Register now to get rid of these ads!

Motion Pictures Give Me Gasoline!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jive-Bomber, Apr 13, 2017.

1. Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber submitted a new blog post:

Give Me Gasoline!

[​IMG]

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

2. what i hate about Prius drivers is they all seam to think they are something special for doing so

MMM1693 and Atwater Mike like this.
  3. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sure looks corny now, can just imagine what my Millennial kids would say about this clip. Grew up on '30s animation, so I can't help it, I watched the whole thing.
    Maybe doing some research for another sequel, Jay?

4. Enjoyed the film, cool stuff, reminds me of my childhood!
    And what cracks my wife and I up is that at least here in Los Angeles, many Prius drivers think they are driving Porsches, floor it at each green light! Hilarious!

5. Ralph Moore

Ralph Moore

The bumper sticker on my daily driver, a one ton crew cab. I make it a point to go slow in front of a Prius.

Attached Files:

6. Sheep Dip

Sheep Dip
    from Central Ca

7. Spex84

Spex84
    from Canada

I would actually love to see a full cradle-to-grave analysis of a restored 50's car versus a new hybrid.
    '50s american car:
    -built using very crude and inefficient resource extraction and manufacturing.
    -very few exotic/internationally sourced parts and materials .
    -ran dirty and polluted the air extensively BUT not for very long before being put out to pasture.
    -requires new materials to restore (rubber, paint, body fillers, welding sheetmetal), but little in the way of plastics. These new materials would have been produced using newer and more efficient processes than in the 50s.
    -is a recycled item! Getting more use out of something old=winning!
    -may burn serious dinosaurs, but may also not be driven very frequently or very far once restored.
    -any environmental destruction its initial manufacture caused is in the distant past, nothing we can do about it but re-use the item to spread the effect over more years.

New Hybrid:
    -full of plastics: all fossil fuel-based.
    -jam-packed with internationally sourced parts and materials like rare-earth metals from China, engine
    components from Japan, etc etc. All shipped to North America on ships that burn mucho oil.
    -recyclable, in theory...but a lot of it will still end up landfilled.
    -runs clean, BUT the electricity it runs on, depending on location, could very well come from COAL in the first place!!
    -the environmental destruction caused by the manufacture of new cars is significant, and while a hybrid might make the city air sweeter, it's kinda cheating to ignore all the mess and pollution we put into the world when we sign on the dotted line for a new car, boosting demand for further manufacturing.

So...when you add it all up, which one is actually "worse"? Could a '50 Chev with a big-block be cleaner than a Prius? Quite possibly not, but the idea tickles my fancy.

8. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

Facts don't matter, it's all about "feelings" and virtue signaling.