Register now to get rid of these ads!

CAD drawings - ford chassis...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by autocol, Feb 4, 2004.

1. autocol

autocol

i've done a bunch of searching on the HAMB, with limited results, and google, with even LESS success, in an effort to get my mitts on some relatively detailed drawings of a 32-34 ford chassis.

i'm a CAD junkie, and i've wanted to model one on the computer for ages. the funny thing is, now i work at a place with a laser cutter, and may actually consider making it.

if anyone has either drawn one from an existing chassis, or somehow got their hands on a drawing, i'd appreciate either an image, or even better, a DWG/DXF/whatever-you-got of it.

any and all results of modeling exercise will be posted here (perhaps in the art show), and 3D model will be freely available for anyone else that needs it when i'm done!

cheers.

2. Don't know of any early Ford chassis available on file. Most all of the drawings I have seen are still in paper form.

Since you are a self proclaimed CAD junkie, have you seen this stuff?

[​IMG]

DBBP.com

3. I have a "jpg" file of a '32 frame dimensioned drawing that I can Email if you're interested. You should be able to re-draw it in Autocad....I intend to someday.

If you draw it I'd like a copy. Do a "save as r14"... [​IMG]

4. Spitfire1776

Spitfire1776
    from York, PA

hey do you think you might be able to send it to me as well. I work in Microstation, and a lot of the 3D modeling is more efficient than AutoCAD. I could still send R14 file when its done.

5. volken65

volken65

I have a model A .DWG... I don't remember were i got it from but it's pretty accurate, i think.
    I could send it to you if you want.

6. You got it, ol_scratch. I only need the plan view and elevation...I never use 3D.

I'll need your Email address.

7. drgnwgn289

drgnwgn289

While you're at it, would you mind emailing them to me too? I'd really appreciate it. My email is in my profile, you can send huge detailed files if you want (its on the school's server) thanks
    Jake

8. Any chance I can get a copy of those acad files and also the jpg chassis drawing?

Thanks, Dan

9. 41ChevyTrucker

41ChevyTrucker

could I get a copy of that dwg ? I would like to check it out. I have been playing around with Rhino3d but I still am not very good. Would like to be able to do frames tho. I'll pm ya

10. 30roadster

30roadster

I'd call them - they may already have this in .dwg format
    wescott's

11. autocol

autocol

elpolacko, i found that site about a week ago.

what a ripper. it was actually the (re-)inspiration i needed to do the 32 frame... he does that stuff in Pro/E, which i know pretty well.

don't worry ol'skratch, i would NEVER DREAM of 3D modeling in AUTOCAD! BLUGH!

i'll be modelling the 32 in Inventor (also an autodesk package).

i'll be sure to update you guys once i've received the images (i emailed you boys that said you had some stuff...)

i've attached a drawing of what i make at work... it's an old one, but you get the idea...

Attached Files:

12. autocol

autocol

Attached Files:

13. JamesG

JamesG

I forgot all about that site! I use to go look and drool over all the shit that guy made. I would like to learn CAD myself

14. motormaniac

motormaniac

Hey Guys,
    I have been playing with designing my next car in ACAD and Rhino3D. I plan on using my Rhino drawings to spit out profile shapes to build a wood buck to build the body. This image is modeled in Penguin which makes it look like a marker drawing.

Attached Files:

15. JamesG

JamesG

Man can you download a CAD program online somewhere or will I have to buy it?

16. motormaniac

motormaniac

Yes, you can go to www.rhino3d.com and download a trial version for free. You can save your project 20 times and then you have no more saves. I feel you get the most for your money with Rhino compared to $$$ like Solid Works. Here is another shot of my car with more body parts.

Attached Files:

17. I drew up a 32 frame on autocad before i made mine i will mail it you.

18. autocol

autocol

taildraggin', that would be mucho appreciated. please note that i've just realised that the email in my profile was out of date... i've just updated it.

i'll PM you...

19. hardly

hardly
    from tn

just now found your info. If still available, i would appreciate the 32 ford drawings also.

20. Vance

Vance
    from N/A

PLEASE add me to the list of recipients! I'd love to have ANY CAD drawings that are loating around. I can handle anything up to AutoCAD 2005 and/or Micro Station V8.

Again, any cad files would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks,
    Vance

21. Me too! I start learning CAD in the fall and would like to get a headstart f'n with stuff I'm interested in... It'sll make it easier to learn. [email protected]

22. Paul

Paul
    Editor

23. SnoDawg

SnoDawg

I have a Cad a 65 Superior hearse....:D:D No drawings of it tho....

Dawg

24. MrExcite

MrExcite

If possible, I would love the cad files and the jpg's. Really appreciate it !!

send_to_this_johnkase@dejazzdDOTcom

25. Broman

Broman
    from an Island

I never saw this post when it was originated. Dang.

I don't know why you wouldn't 3D model in AutoCAD. It's different, yea, but it's not that bad...It's all I ever use. And Rhino is almost identical to AutoCAD. A few new twists here and there but mostly it's a straight up rip off (minus the negative connotation).

It's kinda funny to see this. I have been working on a 3D model of a Bleed style frame that my dad and I are planning to put under the '34 Pick-Up. Still hashing out the details though - more measurments need to be taken and the model revised to match said measurements. I plan on giving a few of these drawings out to a select few (only here at the HAMB). But mostly I aim at selling them on e-bay.

I should be able to list material sheets and all supplies necessary to build the chassis in the B.O.M. part of the blue prints. I don't want to make an unreasonable lowball estimate, but a guy who can weld and measure accurately should be able to build a decent chassis for VERY cheap. My plans will be aimed at channeled rods - it is far too complicated to build a swoopy frame like the factory units. There are far too many compound curves and angles.

As a side note here (and maybe I should start a whole new post, but what the hell right). I am working on plans for teardrop style campers. I realize most here would scoff at the idea of tugging a camper behind your rod. But hey - I'm building a truck! Utilitarian vehicles can get away with that and still come out looking sweet. Plus I imagine that swinging in to a campground on a random weekend in a '34 PU, dragging a teardrop would attract some attention. I like to be a social camper - so I think it'd be the bee's knees....

Anyone else think that's cool? Wanna see some CAD stuff along these lines? I am still doing paper drawings to get started - and I am pretty picky so it might be a little while, but if there is interest I will post it up.

26. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

So let me start by saying that anyone who uses AutoCAD (not inventor) to do 3D-modeling is either insane, has too much time on their hands, or hasn't tried anything else yet. AutoCAD in the 3D enviornment is extremely inefficient, time consuming and it's a major resource hog when rendering. Don't get me wrong, not cutting anyone down, I used it for years like that, but if you really enjoy 3D modeling in a scaled, CAD format, check out some of the software people have mentioned here. If you like 3D modeling in AutoCAD you will go CRAZY playing around with the others once you get them down!

How many CAD users do we have on here? Show of hands please! For those of us who mess around with doing chassis designs (components, frames, suspension, sheetmetal, etc.) I would love to see a Library started here just for PDFs, CAD formatted files, JPEGs, etc. that have info related to dimensions or even downloadable components for people who are using ProE, Microstation, SolidWorks, Inventor, etc... I know I would use it and this would be a GREAT place to have a library of parts and spec/dimensions if for no other reason than to just see how big that damn transmission, frame, axle, whatever, is.

I know this whole thread is sort of related to "untraditional" building/designing (beyond pens, pencils, and napkins), but a library of specs would help no matter what your building strategy is.

Anyone like this idea? Ryan, is this possible under the archives or something?

27. scootermcrad....I use Autocad LT (or r14) for everything. Here's an example....just preliminary of course.

Attached Files:

28. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I hope nobody took offense to what I just said about AutoCAD... not my intentions. Especially in 2-dimensional enviornment like that awesome drawing JohnnyFast just posted. AutoCAD is ruler for 2-D in my opinion. Been using it for year and still use it everyday.

My comment was simply towards doing 3-D stuff in AutoCAD. I worked with it for a few years, almost everyday (2000 and up versions) and it was a pain in the ass to make 3D stuff with... but didn't realize how much of a pain in the ass it was until I learned SolidWorks (similar to ProE, but somewhat stripped down). I could make the same thing in SolidWorks in 10 minutes that took me 3-hours to make in AutoCAD and the drawing was 1/10 the size (if not less). Anyway, hope nobody took that the wrong way! No bashing intended. Just trying to get people excited who like 3D CAD but haven't tried anything but normal AutoCAD (NOT talking about Inventor).

Anyone like the "library of specs and CAD files" idea?

29. JasonK

JasonK

Who has the Microstation file???? I'd like a copy....

[email protected]

I gots a teardrop trailer file I can trade..... :D

30. AZAV8

AZAV8
    from Tucson, AZ

I took no offense at your AutoCAD comments. Like any software package it has it's good points and its BAD points.

I like the idea of a library of specs and CAD files. I deal with and use AutoCAD LT all day long with my engineering business. I use LT because I only need 2D and its a whole LOT cheaper than the full version of AutoCAD.

On the Wescott frame drawings. They are .pdf files. You could plot them out on a plotter, then have them scanned and then have the raster files vectorized. A CAD drafting company I deal does that for me all the time when I need a .dwg file of a building and all I have is a paper drawing.

If this thread generates CAD files, I'd like copies if possible.
    Email: [email protected]
    Thanks.