Register now to get rid of these ads!

1928 chevy 4cyl motor

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by RedRodder, Apr 7, 2010.

1. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

Sorry, I don't; however, some of the early Jeeps used a Carter WO carb.

2. If it a little, trigger looking, thing it's the reverse lockout and it would be a 4 speed truck tranny. A paperweight.

3. RedRodder

RedRodder

what carbs would fit these intakes, or how beneficial would it be to cut the flange off and weld on a conversion plate to whatever you'd like (doesn't seem to be much to these intakes), such as the later single barrel rochesters from the chevys, or a single 97, or even a holley 94?

4. RedRodder

RedRodder

yes it is a little trigger lookin thing, both trannys have them, these things really that bad?

5. 28 chevy

28 chevy
    from NE Pa

Man, you just missed mine by a few months. Was a good one too.

6. RedRodder

RedRodder

:) well thats the way it goes, haha, not sure what I'm gonna do yet, does anyone have anything to say about the 4spd truck transmissions? If it is a reverse lock out than the trannys may be 4 speeds, i cant get the lever to work, but i can find 4 stick positions with it locked, i assumed they were 3 speeds.

7. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

I don’t know anything ‘28 Chevy-specific, but truck transmissions, especially 4-speeds, tend to have truck-like ratios. I suppose you could ignore first gear and just drive it like a 3-speed.

-Dave

8. RedRodder

RedRodder

sounds good, maybe that granny gear will come in handy when i put highway gears in the rearend :)

9. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

It shouldn't be a big deal to cap off the stock updraft carb inlet and weld or braze an adapter on the topside, like a sideways 97 style carb mount. Actually, I've got an intake and a steel 97 carb riser............

10. RedRodder

RedRodder

:) instead of blocking it i was gonna flip it over and just change the mounting flange, I will test the process with one of the rusted out intakes first then convert one of the good ones, i think i have 94 out back that works pretty good, might try it after i get the motor cleaned up a bit

11. RedRodder

RedRodder

Some picks, obviously the one with the carb and rockers is the runner :)

Attached Files:

• 4.jpg
      4.jpg
      File size:
      53.7 KB
      Views:
    • 4a.jpg
      4a.jpg
      File size:
      52.3 KB
      Views:
    • 4b.jpg
      4b.jpg
      File size:
      55.8 KB
      Views:
  12. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

Cool. I say don’t add full-pressure oiling and run it without a valve cover.

-Dave

13. RedRodder

RedRodder

yeah, i was thinkin about that, the thought had crossed my mind since the car will be either black or very darK metalic green, to go through the motor, do the insert bearings and c crank, the bore job for domed pistons, then when it goes bak together paint the engine black, and have the pushrods and rockers chromed, pair it with a crome intake and header pipes, oh yeah, dead sexy!

14. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

Two years ago at Fall Hershey, there was a motorcycle, bulit completely from scratch in the early '50s, with a '28 Chevy engine for power, complete with original three speed transmission.

15. RedRodder

RedRodder

sounds like it would be a real trick to shift depending on the setup, sweet :)

16. RedRodder

RedRodder

What do you think would be the best way to convert to a 1 wire alternator?

17. RedRodder

RedRodder

I might have to play around with that notion, maybe the 94 when it is bored, but the 81 for now you think?

18. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

Just a thought----the hotrodders of yesteryear encountered head gasket sealing problems from a combination of high compression and only eight head bolts; retaining the head with studs and nuts may not be a bad idea.

19. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

....and someone needs to cast a cool finned valve cover for these engines, like the one I remember from the pages of a '49 HRM.

20. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

If you wanted dual carbs, a pair of Holley 1904s from a 144 Falcon six might be small enough to work.

21. RedRodder

RedRodder

OH, now that would be a real doozie, i like the look of what that puts into my head :)

22. RedRodder

RedRodder

and I was gonna do studs anyways, just because some crome acorn nuts would fit the whole crome pushrod/rocker/intake/header on black motor look, never thought much about them actually having a practical purpose, good tidbit, thanks Heathen

23. I am currently making a pattern, at the moment I am going to leave it smooth I am thinking of making a finned version as well. Thoughts?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Outback, Lil'Alb and volvobrynk like this.
  24. RedRodder

RedRodder

My though would be a nice finned piece with a cool "Vintage 4 Power" logo or script in the center, or "The Other Banger" in reference to the ever so popular ford motors or "Chevrolet 4" somethin sweet that catches the eye, maybe instead of a true cover build a skeletonized piece that you can watch the rockers through

25. Ramblur

Ramblur

Subscribed. Made me go back and look at a pic from an auction I was at
    in Jan. No idea what it is but rocker cover looked homebuilt.

[​IMG]

26. That is a stock valve cover, also the engine is a '25 which is the best block to use when building a hot Chev banger.

Outback likes this.
  27. Rizhto

Rizhto

Pages after pages of Chevy four building! Finally.

There was a link earlier to the VCCA chat thread, where I already explained the possibility to use Mercedes pistons to increase compression. There is also been earlier discussion about the rockers, especially in the seek for the modern replacements. There is been a couple of close calls but not a jackpot yet. Keep on looking gentlemen. A good hint is to look for different diesel engines. They generally have a bit larger parts.

In the four speed truck box the first gear is "undergear" - a very slow one. Otherwise the gearbox is generally the same as the three-speeder. Because the undergear is been put where the reverse usully is in the three-speed box, the reverse is locked with the lever. Take a look for the manual 200-, 700-, or 900-series Volvo shifters, which have the same system. I' would not say that the box is paperweight. Maybe not usable for the rod, but truck builders maight need it. Take the 6-figure cast number from the side of the box (note: every main part has its own number) and I can see type of the box for you. It is most likely an LP stock trans, which is common, but if it is an older LM or LO box, then it is a factory accessory and those are rather rare today.

You also asked the differences between the car and truck engines. The differences in the truck are:
    - T-prefix in front of the serial number
    - cast iron pistons, which cause:
    - lower compression ratio (4,3 vs. 4,5), which causes:
    - lower power output (32 hp vs. 35 hp)

In case you fit the C-crank, note that the B-cons won't necessarily have enough space in the chamber. Use A-cons, they have a smaller big end.

P.S. I'm keen to follow your project especally because I've had this secret pervert idea of blowing in my mind as well.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2010
  28. RedRodder

RedRodder

WOW, so far this thread has been amazingly helpful to me guys. My mind has been spinnin at 100mph with all sorts of ideas and this has let me write them down, at the moment I am considering every option for this build, I intend to look as deep into these motors as possible to come up with something awesome. I do beleive that this thread has provided more information to me that 3 whole days on the world wide web. That my friends is a truly amazing feat. I do hope we can keep it going and just keep piling on tidbits about these early chev 4s regaurdless of relevency to rodding, so far it is the single most informative source i have been able to find. I do beleive that I am hooked on this motor, and that is coming from someone who bleeds ford blue. I hate to say it but I think this vintage, underpowered, obsolete four banger is gonna be quite the badass build for this car. I was throwin around the idea of a ford flathead, caddillac flathead v8, chevy 250, and a olds rocket, but this little guy blows them all away. Thanks again for all the help, and for chevs sake, keep it up :)

-Robin

29. RedRodder

RedRodder

how hard would it bne to cast a better rocker?

30. Thought about doing that- the rockers are 3 1/4" from center to center. I've found rockers that are close, but no cigar. There was a guy from Australia or NZ that mentioned having a Nissan diesel engine that had rockers the same length and would do some salvage yard searching, but nothing came of it...

Jimmy- you ever see one of those Nissan diesels? Oh, I would go with finned, just like Rufi!!!