Register now to get rid of these ads!

144, 170, 200, small six ford, falcon, and engine guys. HAVE I GONE CRAZY??????

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by t-town-track-t, Nov 2, 2008.

1. unclechop

unclechop

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    From petersons "complete ford book"

Sergeant82d likes this.
  2. Toymaker

Toymaker
    from Fresno,CA

We got the HA/GR running with 2 strombergs and love it!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 3, 2009
  3. I think I read about someone (maybe you?) pulling out the freeze plugs and putting on carburletors somewhere on the HA/GR forum last night.

4. 39 All Ford

39 All Ford
    from Benton AR

Without really knowing what I am talking about, on first blush, it seems unlikely that even a hint of even fuel distribution to the cyls and from the carbs would be posssible by the mere chance of the freeze plugs having the right placement for this theory to work effectivly....

I think a "more difficult" solution is probably a better solution. I am most impressed with the mention of forced induction being the easiest if not thee most practical solution to the situation...

Modifying the head would not be an "abomination" IMO,,, if I was intent on useing the six and more speciffficly the stock head I think I would consider modifying the POS head or even replacing it.... but that is me...

(FWIW, my son has a 64 Falcon with what I believe to be a 144 6, we intend that it will be a SBF "cruiser" soon... Sorry!! )

5. 39 All Ford

39 All Ford
    from Benton AR

Not to worry,,,, if you go ahead with your plan, rest assured you will spent the $400.00 anyway.....

Don't mean to be negative, but being a "pioneer" is not without it's cost...

The "unseen" cost (or unforseen cost as it may more acuratly be) will suck up some fundage. Whenever I have struck out into uncharted teritory, the monitary cost has been real...

This engine is well over 40 years old,,,, if there was a simple low cost solution to it's issues, they would be a well known and proven process by this time.... again, not meaning to be a Mr. nagative, but sometimes reality is just what it sounds like,,,, reality....

Just too damn many people have already seen those freze plugs over the last 50 years for a mechanical miracle to be hidden within them....

Sergeant82d likes this.
  6. I came across it again and it's not about carbs, but ...

7. stealthcruiser

stealthcruiser

What about:.....Is the bore spacing and cylinder head bolt layout the same as ,say, 302 Ford ?????? Dreaming out loud here, but I seem to remember some inliner threads from the past, on here, (I could be REALLY dreaming here),where this angle was mentioned, they used 2 V-8 heads, and made a 6 cylinder CROSSFLOW head....I think they were using aluminum heads..............Then again, it could have been a TOTALLY different marque I had read about............But I am pretty sure , it was on this message board,.......as the other one I frequent deals with.....................Oh, never mind on that !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

8. The_DropOut

The_DropOut

TOYMAKER! Yeah, that looks like a uber bad ass machine. I've read this entire thread so far, and I think your set up looks the best. Maybe you can explain what you have done to your motor. Also What size motor is it? What Carbs are you running. Did you buy or make your linkage, and so on. Obviously your racing this motor, so it's gota be bad.

And the origonal question still remains...has anyone seen the freeze plug area on the fuel log beign used as an intake point?? I think its a great question.

Its too bad that all of those people who use to drag and boat-race didnt write a bible of what was tried. That would be a fun read.

9. HIDDEN

HIDDEN

I wish I could keep the gas from boiling in the 1100 carb on our 200ci in the wagon. Anyone have a simple solution for this?

10. warren1328

warren1328

Have just read this thread through, plenty of good ideas here.
    Not sure of the shipping costs (maybe a bulk lot would be cheap) but the 4.1litre (250) alloy head crossflow motors are dirt cheap over here & pretty much can't be killed with a stick. Many many taxis done around the million with these engines in em & they fit easy enough. Have one in my XP Falcon wagon & was a pretty easy fit-up. Runs like a charm, takes unleaded no-worries, and parts are plentiful.
    Might be worth a few guys getting together & getting a batch of these things sent over??
    Installation
    [​IMG]

As now & running
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Sergeant82d likes this.
  11. I am glad someone brought up the 250 as well. If I couldnt get two or three carbs on one of those heads in a day I think I would wack myself. Also the offy deal I see someone already mentioned that. I have seen a few of those done back in the day. i also knew a local boat racer (170 hydro class)who cut the manifold off (hacked would be more accurate) and had us at the machine shop machine the surface flat. He then built a manifold from exhaust type tubing and mounted a pair of Dodge flathead carbs on it. I will never forget the day when he showed me how it would actually turn 8000rpm (mech tach to so probably decent accuracy)
    Don

Sergeant82d likes this.
  12. sdluck

sdluck

Ak Miller used to put motorcycle carbs on these sixes when he ran at the salt flats in I belive a falcon,it was a street car he would disconnect a couple of throttle cableswhen street driven.

13. you mean like this? (used to run motorcycle carbs)

Attached Files:

14. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

[​IMG]

The 144 Ford six was a very successful engine in hydroplane racing in the early sixties.

I still have a supply of OEM steel shim head gaskets for this engine (144 - 170) for sale. PM me if interested.

15. cage66

cage66
    from reno

Are parts something that would have to come from Oz., or are they available in the states?