Register now to get rid of these ads!

Early Hemi Ignition

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by scootermcrad, Mar 16, 2006.

1. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

School me guys! What do you like for lighting up your early Chrysler? Stock ignition? Aftermarket favorite? Magnetos? Coils? Brands? Pros and cons? Fill me in!

2. I don't have a preference, love my Joe Hunt Mag on the chrysler, electronic on a Desoto (not running so no opinion) stock dual point on a couple dodges, no problems yet

3. 4tford

4tford

I'm using a Mallory unilite distributor and coil on my 392 works well. Good up to 6500 rpm any thing higher and you need the mallory hifire box for rpms over 6500.

4. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Been thinking of going with the Joe Hunt mag. How was the price? Did it carry a pretty hefty price tag??

Is there any real advantage to a mag over standard destributor or vise versa for this application? I've always heard great things about Joe Hunt mags for auto applications and I guess I would be simplifying the electrical system a bit. But, what's some of your opinions?

5. snap too

snap too
    from lost wages

For the street a guy can use the electronic small block (LA) distibutor , no muss,fuss or bother. PM me , I got info and I'm in Vegas.

6. Ol' Ron

Ol' Ron

For street the stock distributor is curved right and the vacuu advance eill increase gas milage. For higher hi voltage an electronic conversion will allow a hotter coil.
    Yes I ran a Hemi once/

7. Yo Baby

Yo Baby

Hopped up factory HEI works well.

8. Bugman

Bugman

I've got a Cirello Mag for mine. If that doesnt work well with the supercharger, I'll run a Mallory Dual Life. If that doesnt work, I'll probably use a Mopar electronic distributer, as it's almost a drop in.

9. HemiRambler

HemiRambler

With an adapter you can run any chevy distributor you like..

Attached Files:

10. Littleman

Littleman
    Alliance Member
    from OHIO, USA

I have run in the past a Mallary SuperSprint Mag w/ external coil...........But really like the MSD dizzy I just dropped in w/ the MSD box, semas to handle all that fuel real well from the six carbs dumping all at once..Littleman

11. Hey Hemirambler what kind of Rambler / Hemi are you running, I thinking of pulling my V8 out of my 65 Classic and dropping in a 354. Do you think it could fit without cutting? Fullblast:D

12. HemiRambler

HemiRambler

Fullblast, I've got a 392 in my '64 American - as I recall the Classic has the same engine compartment which means I highly doubt you can slip it in without some cutting. First problem is the steering column - it ends up wanting to occupy the same space as the valve cover - in my case I Z'd the column (over and down 2-3") to miss the head/Valve cover. Next problem is the M/C - you could leave it in the stock location, but you won't be able to remove the #7 spark plug with it in place . You could do like the old super stockers did and put in rubber brake lines off the master, but it's STILL a pain in the a$$ - you could also MOVE the M/C up like I did - it's still tight but now I can pull the #7 plug with the M/C in place. Shock towers will clear (I think barely). I left the firewall in the stock location on mine although I did remove the heater. On mine it dawned on me pretty quick that just gutting EVERYTHING would actually be easier - not sure if that was really true - but it seemed like the right decision at the time and I'd still do it that way now. I did this swap like 15 years ago - so I'm relying on memory here. Last winter I finaly got off my dead ass and made the front end tilt - makes it 1,000% easier to work on things now and I HIGHLY reccomend it (but I admit I am baised) Back to yours - the 354 has a shorter deck height so I think that's gonna make it a wee bit tighter than mine. Here's a couple of pics - let me know if I can be of any help.

Attached Files:

13. my hunt mag has been on this motor since 58, I just had it rebuilt by Hunt for $540. I don't think there is any advantage on a street motor but for 8 grand shift points it's problem free!

14. He's right, that will work. Also, I'm fond of the MSD units, try this:
    http://www.msdignition.com/dist_28.htm

I think I know where that '53 manual is now....soon I will be sending the photocopies to you, hang in there!:D

15. Shaggy

Shaggy
    from Sultan, WA

Well if you lengthen the shaft a 318 distributor it will fit i'm planning a 50's mallory dual point. Big block mopar comes really close, too bad it spins the wrong way that kills my idea of my 413/426 60's supermag good thing it was cheap.

16. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Joe Hunt got back to me over the weekend after some chatting and said they often carry refurbished ones. Not sure how I feel about something that's refurbished. Does that make anyone else squeemish or are these things just bulletproof?

Someone said Cirello... not familiar with them (I'm a youngin), but have heard good things. Are the Frankensteins pretty much "vintage", unobtainable speed equipment now? Are they worth looking for?

17. mines a polished unit and when came back from HUNT it was as new. they have 50 years in the business. mags have low voltage at cranking speed and increase with rpm. a battery unit is higher to start with and at average driving speeds, modern (HEI ect) will match them at high rpm also. I wouldn't trade mine but I probably wouldn't buy another unless the price was right.

18. If they have a refurbed mag, go ahead and buy it -- but just check to see how the price compares to a new one. Joe Hunt mags has always done good work -- and they stand behind what they do. I'd not hesitate to run a refurbished one . . as that is what we've been doing to race mags for years, sending them in for rework.

I'm building a blown 392 as I write this -- am going the MSD route with a 7535 box. I want to be able to control advance/retard based on boost, potentially a knock sensor, etc. Also - depending on gasoline type, I will need adjustments. These units are not cheap, and you need to know how to use them, but then again . . . if I wanted cheap horsepower, I wouldn't be building a 392!

19. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

B&S, you just made me think of something that is important to me that I should mention when researching ignitions... I love to wrench and tinker, hate to deal with stuff that needs constant attention if there are alternative. I run a Joe Hunt on my Triumph motorcycle and I love it because once I got it timed and set I've pretty much left it alone. That's what I'm looking for in an ignition system. Get in and go with a one time set-up effort. Is a mag still a good idea (based on what I've found with my Trump) or do they require attention. My gut says a mag should be a good "get in and go" ignition, but is that the truth or am asking for constant annoyance?

20. Bugman

Bugman

I'll try to get a pic of my Cirello tomarrow. The only other one I've ever seen anywhere was setup for an SBC.

21. I use a smallblock chrysler electronic dist with the hotheads longer oilpump shaft in my 354,it works perfectly.

22. Soviet

Soviet

I just snagged this one off epay. Does anyone have any experience running one? The price was right, and it just looks so damn cool. Bugman, do you have any pics of yours yet?
    [​IMG]

23. QQMOON

QQMOON

I used to run a flame thrower but when i went on to Alky i fitted a MSD 6AL and new Dizzy works great

I am really digging this idea cheap outcome if you have a SBC Vertex

With an adapter you can run any chevy distributor you like..
    Attached Thumbnails[​IMG]

24. Hemi-roid

Hemi-roid
    from Cary, IL

That's what I used on my 392. It's a simple conversion, and works great. I connected the stock small block Mopar distributor to a MSD box and Blaster 2 coil. Runs like a million bucks.

Hemi-roid

25. OE mopar LA and RB distributors can have both vacuum and mech advance mechanisms as well as bottom shafts swapped or 'mix & match'... But don't know that helps w/ aftermarket stuff.

I was able to put reluctor wheel from slant 6 electronic into flathead 6 dist, but had to make rotor out of epoxy putty. Was a bitch getting later electronic pickup stuffed in smaller early (prestolite?) case. Would guess (knowing ma mopar) that 8 cyl's may have used same basic dist case.

If a guy wanted to look real retro, a small diameter coax wire could be snaked out the dist to go to chrome or orange box hidden somewhere.

Just a thought for swapping to electronic...

26. Little Wing

Little Wing
    from Northeast

So then will a BB dizzy work ( bolt in ) if you modified the points to be in the reverse direction?? In the sbm how short is the shaft?

27. Relic Stew

Relic Stew
    from Wisconsin

Here's a Cirello magneto for hemi. If I remember right it may have been a converted chevy unit. The tops are the same, just a different drive and lower body.

Attached Files:

28. Bugman

Bugman

Here's a pic of my Cirello. It's the later "DGM" style.

Attached Files:

29. Ruiner

Ruiner

the B/RB distributors turn the opposite direction, so the advance would have to be switched too...I like the idea of modifying a mag meant for another motor, might have to try that out down the road...

30. krooser

krooser

I believe your mag is a Frankenstein....the DGM has a more conventional look....oh yeah...these things are getting pricey!