Welcome to the THE H.A.M.B. forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   THE H.A.M.B. > General Discussion > The Hokey Ass Message Board

Closed Thread

Old 03-13-2006, 09:22 PM   #1
GRSMNKYCUSTOMS

Default Hot Rod/custom Big Rigs? Peterbilts Etc Etc

ok so i started a thread last week about it, and Ryan asked me to wait till this week so lets try it again, cuz it even sparked his interest!

i know there is alot of truck drivers on the hamb, and i know chrome shop mafia is here, so lets discuss hot rod or custom tractors.
i am going to be purchasing a late 50's early 60's peterbilt to pull the car hauler for my custom shop, and i was hoping to learn a little about which ways these trucks are being customized (and basically how far the envelope can be pushed!), and what is availible on the market.
and i dont know about you fellas but wouldnt some pics of these trucks be great????

lets see what we can stir up!....fellas?
Old 03-13-2006, 09:33 PM   #2
the duke
Grenade Inspector

Default Re: Hot Rod/custom Big Rigs? Peterbilts Etc Etc

sounds like a neat post to me sorry I don't know jack about semis
Old 03-13-2006, 09:36 PM   #3
Chili Phil
Old School HAMBer

In my seldom humble opinion, old trucks do not benefit much from envelope pushing. Like '32-'34, '39-'40 Fords, they are cool with just a little detailing.

Here's my Viper Brother Terry Lee's '56 KW. It's for sale or trade

chili
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	'56 KW 1.jpg
Views:	2697
Size:	54.2 KB
ID:	170857  
Old 03-13-2006, 09:41 PM   #4
muffman58

As a former over the road truck driver, I been watching the ''Trick my truck'' show with some intrest. I didn`t want to sound like a dumbass, but I had thought that chrome shop mafia on here might be the same as the show. I really like what they do on there and think the drivers of these rigs do also! They have really out-done some trucks to the point that I don`t know if I would drive them over the road. Too dam nice! When I drove National Carriers had some real nice trucks. I can`t remember but there was a place in Iowa that also had nice ones, all black & chrome. I think a sprint car driver owned them! Have you bought one yet? You gonna get a 379 Pete?
Old 03-13-2006, 09:42 PM   #5
screwtheman

I'm not sure how "traditional" it is. But there's a truck customizer about an hour away from me doing some crazy stuff...

Old 03-13-2006, 10:01 PM   #6
Redsled
Grenade Inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRSMNKYCUSTOMS
i was hoping to learn a little about which ways these trucks are being customized (and basically how far the envelope can be pushed!), and what is availible on the market.
and i dont know about you fellas but wouldnt some pics of these trucks be great????

We spotted these on the hot rod power tour last year.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	116_1667.JPG
Views:	1635
Size:	42.9 KB
ID:	170886   Click image for larger version

Name:	116_1668.JPG
Views:	1517
Size:	55.5 KB
ID:	170887   Click image for larger version

Name:	116_1669.JPG
Views:	5615
Size:	65.6 KB
ID:	170888  

Name:	116_1670.JPG
Views:	1391
Size:	42.0 KB
ID:	170889   Click image for larger version

Name:	116_1671.JPG
Views:	1239
Size:	43.5 KB
ID:	170890   Click image for larger version

Name:	116_1672.JPG
Views:	1324
Size:	30.4 KB
ID:	170891  

Name:	116_1673.JPG
Views:	960
Size:	38.1 KB
ID:	170892   Click image for larger version

Name:	116_1674.JPG
Views:	1044
Size:	40.8 KB
ID:	170893   Click image for larger version

Name:	116_1675.JPG
Views:	928
Size:	43.2 KB
ID:	170894  

Name:	116_1676.JPG
Views:	1059
Size:	41.9 KB
ID:	170895   Click image for larger version

Name:	116_1677.JPG
Views:	1522
Size:	36.9 KB
ID:	170896   Click image for larger version

Name:	116_1678.JPG
Views:	962
Size:	46.9 KB
ID:	170897  

Name:	116_1679.JPG
Views:	1132
Size:	44.1 KB
ID:	170898   Click image for larger version

Name:	116_1680.JPG
Views:	817
Size:	48.6 KB
ID:	170899   Click image for larger version

Name:	116_1682.JPG
Views:	1237
Size:	72.5 KB
ID:	170900  

Old 03-13-2006, 10:04 PM   #7
Mootz

New show on CMT (GASP!) called trick my truck. Did a 50's style rig that turned out pretty cool. White tuck and roll, pinstriping, painted steelies etc... Check out the photo gallery here:

http://www.cmt.com/shows/dyn/Trick_M.../episode.jhtml

Show has a real redneck feel to it but I can't help but watch. They do some pretty cool stuff for good people.

Mootz
Old 03-13-2006, 10:10 PM   #8
Lil John
Grenade Inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by muffman58
As a former over the road truck driver, I been watching the ''Trick my truck'' show with some intrest. I didn`t want to sound like a dumbass, but I had thought that chrome shop mafia on here might be the same as the show. I really like what they do on there and think the drivers of these rigs do also! They have really out-done some trucks to the point that I don`t know if I would drive them over the road. Too dam nice! When I drove National Carriers had some real nice trucks. I can`t remember but there was a place in Iowa that also had nice ones, all black & chrome. I think a sprint car driver owned them! Have you bought one yet? You gonna get a 379 Pete?
AHHH TMC. Out of des Moines. Used to be all KW. Now he went off and is into Freightliner Classics...Black and shiney alluminuminum...I belive your right he did have something to do with winged sprints
Old 03-13-2006, 10:11 PM   #9
Mootz

Not so traditional but chopped nonetheless. Has a pretty mean look to it...

Mootz
Old 03-13-2006, 10:30 PM   #10
Jr.
FNG

You might want to check out www. eastcoastlargecars.com They have quite a few pictures you might be interested in. I might have a 57 KW to sell, I was going to fix it up but got sidetracked on a 73 KW extended hood.
Old 03-13-2006, 11:11 PM   #11
Chrome Shop Mafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mootz
Not so traditional but chopped nonetheless. Has a pretty mean look to it...

Mootz
Ah, yes, 4-State Trucks, Inc./ Chrome Shop Mafia's Mob Sled, that was an interesting truck... i'm proud to say that the strap-less exhaust and strap-less fuel tanks were my idea directly for that truck... it's an awesome truck in person...

Take-care...

Troy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plowboy
Everyone wants to claim that they were "doing it" before it was cool. Who really gives a flying fuck?
Old 03-13-2006, 11:14 PM   #12
392_hemi
Alliance Member

Sure would like to have a Mack Mod. B.
Old 03-13-2006, 11:15 PM   #13
brandokust
Grenade Inspector

Sounds kinda wierd but i dream of becoming a long hauler, sitting behind the wheel of some big ass rig with tons of chrome and just cruizin down the highway for miles. Hey, it's basically a rod run with a pay check at the end.
Old 03-13-2006, 11:16 PM   #14
Chrome Shop Mafia

As a side note to you guys:

I'll be at the M.A.T.S. (Mid-America Truck Show) in Louisville, Kentucky, next week, so, if you'd like some pics of custom trucks, send me a PM and i'll send what i can when i can.

As another side not, the Trick My Truck show on CMT should be in its second season, hopefully, as, I was talking with Ryno a-little while back and he informed me that there were no for-sure answers, but, that it seemed like it will be going for a second season. Also, i've seen a few things saying that it's confirmed for the second season, so, if you guys liked the show, then it should be coming right back atchya'...

If anybody needs contact with 4-State Trucks, Inc./ Chrome Shop Mafia for some obsucre reason, i deffinetely can put you in contact with Bryan, he owns the place.

As a final side note to all of this, as I've been in contact with Bryan for a little while, last year, when the Mob Sled was being showcased for the First Annual M.A.T.S. Big Rig Build-Off (It took second), i was talking with him and ended up bringing up the idea of a "lead sled" themed semi truck. So, he's put me in charge of designing it, and, hopefully it will be something not only the truckers dig, but something you guys will like, also. I'm not releasing details on the truck, nor do we have a set time-frame of when it will be built, but, Bryan would like to build one.

Other than that, this thread deffinetely catches my interest, because semi-trucks are another area of interest to me, greatly...

Awesome thread!!!

Later...

Troy.

Quote:
Everyone wants to claim that they were "doing it" before it was cool. Who really gives a flying fuck?
Old 03-13-2006, 11:18 PM   #15
scarylarry

Hey Troy, how DID you hang the tanks??

Last edited by scarylarry; 03-13-2006 at 11:33 PM.
Old 03-13-2006, 11:20 PM   #16
AZAV8

O.K. all you picture posting wizards. Somebody with a copy of the Hot Rod-Rod & Custom No. 10 Quarterly from 1979 post the pictures of the '41 Ford cab over car hauler. Starting on page 32 is a rod test of Chuck Porter's cab over he used as a car hauler. Its hot rodded with a Dodge big block wedge V8, turbocharged. Yes, that's the same Chuck Porter of the hot rod truck recently discovered in California that was in a thread here recently. This is a neat truck and is exactly what needed here.

My scanner is on the fritz right now otherwise I'd scan my copy and email the pics to someone who can post.

A little help please.
Old 03-13-2006, 11:27 PM   #17
Zettle Bros.

Chrome Shop Mafia, hats off to you. You guys do some pretty cool trucks. My brother and I always go to Iowa 80 (world's biggest truck stop) in Walcott for the truck show in July. They have some real nice rigs from all over the US show up there. Alot of those guys drive them day in and day out. My Grandfather started driving truck in '48 and retired in '93. He had some stories from over the years. The best is when he met BC Frey at a truck stop out in Iowa. I think he said he had a White with a V-16 Detroit engine in it. Was known all over the country to haul freight in record time. Goverment even hired him one time to haul some kind of equipment from the midwest to out east. They said that there officals said the fastest it could be done was in 12 hours, he did it in 10!!!
Old 03-13-2006, 11:31 PM   #18
Hip

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRSMNKYCUSTOMS
ok so i started a thread last week about it, and Ryan asked me to wait till this week so lets try it again, cuz it even sparked his interest!

i know there is alot of truck drivers on the hamb, and i know chrome shop mafia is here, so lets discuss hot rod or custom tractors.
i am going to be purchasing a late 50's early 60's peterbilt to pull the car hauler for my custom shop, and i was hoping to learn a little about which ways these trucks are being customized (and basically how far the envelope can be pushed!), and what is availible on the market.

I just so happen to be looking at a
52 Chevy COE at a guys yard. He's gonna sell it (cheap) but dosnt know when! I can't wait to get that thing home, and start cutt'in on it.
This will kill two birds with one stone for me. My love for these style trucks and some way to tow my junk back and forth to Pomona or anywhere i want.
Old 03-13-2006, 11:37 PM   #19
Chrome Shop Mafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarylarry
Hey Try, how DID you hang the tanks??
Larry,

Tell you the truth, i'm not sure how Bryan acutally hung them in the end, i had a few ideas that i had sent him, my idea was basically to have a sleave that would cover a real tank under the sleave, so that it would be more functional. I belive Bryan just took some standard tanks and weled bars off the back that were connected to the frame, i'll ask him when i'm down in Louisville. The Mob Sled's got some other trick stuff, too, i'll have to show your guys the truck that really sent Bryan into truck customizing, recently, the outlaw truck, it may be a bit more you guys' style, or not. Either way, i'll be sure to ask him when i'm down there, if i can get a moment to talk with him.

@ Zettle Bros.:

Hey, thanks, praise is always good. I hope that 4-State can continue to wow the trucking world and outside worlds with some of the insane ideas played around with.

I really hope that when we can get around to building our "Lead Sled" based truck, that is, Bryan and 4-State and myself, that you guys will truly be interested in it. The cool thing is that i'm fairly involved, or can be, with trucks like this at only 14-years-old, so, that's cool...

Meanwhile, i'll find a pic of the outlaw truck for you guys...

later...

Troy.

Quote:
Old 03-13-2006, 11:39 PM   #20
Frank

A friend and I was talking about wishing there were some truck shows like that in Texas. How can I find out where some shows of this type are held?

My Daddy used to drive Mack's so I've always had a soft spot for them. His CB handle was "Short-legged Dog".

<--PROUD son of a Trucker!
Closed Thread