Register now to get rid of these ads!

make you own ENGLISH WHEEL

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by slazzen, Feb 16, 2004.

1. here is the hook up on forged wheels I will post a tech when mine comes just ordered one forged wheels

2. 34Fordtk

34Fordtk

What on that page did you get for the wheels??Cant wait till you set one up.

3. 8 inch x3 1/2 forged caster wheel 4500 lb capacity $63 says its underated will hold 10,000lbs look at a english wheel its the same cept $140 cheaper
    Code: FSR-0830-16
    Price: $60.57

4. I bought a set of english wheel rollers from Oklahoma hardware and machine off Ebay. they are 4140 hardened steel-one is an 8"dia by 3" wide flat and a 3"dia and 3" wide large radius anvil with recesses for [and bearings] total cost was 250 dollars.

5. clarify is that for a kit plus a wheel for $250 ????

6. The concentricity and degree of surface finish required for an upper wheel
    are more critical than that of a caster.
    I would expect that the OD of a production caster will have to be
    finish machined before it is useable as an upper wheel.

Still alot quicker than machining one from scratch.

7. my buddy has a wheel at his shop and it has needed to be machined twice so I think that is part of maintaing the tool ?? I may be wrong also if the caster is forged then I would asume it is machined in a cnc to get the surface it has to roll on

8. Slazzen- I bought just the upper 8"wheel and 3"lower anvil. I felt they were worth that as they are hardened and they are the most critical parts of the english wheel.I bought 1" ACME threaded rod locally for about 10 dollars a foot with ACME THREADED NUTS. FOR THE ADJUSTMENT WHEEL ROD.WILL BUILD THE FRAME.

9. my buddy does commercial windows for a living so he uses that thead all and bots for work he is gonna hook me up I do need a lower wheel set though where did you get yours ??? I looked at several caster sites and at alot of the wheels this is the only place that sells the forged ones with this rating

10. Enjenjo did a very nice tech piece on building your own English Wheel.
    It's over on the RRT - or should be when FatCat gets it all up and running after the changeover.

The old RRT is still up - at least it was a couple days back - any you may be able to get the info there.

Or -- post a request on the RRT and they may be able to post the tech piece for you.

11. NoSurf

NoSurf

12. Bugman

Bugman

I'm having a student make me a RRT wheel as we speak. I'll post some pics when we get it done.

-Shop Teacher Jeff