Register now to get rid of these ads!

Early Hemi filter question...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by krooser, Feb 3, 2006.

1. krooser

krooser

I'm running an early Dodge truck cannister oil filter on my 354. It's the kind that unloads from the top and the cannister stays on the block.

anybody know the filter # and where they are available?

Does the std. 48 to 56 pass car filter work? And does it have the correct o-ring style gasket?

Thanks...

2. HemiRambler

HemiRambler

I'm not sure if I am thinking of the right one or not - if it's the same one as on the 392 with the cartrige filter angled upward then it's available at NAPA - kinda pricey last time I checked. In my '47 the hemi is a bit tight to the frame and the canister had to be dented to make it fit - that makes filter changes a REAL pain - so I made this adapter to run a modern spin on with the old housing - the smaller diameter clears the frame.

Hot heads has lots of modern adapters for relatively cheap money as well.

If I am way off the mark maybe post a picture of your setup - might help.

Attached Files:

3. Knowing Ma MoPar, I'd expect 'em to be the same; I think the # was Fram C4P. I've also seen the 'sealed canister' type where you toss the whole filter assy on an oil change (bet that's cheap).

BTW: remember to tighten the big bolt on top of the lid... DOH!

Don't ask.

-Bill

4. Bill.S

Bill.S
    from NW OH

Thats a nice trick using the old filter mount! I bought the vertical mount
    one from Hot Hemi Heads.
    I'll try what you did and have an extra one.

5. krooser

krooser

I was originally going to use a modern filter set-up but this nostalgia thing is killin' me...they load from the top and have a 360 degree clamp around the top 1/3'rd.

I've been to the Wally Parks museum and the Gartlis Museum several times...I keep seeing those "diggers" running the truck-style filter cannisters and they look so cool...kinda like the old Luberfiner 750C filters that used to hang on the sides of thousands of OTR trucks until about 15 years ago.

I'll check with NAPA in the morning...

I'm getting the bug...my '56 F-100 has a Hemi in it as of this week...my engine guy has the "good" motor line-bored, cylinders sleeved and bored, the rotating assy. goes to the balancer next week....we should have it buttoned up in a couple of weeks.

Vrooom...Vrooom

Attached Files:

6. krooser

krooser

that's a cool set-up you made...

7. Dood, you always have "the good stuff". Nice work adapting the original housing to use a modern spin on filter. Totaly cool shit!

8. R Pope

R Pope

The spin-on adapter from any 318-style engine will fit the older engines too, if you want to go that route. It holds on by the same size threads as the long bolt that held the can in place.

9. HemiRambler

HemiRambler

The things we'll do for nostalgia huh!!! I was contemplating adding a second bracket to mine so that I could "mount" the old canister over the spin on in an effort to make it look origional. Your mount is WAY COOL - I totally understand the desire to use it. That said - any way to add a modern filter inside???? Maybe get the best of both worlds.

This makes me wonder what are you doing for a water pump?? Those (stock) are way pricey - just incase you didn't know MoPar back then used the same bearing, shaft and seal (even ocassionally the IMPELLER) across several motor lines - I've rebuilt a couple 392 pumps by "stealing" the guts out of some other MoPar pump I picked up at the swap meet CHEAP!

Dude - another guy "wasting a hemi" on a truck!???!?! I'm totally kidding - I've got one in my '47 Ford Pickup Truck. Can you post some pics of the truck and motor - I'd love seeing those!!! Yours sounds like a WAY COOL project!

A couple comments on NAPA - they are NOT all created equally!!! NAPA stores are franchises. This is means that they don't all necessarily have acess to the same stuff. Sometime guys on the HAMB will tell me "go to NAPA that's where I got mine" - when I go my NAPA can't help me. Point being you might have to try more than one NAPA. Another thing with NAPA stores - the franchises can charge whatever they want - you go to NAPA online and get a price - your NAPA may or may NOT charge that much - MINE for instance ALWAYS charges anywhere from 25% - 50% MORE than what's quoted on line - I don't go to that NAPA branh anymore. Sorry to go so far off topic.............

10. HemiRambler

HemiRambler

Any chance you could post a pic of that - I'd love to see how it works.

11. HemiRambler

HemiRambler

Thanks Slayer!! It isn't always easy being CHEAP like me:eek: , but it sure is fun sometimes!!!:D

12. krooser

krooser

Well my NAPA guy and I spent an hour looking for the right filter. They had about 5 #'s in stock...none of which was correct.

We finally found a listing for the Industrial engines...bingo! It's a NAPA 1062...I'm hoping it will fit. the damed housing has about a 1/4 inch taper...some of these fit the top but wouldn't slide in.

Tuck has offered to send me his used filter, too....thanks Tuck...one of these will work.

I'll post some pix soon...

13. chuckspeed

chuckspeed

FRAM CH192PL.

I got a case of 'em.

Send me some $$ to cover shipping, and you can have one.

14. HemiRambler

HemiRambler

Hey Guys after a couple years or so on my '47 I have noticed a small issue with my POOR MAN'S FILTER ADAPTER. Actually I sorta noticed it up front but was hoping it would "go away" no such luck.

The ISSUE: My adapter works great EXCEPT that the filter itself NEEDED to be OVERTIGHTENED to keep the larger lower seal (beneath the adapter plate) tight enough to prevent leaks. The LARGER seal may have been a harder material or simply the increased area may have been the culprit - in any event I just today noticed a patch of oil under the truck - it was that lower seal and the filter was plenty tight - nope! this was an issue I put off long enough so back to the drawing board. And here's what I came up with: a threaded adapter plate - now I can install the plate and make sure it's tight - regardless of the filter tightness. The origioanl method relied on teh filter to seal both gaskets - the one between the filter and the plate and between the plate and the factory housing. Now they are independant. I think this should resolve the issue. If not I will report back.

BTW NEW on the LEFT old on the RIGHT

Attached Files:

15. 4-pot

4-pot

I also converted the stock 354 base to take a spin-on filter . Then i built a sort of clamp deal to snap on the spin-on with a nut on the end so I could use the stock can just because I like the looks of the original set up.

16. HemiRambler

HemiRambler

I'd love to see some pics.

17. Skirv

Skirv

Here's another small tip for the folks who want to use a spin-on filter but don't want it to be too noticeable. I used a K&N filter that has the nut on the top, removed the label and painted the filter black.

[​IMG]

18. Okay guys, how about some detailed info (possibly with pictures) on these home made spin on filter adapters...:D

19. Well, since asking for more info on a spin-on adapter for the Stock position, I've installed the engine in my 32 to check clearences and measurements. Just for grins, I stuck on the Stock filter and mount, and it fits like Factory. That's excellent, since there isn't ANY room to put in an alternative mount anywhere...due to the mini-starter being mounted on the passenger side. That, along with the headers, left only the Stock location. Lots of room however, I know that when I pull the can off, oil will slop all over the starter. To minimize any mess, I'm going to mount a petcock at the very bottom of the can, just above the lip and I'll make sure I point it down when I re-install the filter/can.. That way when oil change time comes, I can drain the filter before I take it of...

Attached Files:

20. 73RR

73RR

How about an adjustable mount?

[​IMG]

this is a 53 Dodge sedan
    [​IMG]

Bandit Billy likes this.
  21. There just isn't any room, except where it's at...

22. George

George

The LA spin on plate fits the A 318, how does it fit on the hemis?:confused:

23. 73RR

73RR

The LA plate is held in place with a fancy stud, 3/4 -16 on each side, which is the Mopar filter thread size. The early filter can is secured with a ½" dia bolt. The early aluminum base has just enough meat where the bolt screws in so you can redrill and tap for the stud. There are some pretty small filters with the correct thread size and gasket size so for those on a budget this is a good way out. The filter will still be upside down and puke oil on everything but it does work.

24. Andy

Andy

I use Ford FE engine oil filter housings. The bolts almost line up. I make some joggled bolts and a spacer so all can have room. I use the big common Ford oil filters. The filter ends up horrizontal and pointing to the rear.

25. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

When I drove a 52 New Yorker hemi I just went into the local parts store, asked for a 52 Chrysler oil filter, the guy looked it up and handed me one off the shelf. This was about 15 years ago. The same filter was used in other cars, tractors, etc.

There is a drain plug at the bottom of the housing to drain the oil at oil change or filter change time. The filter only needs to be changed every 5000 miles or less. It was a slight pain but not enough of a pain to be worth the bother and expense of changing to a different kind of filter. The spin on can be a pain too, there isn't that much difference. The stock filter can be changed from above and is a lot easier to get at than most new cars.

The filter itself is a full flow just like the newest cars. Except it is about 5 times as big.

26. George

George

There's a car one & a huge one used on trucks & Ind.

27. George

George

The FE one I have on one of mine is verticle.

28. Andy

Andy

I thought I would post a coupl of shots of my lash up

Attached Files:

29. robbins

robbins
    from Missouri

Kent Redd used to sell some like this.

30. robbins

robbins
    from Missouri