Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 12 x 2 drum brake alternative?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by '52 F-3, Jul 29, 2014.

1. '52 F-3

'52 F-3

I figure I'm gonna get tore apart, but I gotta ask anyway...

while researching another way to use the Finned Buick Drums on my 46 spindles/hubs I accidentally came across "hydraulic trailer brakes".

I understand the spacing would have to be dealt with, (and the mounting bolt pattern changed) but these seem very similar to the one sold in kits to use.

why could these not be adapted?

[​IMG]

http://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Brakes/Titan/T2349000.html

2. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

You will have to see if the buick drum mates up to the backing plate. The F2 plates will mate to the buicks. But when using the buick drum with 39-48 plates, the drums need machined on the lip to accept the plates.

3. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Lots of factors involved there including the Id of the center hole in the backing plate plus the back spacing if you can call it that. The F-2 backing plate swap is a pretty cut and dried thing with a lot of info here on the Hamb and other places. That trailer backing plate may take a lot of welding and machine work to get it to work. And then again it may bolt on with a few new holes drilled but you would have to have one to compare with the F-2 backing plate.

4. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

"Backspacing" in this case, is brake offset or axle offset. There is by no means a standard across platforms. Ford, for example, used 3 or 4 on the 9" rear, alone. Early Lincoln's have something like three.

5. You probably could adapt them.
    Ill guess you need the center of a 9" or 10" drum backing plate w offset and weld it into that one.

You keep looking at trailer brakes and you'll find a picture of the Lincoln ones that will send you on a goose chase. Ask me how I know :)

6. What about the 12" backing plates, shoes and hardware that are used on early to mid 70's Impala/Biscayne wagon's? I thought there was a thread about using those too?...

7. alchemy

alchemy

Please post the link to those trailer brakes.

8. The tech-o-matic has a few retro-fit brake threads to choose from..

9. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If you can find a set that has a center hole that matches the shoulder (or bearing shell) to locate them, holes are irrelevant. they can be welded-up and re-drilled.

Offest is going to be the the challenge.

Too little, and you could use a thin wheel spacer between the axle flange and inside of the drum, as long as the center register ole was still on the register.

Too much would require a spacer between the axle flange, and the backing plate. That would need to be made to center on the shoulder, or bearing flange, move the backing plate out, and recreate the shoulder, like a hubcentric wheel spacer.

Remember, it is not sound engineering to support a backing plate solely by the bolts. The backing plate needs to be on a sturdy shoulder.

10. So what would be the advantage of spending $200 on set of these and having to figure out how make them fit; instead of just using regular old Ford parts that already fit.

11. '52 F-3

'52 F-3

I haven't been able to locate used parts that cost less the $200 and a new pair from speedway is $420.00 plus shipping, these are $200 shipped.

speedways backing plates/brakes for reverence.....(I might just get these)
    [​IMG]