Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical MOTOR, Flathead Tech - Installing a cam and adjusting tappets

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Kevin Lee, Feb 24, 2006.

1. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

I am using an Isky Max1. It is supposed to be a nice all around cam as well as a decent blower cam.

I obviously had to start by getting the old stuff out. This was a running motor so I didn't have to break out the heavies (in the left of the photo) to get the valves and guides out. They all popped out with no more effort than a typical wine cork. That's a Speedway pickle fork on the left and the other tool you see over there is a hook I made from a bicycle spoke to pull the retainers. I'm considering welding a nub onto the backside of the Speedway fork to more resemble other forks I've seen.

The stock cam is the one on the right in the middle of the valve assemblies. I sectioned my bench off so I could sort everything make sure all of the bits went back into their respective bores.

You can also see the stock fiber gear leaning against the wall. It looked to be in GREAT shape but I hear it's always good to replace them during a rebuild. I am switching my ignition from the posthole style to the early (crab) style anyway so I definitely need to replace my timing gears - late gears are cut the opposite direction and will put thrust on the distributor causing early failure.

The early timing gear was scabbed from an early motor and is already on the new cam. (left)

Attached Files:

• cams.jpg
      cams.jpg
      File size:
      62.3 KB
      Views:
  2. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Next was the fun part. Changing the cam gear requires you to change the crank gear too. After trying several methods to remove the crank gear with the crank still in the block (any clearance for a puller is non existant) I opted to pull the front cap and smash it from the backside with a hand sledge and punch.

The first few blows shattered teeth and sent bits of shrapnel in every direction. But after the mess was swept away the work-flow settled into a solid blow followed by a half rotation of the crank to get a good hit on the opposite side. I basically "walked" the gear off of the crank.

A smart man would have covered the bearing surface while doing this.

So here's the empty space waiting for a new cam and gears.

Attached Files:

3. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

And here's a picture of a big gear puller doing what it does. It's amazing what the right tool will do. I'm cheap but have no problem spending money on something like this. It's just vicious looking... savage. I bought this from the coolest hardware store in Kansas City. It (the store) is a recent find for me. I forget the name but it is right in the middle of downtown and has been in business since 1933. GREAT place.

FYI - A flathead crank fits pretty well right between the front wheel and split wishbone of your hot rod. Reach over and give the steering wheel a crank to keep everything in place while wrenching on the gear puller.

Look at the floor next to the water pump pulleys and you can see the ends of the five dollar puller in a tweaked and bent heap.

Attached Files:

4. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Not much to say here. Just a bunch of break in lube slopped onto the camshaft.

Attached Files:

5. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

And here are the gears and cam installed. Things got a bit heated and I forgot to pick up the camera for a few steps but it went like this.

1) Give the crank snout a light coat of grease in preparation of installing the crank gear. I wanted to get the crank gear on first as I thought it would be much easier to spin the cam to line up with the crank than the opposite.

2) Realize you have nothing to drive the gear home. Search frantically and find a scrap of your old exhaust (made from EMT) and cut a 10" length off.

3) Slide it over the snout and keep hammering until the gear is fully seated.

4) Paint the piece of pipe red and hang it on your wall. It is now a flathead tool.

I had to spin the motor over to get the cam in the last half inch or so. Make sure to line up the timing marks on the two gears. My crank gear had a dot (on a peak) and the cam gear had a slot (in a valley)

Attached Files:

6. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Next comes installing and adjusting the lifters.

Again, I got in a hurry and didn't pick up the camera for a few steps, but all you would really be seeing is pictures of parts dipped in Isky lube.

I looked at the adjustables that came out of my motor and they were flat so I'm using Speedway adjustables. I've heard the various stories about soft lifters and to be honest, I didn't give it much thought when I picked up the phone.

I did notice that after I recieved the lifters I pulled a couple out of the box to find a nick more than big enough to catch a fingernail. It only happened on two of them but it was there. I called Speedway and their tech guy gave me some suggestions which involved emory cloth and assured me that if there were any problems after install they would be taken care of.

Thirty seconds on a friend's lathe with a scotchbrite pad and they seemed fine. I'll keep you posted.

7. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Here are the tools from left to right.

Johnson tappet wrench. There is a left and right. You are looking at one of them - not sure which - the other is somewhere in the valley already.

Feeler gauge - .014.

Modified wrench. This has had some time on the green wheel to thin it down and shorten the throat so the ends don't extend past the adjuster when in use. So now it's high speed/low drag. I also chopped it off at the recommended five inches which seems like the PERFECT length. And yup, that's fuel line slid over the handle. Comfy.

Now look up above the intake port. That was a flat washer. I had initially forgotten to order a set of wrenches with my lifters so when it came time to adjust them I thought I'd just make my own. That piece you see got a test run clamped in a pair of vice grips and that's as far as it went. I ordered the correct wrenches that day.

I had heard the stories about adjusting flathead tappets with these wrenches and was prepared to start off by smashing the backs of my hands and knuckles into the corner of my workbench to get them acclimated to the work. Turned out not to be the case for me - read on.

Attached Files:

8. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

No picture for this part. When you adjust each tappet you want to make sure it is on the heel of the cam to prevent negative lash. The absolute easiest way is to turn the engine over until the valve you are adjusting is at full open... now go another complete revolution and the lifter/tappet is now on the heel of the cam.

There are lots of formulas speaking to when corrisponding valves are just opening or have just shut, but I think the above method seems by far the most fool proof.

9. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

I've seen the drilled lifter bores and the other little tweaks to the block to make adjustments easier. And after fitting my modified wrench in the tight space left above the lifter bore but under the valve assembly I can see how av8's method of knocking the edge down a bit could be very beneficial. BUT, that is not to say I was bleeding tonight. I had a pretty easy time of it overall.

Now for those who have never seen it, here is a wrench in place. It's really pretty smart. The shape makes absolutely no sense until you see it in context. You have a bit that sort of snaps around a lifter and a bit which extends to the lifter next to it with a tab that reaches into a hole in the top of that lifter and holds it from turning.

From there you just use the modified wrench and fiddle with the adjustment screw until you have proper clearance. I turned until I could just slide the feeler into the gap with alittle push - and always made sure that when I wiggled it all I could feel was the flex of the gauge and absolutely no "rocking" sensation.

Attached Files:

10. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Silver Sharpies rule. I marked each valve after finishing. Be sure to remove the wrench before turning the motor over to make your next adjustment. I only had to make that mistake once.

Attached Files:

• mark.jpg
      mark.jpg
      File size:
      69.2 KB
      Views:
  11. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

That's it. Fifteen more times and you're finished. Keep in mind that the specs for my intake and exhaust were the same. Some cams require a larger exhaust gap. I that case I would do all of the intakes assemblies first and follow with the exhaust to keep cofusion to a minimum.

Attached Files:

12. Tuck

Tuck
    Tech Editor
    from MINNESOTA
    1. Early Hemi Tech

thats awesome kev...
    great tech.

13. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

I had a similar experience with my first one - I used the Johnson tool & a short wrench - it was a bit of hassle, but no blood & no horror stories that made me want to drill holes in round castings with a foot-long drill bit or grind the tops of lifter bores down. I 'spose if you were doing a lot of these, those would be sensible mods, but for the occasionaly build, I think the Johnson wrenches are fine...

14. Flatdog

Flatdog
    Member Emeritus

Kev,nice job.You have a talent for writing.

15. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

Great tech for someone who has never done this. Thanks!

16. BLAKE

BLAKE

Is is wrong to have stupid grin on yer face when reading a tech post...? Excellent info excellently presented... I'll save this for future reference.

17. blown49

blown49
    Member Emeritus

So how much drag on the gauge should you have when adjusting lifters? It's likely nearly impossible to discribe - but I'm asking anyway.

Manual says .014 intake and .018 exhaust.

You've come a long way baby:D

18. sodbuster

sodbuster
    from Kansas

Very good tech there Kevin........you will have it running by this weekend? (wink)

Chris

19. Digger_Dave

Digger_Dave
    Member Emeritus

One way that I use; is a feeler gauge called "GO"; "NO GO."

The .014 gauge has partner feeler gauges that are "Stepped"; the first 1/2" is actually .0135 then goes to .014 for 1/2", then it thickens to .0145.

If it moves (between the valve stem and the lifter) easily at .0135 but has a "drag" at .014, BUT won't go to the next step (.0145) then you are at .014

20. Automotive Stud

Automotive Stud

Quick Q, why did you have to change the crank gear? I did a cam swap/valve job last winter on mine, stepped up to the aluminum gear with no other mods.

21. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Kevin excellent job! now you need to throw in a dial indicator to check how accurately the cam is ground.

22. daddyo54

daddyo54
    Member Emeritus
    from Denison Tx

Thanks for the tech.

23. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

Because he changed from 49-53 distributor to crab style - BOTH gears are different as the thrust is reversed & the gears are pitched opposite...

24. NOBILLETA

NOBILLETA

Good stuff Kevin, heres a couple of extra stips on the crank gear,

1. You can usually take a sharp good quality chisel and strike the gear between the teeth (where the gear is thinnest) split it and it will slide right off, I've also heard of guys drilling a small hole through the gear front to back first and then splitting the gear, but never found it necessary. either way wear eye protection and be very careful not to ding the crank.

2. When installing the crank gear, find an old sauce pan, fill it with enough motor oil to just cover the gear, put the gear in, put it on a heat source
    (I use an outdoor gas grill as to not raise the spouses blood preasure) and heat untill the oil starts to bubble a bit, this will uniformly heat the whole gear and expand it a little, and you will be amazed at how easily it taps on.

25. Reggie

Reggie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Excellent Tech post!