Register now to get rid of these ads!

•••BUILD THREAD: SUGAR CITY SPL 1933 Ford Comp Coupe ROAD To ROG•••

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by JeffreyJames, Mar 16, 2013.

1. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Love that's car HotRodMicky!!! If I were ever to get rid of this '33 I think a '32 Roadster would be my first choice. Always cool to see one done right like yours.

2. HotRodMicky

HotRodMicky

Thanks JJ

BTW its not the roadster in my avatar (that was my 1st )

i would rather have a 32 pheaton than a roadster....
    So you are ahead of me.... :)

Now back to your 33 coupe

3. jfrolka

jfrolka

4. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Shit, that's not a bad deal especially if you can get it started. Thanks jfrolka! Unfortunately it's a little far from North Carolina. :D

I'm really at the 2 month mark for to have this car built so I'm sure it's no surprise that I'm 99% sure I'm not going to make it. So the engine is not as big of a deal anymore since everything else needs to line up as well.

HOWEVER I'm gonna keep chipping away steadily and if it's gotta come out for the Roundup instead then so be it. Car is going to be built right and I'm not going to cut corners on this car. This one I want done right so I don't even have to pull the body again.

5. kasultana

kasultana

JJ if you need a 59a/8ba flathead let me know. Or if you want a 21 stud I know where to get one quick (it hasn't been rebuilt). The 59a/8ba are at the machinist right now so might be a week or so before short block could be done. I was building them for future projects but happy to help if are on a deadline. Let me know Keith.

6. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Hey thanks Kasultana!!! I really can't believe how many people have stepped up with the missing engine issue I have. So awesome!

I worked on a few things today to get that frame a little bit closer to going to the PowderCoater. Few things I forgot to get in order are the drag link, steering hoop, drop the spindle arms etc. I ordered the rivets so those should be in this week. Hopefully I'll make that dead line of end of July rolling chassis.

7. kasultana

kasultana

No problem if you need anything PM me and I'll give you my cell so we can talk. Let me know if we can help. Thanks Keith.

8. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

Can't wait to see that chassis rollin around...

9. jfrolka

jfrolka

Awesome. Im tuned in. You have a good eye so this little hot rod should come out pretty nice if you keep at ot like you are. The color is pretty damn nice too, i love it.

10. bubba67

bubba67
    from NJ

JJ,

I have a stock '33 drag link and a steering hoop if you want them, let me know. Jim

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

11. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Yeah I might take you up on that Jim! Can you send a pic or two to my phone or PM with a price? Thanks!

12. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Thanks!!! I changed up the color a bit I think. Every time I took that color in the shade it got greener and greener and what I wanted was a slate blue. New color is a Navy Intermediate Blue. I think that's going to be the ticket...... I think I have to do the maroon wheels now too haha!!

However at this point, if I even had a remote chance of making it, I am probably not going to put color on anything except powder-coating the frame satin black. If the car is in Jersey on Oct, 4th it's going to be a hodgepodge of colors I bet!!

13. My favorite combo :D

[​IMG]

14. jfrolka

jfrolka

It looks like a slate blue from the pics. Still doubtful of that maroon.

Im ready for that rolling chassis pic.

15. hotrod_willie

hotrod_willie

JJ it is not going to happen this year. Wright and Meyer Racing is building Model A Ford just to out run your 1933 Ford coupe. We are putting our parts together just to out run you. So enjoy 2013. In 2014 it will be a different story. JJ you will go down.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2013
  16. -Brent-

-Brent-

There should be pics of progress on every page of this thread. I read for a living - I want to see pics for fun! :D

17. Especially so with the title of this thread. It has big bolt bullets, attention grabbing words, and a claim of success in the face of adversity. :p

18. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

I'd like to say I'm out there in the garage working hard and getting it close to fire. Instead I took the family to Disney so only so only thing I'm wrenching is my shirt from all the humidity and walking we're doing.

Viva la ROG 2014!!!! Hahahaha!!!!!

I did get my rivets in from Nacewitcz so maybe next weekend ill finish up the frame?

19. jfrolka

jfrolka

I say we might see a rolling chassis by october but with the holidays coming, we wont see anything else till this time next year. Are your balls feelin busted yet?

20. hotrod_willie

hotrod_willie

JJ Here are some pic of my Hyd brake on my 1934 Ford. Hope this will you help out brother. If you need anything else let me know. Peace.

Attached Files:

21. hotrod_willie

hotrod_willie

Here is some more pics.

Attached Files:

22. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Thanks Willie that looks really clean!

23. Steverod

Steverod

JJ you always have some good artikles & news . Love the 3window.
    Subscribed

24. Are you back from hanging out with Donald and Goofy and working on this thing again?

25. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Hey thanks!!! I appreciate that.

Yeah I am and it ruled. Now I'm heading out tomorrow for a week in the Outer Banks. Perma-Vacationer!

Actually I guess I should give a small update but I think I'm just going to start another thread once I get pics of the work that's been done. Kinda like a Part 2 where I get some actual work done since I'm about done collecting things for now.

I guess the main news is I'm so swamped with work coming in and Sugar City, I'm giving up on my deadline of trying to get this done for Race of Gents this year. I really don't think I'd make it and it doesn't make sense to bust my ass each night (when I could be devoting it to design work) doing things just to miss it by long shot. Instead I think I'm going to focus on getting this car ready for next year's race or at least try and take this next winter and focus on the sheetmetal. I need to rechop the car and that's gonna be a real challenge along with getting all the gaps and such looking right. I actually would like to put a stock floor in it because the one that's in there bother's me. I figure this car deserves some attention and I want to get that sheetmetal RIGHT.

The frame is basically done. I only have to drop the steering arms, plate the steering hoop, and see if the drag link works before it actually can become a roller. Oh and that pesky juice brake conversion which jrblack30 posted in a tech thread which involves a lot of early for pieces to make the original pedals work with juice brakes. I think once the fall dies down and things slow up a bit I'll be able to make some real progress on the car there.

I picked up two engines over the weekend. I bought the one because it looks like it could be a runner and the other was tossed in for free. The runner being a late 21 stud I think is going to be put in my phaeton but if I need to I can run it in the '33 for the time being until I have the funds to rebuild a 24 stud. The engine also came with a really clean side shift trans that I can use the gears to put in a toploader so that was a score.

Thinking I was going to make RACE OF GENTS I ordered a bunch of stuff from Mac's which is always exciting. I got engine mounts, engine adapters, trans mount, wishbone ball insulators....ya know small but exciting stuff. I've been ordering 2 at a time too knowing that my phaeton really needs to get up an running (even before I finish this 33) because I want my family to ride with me here and there.

So basically I don't have a full update but I have been chipping away at things. What you might see happen in all honesty is me getting the frame to a roller state, then putting the body back on and pushing it aside to work on the phaeton. Then picking up the '33 later on.

Who knows, it changes week to week. I could have a burst of energy when I get back from vacation and want to get it running for THIS YEARS again. :D:D:D:D

26. PRIMER STUDIO

PRIMER STUDIO
    from Bozeman,MT

How are the projects going??

27. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Slow! I got my '35 back on the roads yesterday and have a few things to attend to before I can jump back on the '33. Got some cool stuff for it though and changing the direction a bit now that I've missed ROG. Stay Tuned!

28. titus

titus

I just went thru all the pages of your post, theres like 6 pages between each area of progress, thats not an acceptable amount , get you ass in gear!!! lol

29. JJ,
    What's the story buddy? You still kick in ass?

TTT for you and Merry Christmas.

Hack

30. bonesy

bonesy

Wow - I love the direction. That's really going to be an awesome hot rod.