Register now to get rid of these ads!

32 rails under an "A"

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 56nobrakes, Mar 5, 2006.

1. 56nobrakes

56nobrakes

Hey folks, I was wondering if anyone can give me the contac info for American Stamping and if anyone has ever used the front frame rails from a 32 on a Model A frame? Thanks: 56

2. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

They are in Olive Branch, Mississippi and it is a very common thing to put a Model A front crossmember in a Deuce chassis.....to lower the car about 1 inch....:D

56nobrakes likes this.
  3. 40Standard

40Standard
    from Indy

Here is the address and phone. Great company, good people.

American Stamping Corporation

15401 Goodman Rd Ste A
    Olive Branch, MS 38654-7604
    (662) 895-5300

56nobrakes likes this.
  4. 56nobrakes

56nobrakes

Thanks for the help. I will get back when I decide what route, either full rails or just the front!!

5. Nimrod

Nimrod

Don't think your talking about the same thing. You asked about using the front of a '32 frame on a model A frame, I'm guessing from the firewall forward. But a model a frame is only 4" tall a '32 is 6", then you have a problem with the fender reveal and the narrowness of the A frame. Using the entire '32 frame makes for the purtiest hot rod you can build.

6. Jeem

Jeem
    Alliance Vendor

...you ain't kiddin!

7. When I see duce rails and radiator cowls with model A bodys, I think that you just couldnt afford a duce.

Heck there is one guy here with a duce fuel tank and a black square on his roof to simulate a soft top.

8. Shoprag

Shoprag

if your gonna go 32 rails give squeak bell a call at 661-871-5494 (kiwi konnection). they can build it pretty much to the mods u want and the best thing for u is that they're in california so u could get the frame faster.

9. SAVAGE

SAVAGE
    Alliance Vendor

I would say that also. Call Squeak. He does the highest quality work. Great guy and will do whatever you need done for a great price also.. Its hard to do it yourself like him. He has jigs and dimentions for all different setups

10. seymour

seymour
    from PNW

:rolleyes:

some of us actually prefer the look of a Model A on Deuce rails...

11. I would argue the point.

The Deuce is a good looker, but the A on 32 rails has it beat far as I'm concerned.
    It's a little more of a purist hot rod style to me.

As far as being able to afford a Deuce, I dunno.
    It's time or money that's expended.

The investment in time, difficulty and way more work to build the A on 32 rails car makes it a larger investment time-wise than does building a Deuce which is more of a bolt-it together proposition.

Deciding on whether a guy can or cannot afford a particular car type isn't what hot rodding is all about.

12. bardahl1

bardahl1

Squeek narrows his '32 rails an inch or so for a Model A - makes the rails fit within the body at the firewall. Looks like it was made to be that way, very clean. It's only noticable if you really look at it. If you need to get rails anyway why not start with something that fits bitchin.

13. Agreed, I've never much liked the look of the deuce coupe, but really like the styling of a 30/31 Model A. I know this is hard to believe, but if I ever owned a '32, I'd always be jonesin' for a model on deuce rails.
    The '32 is cool because of the flathead V8 and sexy rails, but I just don't care for the styling as much. I'd rather jump up to a '36 if I was going to spend money like what deuces go for.
    I also agree with C9 that the model A on deuce rails is more about what hot rodding is about. I do NOT see a model A on deuce rails as some kind of wanna be deuce.

14. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

I agree with Shoprag, I have a set from Squeek and you cannot find a better hot rod maniac to deal with he is very helpful and I have known him for years.

15. AV8-Rider

AV8-Rider

Mr. Zipper

Invest in some books like the splendid bibles from Montgomey, Dean Batchelors Hot rod book and Flat out by Albert Drake, among others. You will be enlightened on the subject A on Deuce, when finished reading those.

Yes, the A roadster where often more available and a bit cheaper before and after the war. But it also gives you a lower car with less wind resistance, but yet just as sturdy when put on Deuce rails.
    That was an issue in 1947 when you wanted to go fast on the lakes.
    Saves some weight too.

I have not choosen the 28 roadster for my car (Deuce rails) because I could not afford a Deuce body. I love the look of the 28/29 and I found an orig 28. Easy and obvious choice for me.

When reading the books mentioned, count the number of Model A's with stock grill shells. Compare number of cars with a "Deuce face".

Happy reading

Paul

16. buick320a

buick320a
    from indiana

PINCH THE FRAME AT THE FIREWALL, BOB OF THE REAR FRAME HORNS NO BIG DEAL, WE BEEN DOING IT FOR FORTY YEARS

17. McFly

McFly

Squeak rails! Do you like?

Attached Files:

18. AV8-Rider

AV8-Rider

I stopped at the bobbing. Need no pinch. The pinch would not make it faster or me a happier man.
    Pro/cons been discoussed on here SEVERAL times:D

5 - 10 minutes with the grinder and the frame is ready for the A-body.

Paul

Attached Files:

19. av8

av8

Right you are, Paul! And it doesn't take more than a day to make the A body ready for the Deuce frame. We're currently working on just such a project at Vern Tardel's shop in Santa Rosa. It's being documented step-by-step for inclusion in a forthcoming book from CarTech. Here are a few images that highlight the required work.

Up front, the Model A body is not a bad fit for a Deuce frame.

[​IMG]

Personally, I like the relationship of the '28-'29 cowl to a standard-width Deuce frame, especially when a full hood is fitted.

[​IMG]

The simplest way to get the rear of the body to fit is to removed the rear of the siderails, from the beginning of the frame kickup to the rear body rail. More metal will eventually be removed, but this is a good start.

[​IMG]

We also opted to remove the pieces that support the deck lid when it's used as a rumbleseat back. Other than for that application, the pieces serve no purpose.

[​IMG]

And, of course, as you point out, the rear horns need to be lopped off.

[​IMG]

A slight bit of relief to the lower edge of the Model A body where the Deuce frame arcs inward completes the basic fit.

[​IMG]

Body stiffness that is lost when the side rails are cut away is restored with a section of 1/8-inch steel plate formed to fit over the kickup in the Deuce frame. The plate is plug welded to the side rail and the rear body rail and stitched along both ends. Strong tacks spaced along the outer edge of the plate where it contacts the wheel housing function much like spot welds to tie it all together. The plate also provides a support rail for the rear floor -- one of today's tasks. BTW, the rear of the body (even with the lower rear panel removed) is now far stiffer than it was before with the side rails, rumbleseat supports, and rear panel in place.

[​IMG]

More later . . .

Mike

20. hammeredabone

hammeredabone

32 frames are 6 inches wide, model a are around 3 3/4". You may have to do some serious retapering to get the them to blend. Why not use the 32 side rails complete and have a much better looking frame?

21. Southfork

Southfork

Nice pic, McFly. Do you know the story on the Model A coupe project in the background of your picture? Looks like it has a wider door than stock.

22. hot rod wille

hot rod wille

Just finished a 29 on 32 rails----well, the frame is a custom made one by a guy here---did it something like 40 years ago---frame was rough but I got it in shape OK--check the pics---one really shows the curve to make the body fit.
    By the way-----Squeak louvered my deck lid---great job---gonna do a 32 roadster next and get a chassis from him.

Attached Files:

23. McFly

McFly

All I know is that its gonna be bad ass when he finishes it. Pretty sure its stock...but what do I know.

24. CaddyRat

CaddyRat

At todays' prices- who the heck CAN afford a '32?

Unless Grandpa left you one or you have black mail pics of Donald Trump nailing a goat...

...you could get a 'glass body and that would make you a kit car builder....not a hot rodder...

I'd gladly put 32 rails and a 32 grill on a 31... 1/4 of the price...

25. And all this time I thought I was a hotrodder:rolleyes:

26. Roadsters.com

Roadsters.com

I think I remember you telling us that your favorite band was The Pretenders.

Dave
    http://www.roadsters.com/

27. loudpedal

loudpedal
    from SLC Utah

I like '32 bodies AND I can afford to have one. I CHOOSE to use an A body on deuce rails because I think the A body has more sprit and character... ...but that's just my opinion.

Attached Files:

28. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

Yeah, I'm about to finish building the frame on my Model A project, and I'm really wishing I had started with 32 rails. I want a chop but don't want to channel my car, and thus, I've got two really ugly sticks that my car will ride on.

Oh well, I didn't know when I started, I just knew I wanted a '30-'31 Coupe. Chalk it up to absolutely no experience....

Anyone know offhand what Squeek wants for a pair of pinched '32 rails?

29. loudpedal

loudpedal
    from SLC Utah

30. triplexkustoms

triplexkustoms

i dont mind the 32 rails for the longer wheelbase, but i am tired of 32 shells on 28-29's. the stock shell looks so much better. as long as everyone wants a 32 frame it makes model a frames cheaper for me.