Register now to get rid of these ads!

1923 graham pickup

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by austinhunt, Dec 9, 2011.

1. austinhunt

austinhunt

Thanks for all the kind words guys. School is taking its toll on my free time after work, so computer time is at a minimum.

Castirondude, you are right but my friend has a titanium face because he wasn't wearing a seatbelt so I always wear one!

Kona cruisers, let me know if you really need a flathead because I can call a guy who knows where a few are, but as for the one I mentioned, I have given up the idea.

More pictures after homework!

2. austinhunt

austinhunt

3. i like cars & stuff

i like cars & stuff
    from Aotearoa

Nice work on that steering column bracket.

4. Kona Cruisers

Kona Cruisers

You ok up there with the fires?

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

5. austinhunt

austinhunt

Luckily yes! There has been a few now but all is well where I am. I don't think anyone's house burned down. They were dropping water and cutting trees everywhere but that black spruce burns so easy. Now the tree huggers are gonna get sad about the air quality and poor trees haha.

6. noboD

noboD

Austin, a word of caution about that Coke can. I USED to keep acetone in an old Dr.Pepper bottle. One night while pondering and admiring my work I got my bottles mixed up.

7. austinhunt

austinhunt

Whoa I'm sure that tasted wierd! I learned to pay attention after I did the same with a can of spit...

8. austinhunt

austinhunt

Got my rear axle squared away today and ready for a brake rebuild. New seals all around, painted (not show quality), and new wheel studs in straight, true, and cut to length. I found out that there's a mini spool in the diff so I don't know how annoying it will be in the summer..... But it sure will help in the winter!
    Pictures tomorrow.

9. Kona Cruisers

Kona Cruisers

... You're going to hate the spool in the winter, unless you plan on it be sideways on every turn?

10. austinhunt

austinhunt

That may well be the case with no weight in the back. I ran a welded diff in an old bmw for a winter and it doubled the traction in the back. It broke free slowly and it was very predictable.... This truck may not have the same attitude, but I will have to try it because my number of dollars is currently zero. I have been making everything I can from scrap and hand me down junk.

As soon as I find the cord to my camera, I will post a bunch-a pictures.

11. austinhunt

austinhunt

12. austinhunt

austinhunt

I primed and painted the rear end and driveshaft with the same single stage paint as the front axle. They aren't the best because I am the orange peel master! If orange peel was cool, I would be the king haha. they look good enough for what they are though. I only sanded enough to clean the metal... All the nicks, crappy welds, and flap disk mark are still there under the paint.

On the other hand, I am pretty proud of the clutch linkage that I made. I started with two really cool 5/8" split bearings and shaft that I found. I have always liked split bearing for some reason so I couldn't resist using them. The levers are made from 3/8" plate and 3/8" fine all thread and clevises. The pivot balls between the rod and clutch fork are the little dome bearing/washers that go under the nut of a regular 302 ford rocker arm. Pedals are modified '52 F-6. I don't know how long the bearings will last-- but I can always replace them with bronze if they fail. Just for someone else's sake: A stock 302 ford clutch fork has a max travel at the pivot ball of 1.125 - 1.25".

13. austinhunt

austinhunt

Next on the list is an X member to strengthen the frame and my pedal bracket. This I made of 10 gauge "pickled and oiled" steel and bent on a big brake... Unfortunately this cost me money because I don't have a brake, but I'm happy with the way it turned out. I used the bobbled pie cut method and it turned out pretty neat.

The thin l metal was cut and the overlaps were traced with a sharpie for the pie cuts. I marked the extension cord at the c-clamps and at the first cut, then measured the length afterward.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Pie cuts...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And here is the finished product.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. looking good dude!

15. 4444Design

4444Design

remarkable Progress since i checked in the last time

like the way the mockup already Looks - will be a cool ride

looking Forward to the updates

16. austinhunt

austinhunt

Thanks guys.

Unless there are people following along I'm not going to post on my truck any more because I'm running low on time and I don't know where to buy more of the stuff.... School is a bummer! I'm still plugging away though.

17. Leviman

Leviman

Oh man that's a bummer! Keep posting. I just saw your thread. I've got a '31 Ford coupe that I'll be building soon in Anchorage. I went to UAF for a year two years ago. Got a few friends who go there. I had a '72 Saab 99 when I was up there. The truck looks cool! And what was that about the guy with a pile of T5s?? I'm looking for a 88-92 V8 camaro T5, think he'd have one (even blown up)?

18. Please keep posting I learn from what you do, and I'm a hell of a lot older than you.
    Terry aka dirt t

19. noboD

noboD

Austin do what you need to do. Just let us know what's going on when time permits. You've got your head in the right place!

20. oldiron73

oldiron73
    from WISCONSIN

Keep up the good work and keep us posted. Nice Job!!!
    I am also in school right now taking 15 credits have a hard time working on my 51 F1.
    I know what your going through so stay focused and it will all work out.......

21. Austin, I've been following along on your 23 Graham truck, I think it's awesome, a young man, with your talents and drive. Get that education, a degree, and the rest of your life will fall into place. Before long, you'll look back and realize you made the right decisions.
    My old great grandpa used to have a Graham truck like yours that I used to play on when I was a kid. I will be 66 here in about 90 days. It was sad when my dad sold the old truck for scrap.
    Keep up the great work. I really enjoy seeing the progress and your ingenuity. Post when you can. Gary

22. good progress being done on this truck ...

keep up the good work ... =)

23. austinhunt

austinhunt

Whoa! Ok guys I'll keep posting haha. There isn't much to see right now. I have it all torn down to the bare frame for welding and then outside to sandblast! I have also started a small molasses pot for removing rust from small parts. I'll post my results.

24. 40FordGuy

40FordGuy

Great ride !! Keep us posted..........

4TTRUK

25. austinhunt

austinhunt

Well, I'm still hangin in there, but everything is at a snail's pace at the moment. I spent the last of my money on my now fiancee so I have decided no sand blasting and moved on to the wire wheel. On the plus side I just lucked up an old 'post vice' to hold my various dollies as soon as I start back on the floor. The frame should be done before thanksgiving!

26. noboD

noboD

Fiance? this projects in trouble.

27. jkski

jkski

great job! very nice work with little to work with,a common theme when you first start out.

28. Nice to see it still coming along.... Good work on the girl too - she looked well worth the effort ;-)

I'm using the same rear brakes as you - I drilled the back plates for a little extra interest;

[​IMG]

29. austinhunt

austinhunt

Haha don't worry guys, the project will continue. School is the real killer here!

I will post pics when the smoke clears from boxing the frame (before thanksgiving I hope)!