Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Evolution of a Drag Sedan

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by J.Ukrop, Aug 26, 2016.

1. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

J.Ukrop submitted a new blog post:

Evolution of a Drag Sedan

[​IMG]

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

Tall t 26 and kidcampbell71 like this.
  2. Very cool! It is very reminiscent of Drag-n-fly.
    Also the early version reminds me of Beaner's project. @porknbeaner
    [​IMG]

Tim likes this.
  3. Wow that second version has the motor in the front seat. The first version looks drivable almost like an early gasser. Love them both.

Good read @J.Ukrop . @Sancho thanks for the heads up man. ;)

Sancho likes this.
  4. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Second version looks like a later cowl?

5. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

not the same car.....

lurker mick and S.F. like this.
  6. seatex

seatex

Agreed, don't think it's the same car, check out the name on this 60's flopper....
    [​IMG]

7. chiro

chiro

Yup. That's right. Sedans can race too. Somebody should tell the guys that run TROG about that, IMHO

Andy

AmishMike likes this.
  8. Corn Fed

Corn Fed

It may be the same people, but it's not the same Model A. The stock bodied one is a 28-9 and the chopped one is a 30-1.

9. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,
    Drag racing sedans are very cool, especially ones that are chopped and give off this mean image. When the motor sounds emanate from the car, you know it is going to be quite a run down the strip. We always liked these drag racing sedans. The more we liked them and they were cool looking, the more we continued to film them at the drags. Here is one from Lions in 1960, a 32 Ford chopped sedan. This one was in the altered class, but it looks like it could fit right in with today's fender-less street sedans.
    Jnaki

10. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,

At Lions in 1959-60, there was this sedan that just made everyone look when it came to the line. It was once Koenig/Sundin sedan, Reath/Maillard (a great combo), and the Dosser Bros chopped sedan. Eventually, it became known as the Dosser/ Reath Automotive sedan. You could not walk by it in the pits without stopping to look at it. It had a white body, yellow frame, yellow wheels…what a set up. It was very loud and fast. Here is a compilation of the runs we were able to film at Lions.

Jnaki

Tall t 26 likes this.
  11. portage

portage
    from Montana

IMG_0004_NEW.jpg
    You're correct----for some reason or another, that car was hard to ignore.
    Included, (w/ any luck) is a photo I took of the same sdn in the pits at Lions in 1960.
    Very "cool" that you were able to get movies of it, etc.
    Thanks for posting and bringing back some memories.

LBCD, Tall t 26, jnaki and 1 other person like this.
  12. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Love it...that was inspiration for my car a few years ago.
    158.jpg

Tall t 26, Tim and Ron Funkhouser like this.
  13. jnaki

jnaki

Hey P,
    My photos/movies are for sharing. Ever since I discovered that I could digitize them and then make it easier to edit, a whole new/old world opened up. Now, I can see what I need or want to see separately. There are race cars that I have not scrutinized as yet. Something new pops up every time I watch those old films.

You have a nice photo of the chopped Reath Sedan. It was a local favorite, that is for sure. Now, as far as your photos are concerned, since you took photos of Lions during 1960, you wouldn't happen to have any other photos from that same time period? We have lost all of our 40 Willys Coupe build photos at home and at Lions from January 1960 to August 1960.

I do not know when you took those great photos, but if there is one, there must be others. If there are any others, would you be able to send them to me or post them in the Lions 1960 thread? I would love to see those photos. Maybe we are way in the background or some of our friends' race cars are in the photos. PM me if any contact is necessary.

Thanks,
    Jnaki
    Sorry, I did not reply sooner...a bunch of stuff took precedence in our family.

I was lucky back in 2015 when I found Rruss' old Lions film that showed our 40 Willys Coupe making a run on one of those random 1960 days. We were in B/Gas at the time. (March to June 1960.) From June to the end in August, we were in C/Gas.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2018
    kidcampbell71 likes this.
  14. wuga

wuga
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Speaking of Drag N Fly, here it is under wraps awaiting resurrection. Hopefully this awesome car will soon see the light of day.

Love Sedan Altereds
    Warren

[​IMG]

Just Gary and HunterYJ like this.
  15. 1940Willys

1940Willys

Man, I was told the Orange Crate was in the Swap Meet area of CHRR when we were there and I missed it. Man was I bummed! FB_IMG_1477285922816.jpg

Tall t 26 and HunterYJ like this.
  16. jnaki

jnaki

Saturday at the drags:
    upload_2018-8-25_3-27-59.png Kustomrama upload_2018-8-25_3-29-46.png
    Hello,

When I was researching George Cerny and his paint shop in Compton,CA, I came across the famous, Kustomrama website. This place is full of facts and photos on the old hot rod/custom scene in So Cal as well as other places. Hot rod and/or customs? It had a ton of information and photos.

Back in high school, a Cerny paint job was as good as the Watson and Joe Andersen’s shops. They were just as expensive for the teenager, too. So, it was a look and admire, but it would take too long to save up for that fancy color on our hot rods.

The chopped 32 sedan with the 59 A/A designation was shown from the 59-60 era. It looked like a street driven car without fenders and the only things noticeable were the A/A white shoe polish on the rear side window and the open headers. But, besides the A/A window decoration, some people ran headers on the street back then. So, if there were no other designations, it was a street driven sedan with a drag racing paint on the window. Or so we thought.

Jnaki

When I filmed this 32 ford altered at Lions in 59-60 season, it looked familiar. During this time or shortly after, George Cerny had his fingers in a candy orange, rear engined, modified roadster, so the identification was difficult. Running two cars at the drags???
    upload_2018-8-25_3-30-33.png upload_2018-8-25_3-30-46.png
    But, being a snoopy teenager, I probably knew the sedan belonged to the Cerny Group. Now, the 32 sedan with the set back in full view, it was definitely an altered. So, the similarities are the same for both chopped top sedans.

"George Cerny's (name misspelled) stock-bodied '32 tudor with a 3-inch top chop drove the boys mad at Santa Ana dragstrip during the '50s, where he ran 123.45 mph on gas. The engine is a Cadillac with dual 4-throat carburetors. This is the same engine that smoked his 1953 Olds passenger car through the Bonneville lights at 135 mph. The addition of an Isky cam to the engine jumped the '32 tudor 1/4-mile speed from 117 mph to 123 mph."

upload_2018-8-25_3-32-18.png
    “George used to race his tudor at the Santa Ana Dragstrip during the 1950s, where he ran 123.45 mph on gas. The car was equipped by a Cadillac engine sporting two 4-throat carburetors. George later used the same engine in his 1953 Oldsmobile. A car that was timed a 135 mph at Bonneville."
    upload_2018-8-25_3-33-51.png upload_2018-8-25_3-34-6.png
    1959 Altered 32 sedan, before the new paint?

patmanta likes this.
  17. jnaki

jnaki

[​IMG]
    Hey P,
    I am in the stages of including the Reath Automotive white Altered Sedan in another recent thread post and would like to use your photo in the story. I haven't seen any of your posts since 2018...are you ok? Since our back and forth posts about the Reath Automotive white altered sedan back in 2016, there was one last post question sent to you.

Sorry for the late post question, but somehow, you kind of disappeared from the HAMB. If there are any photos that you still have of the pits/action at Lions in 1960, I would love to see them. Maybe we can exchange your 1960 LIONS DRAGSTRIP photos for some of the movies that I took during the same time period.

Please let me know ASAP.
    Thank you,

Jnaki
    Does anyone know Portage or what happened to him. He was last seen in 2018. His last post was 2016...

Last edited: Mar 10, 2019
  18. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

IMG_4148.png IMG_4149.png IMG_4150.png
    Lo and behold, after "Ay Ling's" dragstrip days came to a close, it was repurposed for the sand drags. I found these on Instagram, complements of Kustoms by Spence and Chopped. That first wheelie picture is absolutely crazy!

Sancho, Tall t 26 and HunterYJ like this.
  19. Tall t 26

Tall t 26

Awesome pictures of some fast looking sedans. Thanks for sharing.

J.Ukrop likes this.
  20. shortypu

shortypu

Holy crap Ay Ling doing a wheelie in the sand is just badass.

J.Ukrop likes this.