Register now to get rid of these ads!

Motion Pictures Up From Clay: A Car is Born (1959)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jive-Bomber, Jun 14, 2016.

1. Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber submitted a new blog post:

Up From Clay: A Car is Born (1959)

[​IMG]

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

Drewfus and kidcampbell71 like this.
  2. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

I'm falling asleep,,, get to the point.

Just like I remember the movies we used to watch in Civics' class at Hueneme High in Oxnard.
    And I never fell asleep,,, really

3. Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber

The commentator is half the problem, but I do love seeing shots of the design studio and clay mock ups...

4. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

I worked for a RV Manufacture that had a clay department, I just wanted to play a little with the stuff. Later they went to CNC foam, also cool

Also had a plastic vacu-form area,, but the guy from Graphics could only look

5. autobilly

autobilly

Very interesting film, but the Vice Prez could have done with a couple of martinis.

6. A marvellous simphony. Thanks.

7. Blade58

Blade58
    from apopka ,Fl

Cool Video,I wonder how many of those Giant press's are still in use? and what happen to the Dies at the end of production? scrapped or sold sold, worked where we had a Tool and Die shop, there is a lot of man hours in those stamping die for small parts, I met a 80 years young gentlemen years ago who was a retired tool and Die maker was working part time at a placed I worked ,told me the story of the challenge he faced with the Dies stamping early corvette dash after a few stamps the dies wore out then they came up with Hard Chroming on the dies

8. EW_

EW_
    from DFW

When models changed drastically every year, it is amazing what they could accomplish in 12 months.

9. Personally enjoyed each and every moment of this film. Yes the narrator is tonal, but the visual content, is mind blowing. I grew up, in Euclid (Cleveland) Ohio, home to many of these factories. (TRW, Euclid Road Machine, Lincoln Electric...)
    Fisher Body, by my house, made interior for all of GM models. My friends Mom worked there and used to bring home little samples to show us. That plant also made Nomad and Safari bodies, in the 50's. Needless to say, they are all closed down. SO many neighborhood people were employed there. You would see them walking to work, with their lunch boxes. They all seemed happy. Just like the ones in the film. Look at how nice everyone was dressed. Thanks for sharing.

JT

10. The 39 guy

The 39 guy

Thanks for the video. It always fascinates me to see how they designed and produced cars in the past.