a kidde pool that works great, and a speedblaster that works well!

17. Mike Yocum

Mike Yocum

Thanks, Peter. I have a rim to cut out a replacement section.

18. Mike Yocum

Mike Yocum

Thanks, I'll take a look.

19. Mike Yocum

Mike Yocum

Well, it turns out I actually have (03) A engines, and not (02) A's and a B. Serial numbers peg the one in the chassis as an April 1929. The one that's not seized and I thought was a B is a July 1929 and looks like it's overbored .005". The last is a June of 1930 and overbored .080".
    080Piston.jpg

20. So, in my opinion, that is really too bad. If it were a B, you would have some good parts like a B cam, crank, and even a head. I heard that just putting a b cam in an A can improve the performance a lot.
    And an 80 thou overbore is quite a lot. Going to have to run a micrometer in there and make sure it is in tolerance. I don't think you could bore any more.

21. Model A engines can go out to .125 over, that's a 4" bore and 216 ci
    That's what mine is.

22. Thanks, that is definitely good to know!

23. chopnchaneled

chopnchaneled
    from Buford Ga.

Richie,,
    Just lost my B engine on account of cracks that can not be repaired,
    have another block that pressure checks fine, but the top of the block is pitted
    ,already decked it 110 thou. kinda scared to go anymore, whats your thoughts?
    Thanks Joe

24. Mike Yocum

Mike Yocum

Is the pitting adjacent to anything important? (e.g. water jacket, valve, cylinder)

25. Mike Yocum

Mike Yocum

I have intentions of boring out whatever A block I end up using to 4" and if the cost is reasonable enlarge the exhaust valve.

26. From what I have read and heard from machine shops, if a B block has already been decked before and needs to be decked again, I think it's time to find another block.
    B engines are already are paper thin from the factory across the deck and the reason they are more crack prone than A engines.

27. chopnchaneled

chopnchaneled
    from Buford Ga.

All the above on the pits,
    Have any ideal on how to measure ti to see if it's been decked before?
    Thanks

Limey Kid likes this.
  28. A quick check as you have a second B block, measure the thickness at the centre coolant hole (thickness through the deck to water jacket),and compare it to the cracked block

29. Don't go by the numbers, my diamond block was restamped with the number of the car is went into, B Blocks were not numbered so yours may have been restamped.

30. chopnchaneled

chopnchaneled
    from Buford Ga.

10-4
    Are you talking about measuring the bridge thickness, between the oval hole and the round one?
    Thanks Again