Register now to get rid of these ads!

Motion Pictures RideCache

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Aug 10, 2016.

1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Ryan submitted a new blog post:

RideCache

[​IMG]

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

Last edited: Aug 10, 2016
    wicarnut and dana barlow like this.
  2. squirrel

squirrel

Interesting....

although there seems to be a dead link in your post, or maybe my browser settings are hostile. The links to the main page give me a blank page, although the link to the page with the purple roadster works.

I seem to be too busy working on stuff to keep records of a lot of what I do. I can see this would be helpful, if one were to put forth the effort to use it well.

Attached Files:

3. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Hmm... I can't reproduce the link issue. Anyone else having problems?

4. The link to the main page works for me.

5. squirrel

squirrel

Probably just my browser settings, I have it set to "kill". Although I don't recall seeing a blank index page for quite a while.

6. I would have liked this when I built my hotrod. I've tried to keep notes in those years HAMB calendars. Now I'm wondering where those are.....

7. gbix

gbix
    from Austin, TX

Thanks Ryan for the shout out!

We have built RideCache to be a serious tool for those that invest a lot in their cars and want to better organize, manage and preserve all the work. Think of it as a clean, digital version of all the detail behind your build thread - fully secure and privacy controlled. Not just for the history either, it is a great way to manage all of your to-do and wish lists. Hit me up if you have questions!

wicarnut and squirrel like this.
  8. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

No... It doesn't... You pretty much have complete control over what is public and what isn't.

Dan Hay likes this.
  9. Imwalkin

Imwalkin
    from Tucson, Az

I like the idea and giving it a try.
    I sent some feedback

10. gbix

gbix
    from Austin, TX

Dan - privacy controls (and overall security) was one of the first things we implemented when we built RideCache. As you discovered, there is a section in your main vehicle record that is always private - and this contains your purchase/sale history. But as Ryan mentioned, you also have full privacy controls on every element at 3 levels - full private, full public and what we call "riders only" (kind of like "friends", but a little different). You can find more info on privacy here and security here.

11. Katuna

Katuna
    from Clovis,Ca.

I'm game. I'll sign up and see how the free version works. Seems like a good idea. I know I have one huge binder that has all of our receipts. Without seeing the way it's formatted, I hope I can create separate files for different groups of receipts.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

12. neat idea. it is kinda why i put a lot of the history of my car in my build thread here on the hamb.
    how is it different? or better?

13. gbix

gbix
    from Austin, TX

The "Papers" tab lets you enter a record for your papers by Type (receipt, registration, specifications, instructions, etc) and then attach a PDF or image of the actual paper. Then you can easily search and filter those papers using the Type or description you entered. But then you can also attach those papers to any Task or Part to keep them all grouped nicely. So a task like rebuild exhaust - can have multiple parts (manifold, pipes, mufflers, hangers, etc), all with their own receipts - all organized together as a part of that main task. And the top level task could have papers associated with it as well. So you will see all of your papers in one big list on the papers tab, but also organized nicely into your tasks and parts as appropriate. Hope that helps!

14. gbix

gbix
    from Austin, TX

We love build threads, but there can be a lot of extraneous information in a build thread that the owner has no control over. And frankly, there is a lot that goes into a build that probably doesn't belong on a build thread but is nonetheless valuable and important (private notes, receipts, pictures, etc). The way we have started to think of RideCache is that it can be the "detail" behind your build thread. So it would contain everything that you post to your build thread and a lot more - but all in a very clean, well organized and privacy controlled manner. You can share your RideCache with others if you choose - to give them the same clean look at all that detail - but you don't have to. Many of our users keep their cars fully private and simply use RideCache as an organizational and value preservation tool. One other big difference is that you own your RideCache record and that record can be easily transferred to a new owner when the time comes.

15. squirrel

squirrel

I can see a lot of value to entering the information as your build progresses. I wish I were the kind of guy who could do that....instead, I have a few folders of scarcely sorted papers, one of design ideas/lists/notes, another of receipts, another of instructions that came with parts. Finding the info I need later is a pain, but also is not required very often, so I can deal with it.

When I was young, I would have been eager to use something like this, of course we didn't have anything nearly this convenient.

Hope you do well with it!

btw I tried again, I see you made it so the main page shows up on my browser now. Strange that it didn't work before.

16. Katuna

Katuna
    from Clovis,Ca.

Is there an issue with using this on an iPhone? I signed up via the link in Ryan's post. When I log on I can see my username at the bottom of the Menu so I am logged in. However, I can't seem to open anything. I click on an item and the Menu closes but it just goes back to the Home page.

17. gbix

gbix
    from Austin, TX

Katuna - it looks like you didn't get fully "subscribed" - I think I fixed that so it should work for you now. Just click the green "+ Add Vehicle" button and you should be off to the races now. Let me know if you need any other help!

And BTW - RideCache is very mobile optimized, so it should work great on any mobile device including an iPhone or iPad. Most people seem to use a desktop or laptop early on when they are entering a lot of info (the big keyboard, screen and usually faster internet connection is nice for the data entry), but then switch to accessing with a mobile device once they have everything entered.

18. gbix

gbix
    from Austin, TX

Thanks Jim. We do have a service called "RideCache Build" for those that really would like to have a fully built RideCache for their car, but don't have the time or inclination to do it themselves. We have done this for several of our clients with really special cars. It's not cheap (starts at ~$250 for us to build it depending on how much info you have to be digitized), but it only has to be done once and then is there forever so it is really nice (and adds real value to the car).

19. Thanks! I'll give it a go with my new project.
    So far I like your menus and such on a desktop. I'll try a mobile shortly

20. Dan Hay likes this.
  21. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:D Very nice.Seems to have a lot of security for the user built into the app.Ryan.Thanks for posting.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

22. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I get a "not authorized" message when I click on "complete subscription".

23. Katuna

Katuna
    from Clovis,Ca.

Yup, it's working now. Thanks! I see what you mean by using a desktop to enter the bulk of the data. I just threw some quick info on there and a few pics I had on my phone. Looks like it'll be pretty useful.

24. Yep, I'm having the same problem. Blank page. I'm using IE11 on Win 7. Also tried on Chrome. Same deal.

If I right click and look at source code. I can see HTML and javascript but nothing actually displays.

25. gbix

gbix
    from Austin, TX

Ebbsspeed, sorry you saw this error. I manually finished your registration, you should be able to login now. Give it a try and let me know if you have any other issues.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

26. gbix

gbix
    from Austin, TX

Strange, we haven't seen this problem before. What happens when you just type ridecache.com in the address bar?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

27. pwschuh

pwschuh
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I clicked on the security link and got a security certificate error. Go figure.

Actually security of the web host would be my biggest concern, particularly for people who are putting all of their personal documentation in the site. Large, well-heeled corporations get hacked every day. It just depends upon how lucrative your data store is considered to be by hackers.

I like the idea in general, though. Although I bet more people might have understood ridestash than ridecache.

28. Same deal. URL changes to https://ridecache.com/#/
    I can see the RideCache icon in the address bar and the page title, but that's it. Page is blank. If I click on the certificate, I can view it, no problem. It's got air, fuel, compression, and spark but I can't get it to start. Must be the timing.

29. Interesting concept. I guess I'm not actually seeing how this would benefit me besides being able to access stuff on my phone instead of keeping it in my head or on paper. I definitely wouldn't pay 50 dollars a year for the privilege of this service, but I'm real cheap. With out being able to add more than 1 car on the free level it just won't work for me and like I said i can buy a lot of paper notebooks and 3 ring binders for 50 bucks and then I have an actual hard copy I can access when the world ends...

I guess really it's meant for guys that like technology and modern things and such. For me it seems time consuming and I'm not sure what I get, but another way to show off my cars online? Like a Facebook for my car?

I'm not trying to be down on you guys. Seems like a great idea. It's just not for me. I'll spend some more time messing with it before I make a final decision.

Sent from my SM-G900T using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Cyclone_racer likes this.