Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Daytona Beach

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Dec 8, 2016.

1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Ryan submitted a new blog post:

Daytona Beach

[​IMG]

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

2. Rolleiflex

Rolleiflex

I love browsing Shorpy. It's easy to waste way too much time on that site.

3. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Cool pics - some driving on beach at Daytona, and other areas, still happens. not so much for horses anymore

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  4. Rand Man

Rand Man

I hear those horseless carriages have their advantages.

lothiandon1940 likes this.

5. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

So cool. HS buddies and I did 3 spring breaks at Daytona, '69-71, a happening spot! Cars on the beach is where it's at. Horses, not so much.

6. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

So awesome. I love the Shorpy site!

7. Very cool! You wouldn't think a beach would change too much in 53 years, but the outfits and background says different. Amazing how much things changed!

8. Cool pics,those horses have 4 hoof drive.

9. They dress a little different then, then and now. ;)

10. D-Ozzie

D-Ozzie

upload_2016-12-8_17-44-58.png
    I love the two ladies checking out the guys cruising in what must be a brand new '57 Ford convertible.
    upload_2016-12-8_17-44-58.png

11. frank spittle

frank spittle

Have you wondered how the hard packed sand became suitable for high speed runs down the beach beginning in the early days of the automobile and ending in 1935 with Sir Malcolm Campbell's near 300 mph run? It is believed it is from granules of granite washed down from the Georgia mountains over millions of years.

kidcampbell71 and Dean Lowe like this.
  12. When I hear Daytona Beach my mind goes here...
    [​IMG][​IMG] [​IMG]

All photos from 1957

Last edited: Dec 9, 2016
  13. Hotdoggin DaddyO

Hotdoggin DaddyO
    from Hays, Ks

Those gals are lookin' at the guy on the bike. It is Daytona.

14. Rand Man

Rand Man

Ryan,
    Is this post related to your suggestion about vintage circle track racing? They probably started racing cars on that beach not too long after that first photo was taken.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

15. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I love it down there and would like to move close by.

16. There should be a photo from 2016 and then a future one where everyone is naked.:rolleyes: I remember being at Venice Beach CA. in the 60's on a road trip in my Corvette. It was nuts even that far back. Everyone stoned etc. I was just a naïve kid from Connecticut.:confused:

17. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:D Been in that very location many times.Born and raised just 150 mi down the road from there.Fun times for sure.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

18. Datona beach in 1957. The nascar race was still held on the sand...and the 500 was won by a '57 Pontiac that year. Every time I look at my 34 ford coupe with it's '57 Pontiac engine [punched .125" to 370 cu in] I think of that race. I've got it on video tape.

19. robracer1

robracer1

I remember seeing c2 and c3 vettes with beer cans holding the back of the hood up to help keep the engines running cool because of heavy traffic on the beach.

20. Carriages vs. Cars
    Bikes vs. Cycles
    Clothes vs. "No" Clothes
    No buildings vs. Buildings
    Black n White vs. Color

....What a difference 53 years make! But, thinking about it, I'd be willing to bet (not really) that the world changed more in those 53 years than most any other time in history!

My grandfather was born in 1902. He would tell of the times in his life growing up. When he was in grade school (earliest would be 1908, probably 1912-ish) the kids in his class ran 2 miles to see their first automobile.

Think about it....when he was still in diapers, Wilbur and Orville flew! Then 60 years later, a man was launched into space....and returned SAFELY! Entertainment went from an hour of radio after dinner, to Gunsmoke and Andy Griffith on television. Theater went from Uncle Tom to James Bond! This just boggles my mind! The only thing that changed very little was....BASEBALL! I guess that's one reason I like it!!!

kidcampbell71 and Speedy Canuck like this.
  21. IMG_0199[1].JPG We were just there a few weeks ago for the Turkey Run. Theres lots of beach areas where no vehicles are allowed..
    We did eat lunch at the North Turn Bar & Grille...If you strained and squinted enough , you could just hear the old racecars coming off the beach and turning down the asphalt. !!! Hallowed ground for sure

kidcampbell71 and robracer1 like this.
  22. slowmotion

slowmotion

Probably changed as much since my last trip, Bike Week '77. I really like that place, need to get back there someday.

23. louisb

louisb

We need a TROG South at Daytona. Say mid February when the rest of the US is covered in snow?

--louis

kidcampbell71 and pigfluxer like this.
  24. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I am going to eat there the next time I am down there.

25. Jeff : order the clam chowdah. Youll be glad you did!!!

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

26. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I passed that place going to eat by the lighthouse on Ponce inlet.

27. RidgeRunner

RidgeRunner
    from Western MA

Camped and partied on the beach by the old North Turn in '70&'71 before moving out to the Speedway for the Sat night before festivities in the infield and 500 on Sunday. Place was called "The Oldtimers" then, only building around. In '70 I used the pay phone [remember those?] there to call work Thursday and "mark off sick further notice"............ 'Course soon as the foreman on duty answered somebody started the jukebox playing...... Great memories of great times!

Was in the area in Dec '87 and had to look hard to find the place, new buildings all around. Glad to see the "Oasis" has survived.

Ed

Last edited: Dec 10, 2016
  28. MidwestOldie

MidwestOldie

No beer now and a daily fee.

29. Having gone to college in the mid-60's in Deland, it was only 25 miles to the beach. We started going in February, water was too cold, but you could cruise and lay out. It was a BIG detraction and my grades proved it.