Register now to get rid of these ads!

Lowering a 59 Fairlane

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Cruizer12, Feb 20, 2006.

1. Cruizer12

Cruizer12
    from Tucson, AZ

I am looking for info on lowering this such as type of shocks there part numbers and manufacture, does anyone know where I could find them for this car I have tried local parts stores and the people at the counters are no help.

Has anyone lowered a 1959 Ford Fairlane Galaxie 500 four door Sedan hardtop, and what did you use

Maniut likes this.
  2. 53sled

53sled
    from KCMO

go to the parts store, check in the monroe size chart for your stock type ends in lengths, pick the ones closest to what you need. there isn't an aftermarket lowering shock for old cars.

3. steevil

steevil

[​IMG]

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2263228
    cut coils (one full ring½ removed.) and 2" lowering blocks in the back.

The Ford pictured above dosen't sit right and will be going to 4" lowering blocks out back to level it out.

Factory stock shocks. The car never bottoms out on the suspension. Idealy you would look in the monroe catalogue and select a shock that has shorter length but in the case of the car pictured, the shocks were new so there were no issues.

Why does that matter? Using original shocks that have ridden at the same height for years will develop a wear pattern on the cylinder shaft. The exposed portion will pit and corrode over time leading to leaks if you suddenly change the ride height.

The car pictured dosen't look quite right because it's running 14" tires and they don't really fill the wheel wells and sits too high in the back.

pictured below, 1959 Mercury with cut coils, 4" lowering blocks and 15" wheels .
    [​IMG]
    Bell-Tech sells a generic 4" x 2" wide lowering block kit with U-bolts for about $30. Crazy easy to install.

Maniut likes this.
  4. sir

sir

....fifty-nine....

5. sir

sir

6. 59FORD

59FORD

Here's mine
    cut front coils with 4" blocks on old sagging springs.

Attached Files:

Maniut likes this.
  7. BlackFlag

BlackFlag

Dearborn classics is advertising up to 3" lowering shocks and leafs. Thats worth a shot. Bag it. Bags are for fags