Register now to get rid of these ads!

1928 chevy 4cyl motor

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by RedRodder, Apr 7, 2010.

1. ebtm3

ebtm3

Hey Rich

Show us how to make that puppy go!

Herb

2. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

I got it mostly for all the pieces that i didn't get with the first one. But the counteweighted crank, Jhans pistons, cam and 25 olds head on that one along with the pieces from this one should make something. Right now I am converting the Dodge powered roadster from the old Super Connie potable water coolent pump to a Teal builge pump. The Connie pump died and i don't think O'Rielys carries replacements. But when that thing finally runs I can look at the Chevy.

3. RIch, I feel horrible about this- still haven't sent you that steel cam gear yet! I'll get it out asap- thanks for being so patient.

4. Had an idea about pistons- Chevy 305 bore is 3.736 (VERY close to the maximum 3.75 bore for the early Chevrolet 4 cyl.

Any thoughts?

Oh, and Brad54 came back from Alabama with a belly tank... might just get to the salt, yet!

5. .030 over bore 305 pistons are 3.763 bore... a little too much, or do you all think the block could handle an extra 1/64?

6. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

I used 265 Chevy pistons and rod bearings in my Plymouth 3.750. Don't feel bad about the cam gear. I have been fighting this Dodge Bros engine and my roadster more than any car and engine I can remember. But the end is in sight and then I can do something with my Chevy.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2012
  7. ebtm3

ebtm3

Mac-

Both pistons will work--but you will need LONGER rods.

More work--but my speedster seems to be running fine for it's new owner with the modified GMC 270 pistons, and A rods.

If I ever get caught up on all the other things that I have to do, I'm going to pull the diesel from the '28 coupe and stick the 224 Chebby in--have a bunch to do on that, including finishing the tubular rods that you saw last you were here

8. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

Yes. I used Crower rods made for the Plymouth and the Chevy wrist pins and rod bearings. The Chevy banger is a different can of worms rod bearing wise.

9. Herb and Rich,

Thanks for the input! With the idea of a true racing engine becoming a reality, we're trying to find that "magic combination" of bore/stroke/rod length (kind of like a Banger version of Chevy's roadrace 302).

Knowing that we're limited to a 3.75ish bore has lead to some challenges, but I'm hoping we're headed in the right direction!

Herb, you'll have to share some pics of the 224 when you have a chance- for those of you who haven't seen Chevrolet's big truck engine, it's a brute!

Rich, rod bearings are a bit frustrating, as are the size limitations on the cam! And thanks again for being so patient- it's been a crazy summer.

I may be emailing you two soon with an "out-of-the-box" idea as well, but you'll be sworn to secrecy (especially if you laugh at it :D)!

10. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

I'm glad you guys revived the thread. As Old Car Festival approaches, I've been thinking about my banger again.

11. Do more than think, Dave :)

All of this is pie-in-the-sky right now... at the moment, school has started again (we're going through a SACS review, and I get to lead one of the fact-finding teams), I'm trying to get a new daily driver together this year (read as winter/spring break mad thrash), and also trying to help my folks out a bit, financially (the bank doesn't want to let them consolidate their loans)...

So the speedster chassis is apart (blew the rivets out) and against the wall, and the C4 engines are nestled under what's left of my old Nova...

BUT we're putting ideas together, Brad is doing a TON of research, and Stevie G's new students are STOKED about making parts for an old 'Banger!!!

12. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

Wow, Sometimes I didn't think I'd make it here. Thanks to all of you for this great thread. There is a guy here who has been after me for years to put a vintage Chevy 4 in my '26 Chevy roadster project. And another friend has one that"ran when they shut it off" I think I can trade for that one. I've been building a 153 Chevy II. He has Chevy blocks and Olds heads. His dad used to race this stuff. I'll try to get over there and get some pics now that you all have taught me what to look for. It's taken me a week to get through this. I learned so much. A bit about yellow engines with 5 mains as well.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2012
    Outback likes this.
  13. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

Some time ago someone sent me a CD with a 28 Chevy engine parts catalog on it. Great. But now that I want to order parts, of course, I can't find it. Would that person be so kind as to send me a replacement. If you do I am sure i will find the first one.

14. noboD

noboD

Rich, it wasn't me but try Gary Wallace. LAst email I had was [email protected] He's the four cylinder guru.

15. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

The guy with the complete '28 engine finally gave me a number. He wants $200. It's been outside a long time but holes covered. It has everything fan to drive shaft. I guess I'll take a chance. It wouldn't take long to spend $200 at the bar.

16. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

Do you know of a business name for him. This email didn't seem to work. Thanks. RF

17. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

OK I got gaskets from The Filling Station. Lifters are supposed to be coming from an Ebay seller, I ordered rings from Hastings. hard to find 1/8th inch rings to fit the jahns pistons that were in the block. I sprung for new stainless valves that seem to be SBC parts. The head needs guides and I'll find springs with about 50 pounds on the seat. Pretty soon this thing should make some noise. I'm using two Holley single barrel carburetors like the glass bowl but with cast bowls. maybe I'll step up for the glass bowls later. They seem to interchange. The Dodge is apart again having the head welded on. This has to go together better than the Dodge did.

18. noboD

noboD

Sorry Rich, I missed your questions about Gary Wallace. That was the only contact I had. I saw him at Hershey several years ago. He is supposed to be the four cylinder Chevy parts guru, might be in Ill. or Iowa. It was an I state. Rich, you have a PM.

19. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

No prob. I think I am finding what i need to get back together pretty much as it was in '48. We'll see.

20. Jiminy

Jiminy

21. noboD

noboD

22. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

Here is one I saved from the scrapper yesterday. Pretty rusty it's been open to the elements but some of it may be good. I'll pick up my complete one soon.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

volvobrynk likes this.
  23. Jiminy

Jiminy

24. ebtm3

ebtm3

Jimmy--

You have to consider more than just bore size--the height of the top of the piston, relative to the wrist pin is important, as getting the piston head up higher in the cylinder is the only way to raise the compression in the Chev4.

First off, the stock bore for a Chev4 is 3 11/16", a bastard size--but there is plenty of thickness to overbore in the walls of the block--3 13/16" is safe. I have heard of blocks being bored to 3 7/8" but I wouldn't recommend going that far.

Since 3 3/4" is only .060" over stock--that is the size that I have used. The stock piston ('28) is 1 15/16" top to center of pin. Without checking the height of the pistons you mentioned, I will bet that they are all shorter, pin to crown, than stock pistons==lower compression--just what you don't want.

There is a "stock" Chevy piston that does give you a little extra, and that is one from a 261 cid, 6 cylinder--an engine that was only used in trucks in the '60's. It measures 2 1/16" pin to crown--1/8" more than the stock pistons.

Another way to get the compression up is to use longer rods. In the old days, Durant rods --3/8" longer, as I recall--but they are impossible to find. A very good compromise is to use Ford A rods---better design and much better material than either the Durant or stock rods, and they are 1/8" longer that the Chev4 ones.

So, with the 261 pistons, and the Ford rods, you can get the piston top 1/4" higher in the cylinder.

There are other pistons that I have used--Hercules (now over $100 each from Zolner (only mfg that I know of), 270 GMC six --lot of machine work, but 9.3/1 with A rods, and homemade, --even more work

Hope this helps you.

Herb

25. Jiminy

Jiminy

Herb,

Thanks for the measurements on the 171 and 261 pistons - I wasn't able to find those in my Google searches. I knew that you had used the 270 piston with the A rod but it seemed folks were having a difficult time finding 270 pistons. Someone had suggested the 265 pistons but the bore size was getting dicey. The 262 piston looked like it would be a better bore size especially if it was for a .040 overbore but the pin height was not so good. The 263 piston has a better pin height but I didn't know if the bore was getting the wall thickness too thin.
    Chev V-8 262 Bore 3.67 Pin Height 1.735
    Chev V-8 263 Bore 3.736 Pin Height 1.785

Thanks for the reply - appreciate it!
    Jim

volvobrynk likes this.
  26. Rizhto

Rizhto

Hi

When I saved the chevy pieces from the scrap metal pile last summer I found two yngine blocks from there. Later I sent the engine numbers to the automobile club archives in a hope that they might find a title. Few weeks ago I got the phonecall and the archive manager just asked me, "which one I want?". They had found a copy of original title to both of the engines. So now, instead of missing the title, I have two! Well, it is of course my luck that they are both for closed body, not to touring, to which most of my parts are. This is a big step, however, Now I know which block of mine will be the heart of my chevy.
    The pistons are the first issue to find for me as well. What comes to the discussion with Herb and Jiminy, I still remind you about the Mercedes pistons. They should be quite a good fit with A Rods and give a nice increase in compression. At least based on the measures. I have not found any, they seem to be hard to find. Might be easier to find form America, because petrol engines were more common there. Here Mercs are mostly diesels. I'm trying to find a set of used ones to at least test their suitability.

27. Rizto, what year/size of Mercedes engine?

And congrats on the titles!

Nothing new to report on my end of the engine fun, but I DID just pick up a set of GM 21" wire wheels for the speedster... to say that I'm excited is a GROSS understatement :D!!!

Will share pics late tonight after I get back from band rehearsal

Ron Young likes this.
  28. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

Are those wheels 6 lug? Do you have pictures? I'm looking for 1 more 19" I know there's some laying around here somewhere.

29. ebtm3

ebtm3

Rizhto

I remember that you mentioned the Mercedes pistons a while back, but I could never find the specs. on them. Not a lot of old Mercs around here, either--I guess that when something mechanical happens they are too expensive to repair--I know that new parts are stupidly expensive.

Do you know the dimension from the top of the piston to the center of the pin?

Herb

30. Six Ball,

Yup, they are 6 lug! They were a rare option instead of wood spokes, and are just about at the unobtanium level. These were sitting on Espay with no bids, so I did a little horse trading with a buddy and he picked them up for me.

Will post pics later tonight... sorry for the OT babbling, just SUPER-excited!!!