Register now to get rid of these ads!

PCV on road draft tube Question.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Scott, Feb 5, 2006.

1. Scott

Scott

On my 283 I am going to run an oil fill tube on the intake manifold with vented cap. Can I attach a pcv valve to the draft tube and go from the pcv vave back to the intake manifold? Will I need another source of fresh air other than the breather. and finally should the hose from the pcv go directly into the intake or through the carb?
    I hope you understood my heiroglyphics and thanks in advance:rolleyes:
    diagrams would be nice!!!

2. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

That is exactly how Chevrolet did it when they first came out with the PCV. I know the 67 Chevelle with the 283 had the PCV valve hose connection that goes where your road draft tube bolts in. Check with the Chevelle parts houses. They may have the whole set up along with a diagram.

3. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

[​IMG]

This is a 66 - 67 Chevrolet set up ...on a 57 block.
    The oil fill tube has a PVC port that you can hook to the carb and the rear hole cast in the block gets a plug with a nipple for a hose that vents to the air cleaner.......just like GM designed it...:)

( the rear hose gets lost in the darkness....but it is there )
    All of the stuff is available reproduction....

4. Tony

Tony

On the 283 in my coupe i used the road draft tube hole as the pcv location.
    I kept the factory raod draft breather under the intake, then installed a drilled soft plug in draft tube hole.
    I put a PCV grommet in the hole, then just slid a PCV valve in it..
    The fill tube is the breather for the pcv system, and i've never once had a problem with it.

I ran my hose to the base of the carb.

Doing it this way hide's it from sight for the most part..
    look's clean and not many people realise your running a pcv valve.

Tony

5. Scott

Scott

thanks for the help guys, I guess the only thing I am shady on is how the air cleaner is part of the system or if it is even necessary

6. The air cleaner is only a part of the system if you are using a manifold without the oil fill and breather. When you use a valve cover pcv, you need a breather source, hence the tube from the oposite valve cover to the air cleaner.-MIKE:)

7. Scott

Scott

I get it now guys thank you!!!!!!!! :cool:

8. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

9. Cobra CSX 2189

Cobra CSX 2189

What if you have a modern day 350 cid and you want to use Corvette valve covers as pictured. Do you need something more than a pcv valve going into the carburetor? The 350 cid does not have an oil draft tube hole cast into the block.

Thanks for your help

Dan Hampton

Last edited: Sep 18, 2008
  10. George

George

You have to have a way for the air to get in to the crankcase. Either a breather on the valve covers or an inlet through the intake.