Register now to get rid of these ads!

t-5 to a early 4 banger halfass tech pt.1

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by heyitsnate, Feb 6, 2006.

1. heyitsnate

heyitsnate

okay i'll start by saying right off the bat i have a serious lack of photos.i was all alone (wah) and i had time constraints. i bought these parts from auto restorations which consist of an adapter plate,pilot bearing adapter,and a sleeve for the throw-out bearing.i chose to go with a model a pressure plate,and a model a flywheel lightened by about 20 lbs.i got the tranny from a junkyard (95 s10 78,000 mi.)for 100.00,and the rest cost me about $350.00.
    first i yoinked the old mill,pulled the bellhousing,and cleaned the throwout bearing assembly,and replaced the throwout bearing.then i pressed the sleeve for the throwout bearing onto the t-5 shaft,bolted the bellhousing to the adapter plate,then bolted the bellhousing to the t-5. i then slid the throwout assembly onto the t-5 shaft,and checked to make sure it was snug,but still slid okay.the sleeve needed a light sand to work properly.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. heyitsnate

heyitsnate

3. heyitsnate

heyitsnate

4. fordcragar

fordcragar
    from Yakima WA.

Which adapter are you using? What are you doing with the rear-end?

5. heyitsnate

heyitsnate

i then moved to the new mill,bolted on my new flywheel to 65 lbs.,then wired the bolts with safety wire. i then installed a new pilot bearing,and pilot bearing adapter.then i lined up the clutch disc with a CLUTCH ALIGNMENT TOOL,not a broomstick! c'mon guys they're only like 5 bucks...i then gradually tightened down the pressure plate.don't overtighten here,nuthin worse than a broken bolt in a new cut flywheel.i tightened them 1/4 turn past full flatness of the lockwashers.
    [​IMG]

6. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Looks good nate! drop the pan off that old motor...and show us some mississippi mud!

7. heyitsnate

heyitsnate

i then removed the alignment tool,and lifted the trans and bellhousing like a SAVAGE,and slid the sucker into place,and sweated like a beast whilst trying desperately to make ONE bolt.then i bolted the rest,and laid on the floor for 10 minutes.looking forward to the possibility of ILLEGAL SPEEDING!!! stay tuned for part two when i deal with converting my rear end to open drive,relocating my rear bones,and dealing with crossmember issues.
    [​IMG]

8. heyitsnate

heyitsnate

here's a parting shot of my garage.looks spooky.
    [​IMG]

9. heyitsnate

heyitsnate

the adapter plate is the orange piece in pic 3.stock rear end

10. heyitsnate

heyitsnate

i dropped the pan to steal the oil pump,it looked okay,but i wonder what lurks beneath the dipper tray...mooohahahaaa...

11. heyitsnate

heyitsnate

think you might be interested in the 4 banger way of life? see classified section.

12. looks great we had fun today at the Sacto swaps picked up a super sweet 31 5 window coupe complete on the cheap. Some sick scott injectors on 97 bases. After we went to the sons of the famous Parker hertitage. Man o man their dad ran a foundry. They have bins littery full of crager heads and riley over heads brand new never machined. A cabinet full of quick changes and rare old flattys around every turn.So many old magneto's it would make your head swim it was unreal. I could go on and on its the speed equipment holy grail. And he has a huge 40 ft container of all the patterns unreal.

13. AV8Paul

AV8Paul
    Member Emeritus

Nice job. You're going to love the way it'll drive now. I put one behind a flat V8 and I can't get enough wheel time!

14. briggs&strattonChev

briggs&strattonChev

where did you get the adapter plate/sleeve/bearing? Did you have to cut off any of the end of the T5 shaft?

15. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

We were just talkin' about how fast 70 mph is w/ a banger. Now, you can go 73!!! Really cool.

16. burger

burger

Nate,

Half-ass or not, thanks for posting this! I'll take half-ass tech over half-ass drama or half-ass rockabilly lifestyle any day of the week!

Ed

17. gas4blood

gas4blood
    from Kansas

Cool stuff, I'm more than a little inclined to do this with my '32 banger. I don't want to be a rolling road block, and drive it a lot. Can't wait to watch the rest of the project! Bob

18. Reggie

Reggie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Nate, thanks for posting....where did you get the adapter plate & pilot shaft bushing?

19. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

You banger guys are doing bad things to me lately. I thought I'd gotten over that Model T thing and now here's all this.

Anybody adapted a later transmission to a T motor before?

20. heyitsnate

heyitsnate

no,in fact i had to use an extension on the tip with a larger peg for the pilot bearing. i bought the parts from a company called auto restorations.they have a bad rap,but i had no problems at all...i lost their phone number,but i found them from the ahooga board... you can also do a keyword search on google..man,i'm so glad i did this.i'm getting all giddy at the prospect of downshifting!!! my home computer is down,but when i get it back up,i'll post pics of all the conversion parts ...

21. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

aren't we horrible!!! :D :D :D

22. heyitsnate

heyitsnate

here's a sneak preview of the high comp. cylinder head i'm using.i got this from another hamber who (if i remember correctly) dug it up out of the ground!

Attached Files:

• 1ray.JPG
      1ray.JPG
      File size:
      39.6 KB
      Views:
  23. What does the RayDay combustion chamber look like?

24. heyitsnate

heyitsnate

and here's the adapter goods from auto restorations

Attached Files:

25. heyitsnate

heyitsnate

man you're fast!

Attached Files:

26. Thanks!

It looks just like a Winfield.

27. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

did that come with the complete open drive conversion too? (what did it set you back?)

the head looks great! i will want to see it this weekend!!! i call you to see if you are going to be in...

28. kenagain

kenagain
    from so cal

looks real good what bellhousing do you use? will it bolt up to 32 34 4 banger back mount (39 style)
    love some more info on this

29. heyitsnate

heyitsnate

nope.uses model a bellhousing.i'm getting my open drive from the hotrod works.i did'nt trust this dude enough to get one from him.the hot rod works one ain't cheap at 350.00...

30. WOW musta been some very super great realy kool freind that turned you on to the whereabouts to that rare piece !!!!