Register now to get rid of these ads!

Lil' Jewel - Update

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Reggie, Feb 17, 2006.

1. Reggie

Reggie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

So I intended to show pics of the chassis build, but you know how it goes...u get busy and forget to snap pics. Here are a few to share.

First a refresher...El Jefe, Dondevas and I have have collaborated to putting a new chassis under a '28 Tudor.... Lil' Jewel. We are putting a Merc Flathead in it and attatching a S10 5-speed for some highway cruising. Some might think its overkill on a flathead powered A chassis, but I like using a K-member for the additional chassis strength. It also provides a stronger option for mounting for the brake and clutch master cylinders on the drivers side along with a place to mount the battery on the passenger side.

Attached Files:

2. Reggie

Reggie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I like to use '40-'48 ford passenger car pedals. They are much cheaper than '39s. Since I like to use hydraulic clutch systems (when I can hide them from casual view), I don't need the manual clutch arm of the desirable '39 pedals. The clutch pedal has an arm welded to the bottom for driving the clutch master cylinder. Also, I only use the pedals and discard the cast pedal/master cylinder mount. The old pedals will now be mounted on a 7/8 inch shaft that is machined at the end accept the '40 pedals. This shaft is mounted by drilling a hole thru both sides of the boxed frame rails and then welded in. I also add a brace that bolts to the end of the shaft and to the K-member for added support. Here you see the pedals mounted on the shaft in the frame.

Attached Files:

3. Levis Classic

Levis Classic

Looking good Reggie!

By the way you still looking for a 40 steering setup?

4. Reggie

Reggie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Initially we were going to use the model A buggy spring in the rear, but we didn't like the large petrusion into the back seat area. We switched to a behind the axle set up that utilized a '35-'40 ford front spring and a flat crossmember.

Attached Files:

5. Reggie

Reggie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The front-end is the standard proven hotrod setup, so I won't bore you with pics of that. However, we took the time to add tapped bungs for things like the adjustable proportioning valves, gas tank crossover switch for the saddle tanks, along with bolts welded to the frame for ground straps and exhaust hangers....the little things that are tough to go back and do once a frame is powder coated.

Attached Files:

6. hemi coupe

hemi coupe
    from so-cal

Reggie, Nice work man, is that chassis for the sedan? Its good to see that car is in the right hands now!!!
    Jimmy White

7. Reggie

Reggie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

To help get this car ready for the Round-Up, El Jefe (driving Airforce 1) and LuxBlue from CrushProof come by to help with some body stuff. They will be adding 2" minitubs so that we can get a bigger tire in the rear along with fixing a few things here and there. Thanks guys...this helps me out a ton on the time thing!!

Attached Files:

8. Reggie

Reggie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

While I get to play with the freshly powder coated stuff!!!! Can we say roller by Monday??

Attached Files:

9. Reggie

Reggie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks L-C and Jimmy. This is the chassis for that A sedan. Hopefully this one will deliver many miles of fun.

10. BLAKE

BLAKE

Lookin' good, guys.

11. hemi coupe

hemi coupe
    from so-cal

I should have been patient and the pictures would have answered my question!!! I am glad you are doing that sedan Justice. I bet the owner is really pleased with the work, I would be.
    Jimmy White

12. Terry

Terry

Looks good! How about your truck?

13. Reggie

Reggie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You mean this thing?? Yeah, it's back on the road. I did a Kevin Lee burnout out of my garage.....so I guess all is well again. I'm ready for that flt-blk stude powered Model-A pickup....again....where is he???

Attached Files:

14. Anderson

Anderson

Sorry to go off topic....but was that Chevy truck in or around Lewisville/Flower Mound sometime last week??

The Jewel is gonna be awesome. Can't wait to see it finished!

15. Reggie

Reggie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Both trucks are Fords. If you're talking about BenD's pulling the stretcher, he should have made it to Coppel area on Monday or Tuesday to visit his sister. If you are talking about my unibody, my brother lives in the North Plano area but I haven't been there in weeks.

16. Anderson

Anderson

I'm talking about "air force one" up there.

17. Reggie

Reggie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ah....I don't know. Steve's sister lives in that area too...so certainly a possibility.

18. fatluckys

fatluckys

You're a hero Reggie. I can't wait to see that car finally finished right.

19. LUX BLUE

LUX BLUE
    Alliance Vendor
    from AUSTIN,TX

time to get busy on my end. the minitubs are, shockingly enough, the easy part. the seat brackets and column supports are gonna be the bitch of the bunch. I have a cool /functional design in my head, so let's see if I can pull it off by middle next week.

thanks to Reg and Jefe for letting me collaborate. seems the Muscle Car Guy might be of some use to the locals after all!:D

everyone please wish me luck. this thing is shiny on the outside, so any welding is pretty much out of the question. gotsta get inventive...

20. BELLM

BELLM

Looking good! No wonder we haven't seen you in a while. Looks like you built a completely new frame.

21. Reggie

Reggie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Uh-Oh....don't scare me Lux....Muscle Car guy and tubs....hmm....I just need about 2 more inches...think minitubs :D.

P.S. I know you understand what we want...just pulling your leg.

BellM -
    we had to start new....couldn't trust the original foundation. How's your 3-window coming?

22. Gator

Gator

Thanks for the pics, Hotwheels, gettin some good ideas for my A.

23. So your gonna pimp that at the Round-up? Nice!

24. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

That's so cool. I get stoked when I see stuff like that getting fixed right.

Really like the pedal setup too - smart.

25. Dirty2

Dirty2

Very nice work Reggie !!! Cant wait to see it in person !!!

26. LUX BLUE

LUX BLUE
    Alliance Vendor
    from AUSTIN,TX

27. Kev Nemo

Kev Nemo

I saw this Friday-beautiful in person to say the least!:D

28. UnIOnViLLEHauNT

UnIOnViLLEHauNT

Hey there, that looks awesome! Any info on the kit used for the S10 swap? I am really leaning towards putting my S10 trans behind my 50 Merc motor, and your setup looks clean. thx!

29. Reggie

Reggie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It's a pretty straight forward setup. There are quite a few posts on this topic. The search engine will find them for you. But basically I'm using a tranny adapter (and pilot shaft adapter) from Speedway motors, the S10 tranny and clutch disc, and the flathead bellhousing, pressureplate, and flywheel. I'm using the Howe Racing Hydraulic Throw Out bearing that's pushed by a 3/4" bore Wilwood Master Cylinder.

30. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

far out Reggie....:) :)