Register now to get rid of these ads!

ACHTUNG!!!: ORDEREN!!! das monthly meetin fer der BANGERen is called to order!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by fur biscuit, Feb 2, 2006.

1. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

As it the begining of the month, what have you accomplished over the preceding 30 odd days...

pictures and words if you please. :D

2. chrisntx

chrisntx
    from Texas .

working on the banger

Attached Files:

3. SUHRsc

SUHRsc

all i did all month was thinking about it
    too many other projects at the moment
    but looks like theres some new flat 4 classes for bonneville
    that i can now run it in my tank without having a record of 220 or something

i cant wait till i have time for 4 bangers
    this V8 stuff is too modern!

zach

4. buschandbusch

buschandbusch
    from Reno, NV

I've gathered a ton of new parts. My old stock banger wasn't used to being driven so much and is starting to fight back. I rebuilt the carb a couple times, but must have f'd something up cause it won't run without my choke on, and there's definitely air leaks everywhere. I also destroyed the secondary well trying to take it out so that probably has something to do with it :D
    My water pump has also given up the ghost and is blowing coolant everywhere.

But, I got my modern points installed, 12 volt finished, and found a Stromberg 97, got my Ansen intake and headers from Red's, got a V8 water pump, oh, and new tires, does that count?

5. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

ahhhh,, Ves, Ves, Ves....very goot, very goot!!! now more, more, more...

6. Are you going to kick me out cause I have a pinto motor I am building for a new project?

7. gas4blood

gas4blood
    from Kansas

Not much. I got a NOS Kansas 1932 license plate for my woodie. I found the site that has the Crager OHV conversion. I drove my car about 10 times on decent days. I found a '32 parts book in my stash of junk. I found some 16" KH wires that are really nice. I found two different Winfield carb set-ups, either of which I can try before I buy. One is an SR, the other an S. That's all, folks.

8. buschandbusch

buschandbusch
    from Reno, NV

my paycheck can hardly keep up! But I still NEED my Winfield head and aluminum side plate. Yes, I do NEED them, just like food, electricity and rent :rolleyes: And a new cam, and lightened flywheel, and balanced crank, some new springs as well, and.......

9. Gumpa

Gumpa

I found my way to H.A.M.B. and I did find and go get the AMC Pacer in Clatskanie, Oregon. I have ordered some parts and learned a bunch reading all the messages on the board. I am spending way too much time on the computer and not getting alot done on the Dodge but with this weather being what it is I wouldn't get much done anyway. When the rain stops I have to get the motor and trans out of the Lincoln and get it to the scrap yard. Then I will have room to disassemble the Pacer and get rid of the crap from it. Gumpa:rolleyes:

10. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

As I am sure you know the SR has an accelerator pump on it.

If you happen to come across a good Winfield model M up or downdraft 1.5" throat carb let me know i am looking for one.

thanks -

11. Gumpa

Gumpa

Hi guys
    Just moving this back to the top so I can see what every body else does in the winter time. Gumpa:D

12. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

vel, ve vill haf to put it out to der Bangeren, jah!

I am all for anyone building an inline four holer.

Though (i feel) that this thread should have the underlying tone for the promotion, construction, and destruction of pre-32 4-spot engines.

Lets see what you have come up with! and what are your plans? (i could see a modified with a log intake a couple of down draft carbs and a speedway style header on a late model SOHC ford banger...)

13. AZAV8

AZAV8
    from Tucson, AZ

I saw a real, live Winfield head on a banger motor for the first time in my 40+ years of hot rodding. A thrill I won't forget. A "friend" I know has it and I won't reveal the owner as he has plans for this gem.

14. Gumpa

Gumpa

Just bringing it back to the top again. Gumpa:D

15. fordcragar

fordcragar
    from Yakima WA.

The last couple of months I’ve been working on several other projects and have been trying to get them completed so I could get to my A. I bought a bigger lathe and need to get it cleaned up and moved. Several months ago I picked up a power hammer that needs a column built to support the arms.

Hopefully in the next couple of weeks I’ll get to my Model A and get the fuel problem fixed. There was an obstruction in the tank, that still might be a problem. There was no gas getting to the carb. I should have pressurized the tank, but instead blew back into the tank, so whatever was in there is still there.

I also need to replace the fuel pump and I’ll going to put another fuel regulator and a fuel gauge on it.

16. Artiki

Artiki
    from Brum...

I've pulled and stripped my rear axle in readiness for installing my quick-change. I had to wait a week or so for the new bearings ($$$) to arrive along with new seals and gaskets.
    I then spent the best part of two days assembling, disassembling, assembling, disassembling in an attempt to get the carrier bearing preload right. A pain in the arse, if ever there was one. I've got that sorted now, and I'm onto the pinion. This in itself has thrown up a few more problems that I think I've now got my head around. Hopefully the axle will be back together this weekend. Photos later.

17. heyitsnate

heyitsnate

let's see...got 2 new blocks, a zepher intake,my RAYDAY high compression head is on it's way back from the machine shop ,and i started the motor swap with new banger #1 and a t-5 in my 29.(you should come by saturday or sunday doug.)not to hijack,but which gasket sealant do you guys prefer?

Attached Files:

18. Artiki

Artiki
    from Brum...

It's not a hijack if it's about a banger!

Are you asking about head gasket sealer? If so, don't use any, buy yourself one of the new head gaskets available from Bratton's, Snyder's etc. They have silicone around the water jacket holes and stud areas and seal themselves. I bought one last year and it is brilliant. Only about $30 too.

19. Magnus B

Magnus B

I havn't been doing much on my banger nor the car itself. But this week I have been playin around and trying to convert a V8 dissy to be a dual plug dissy for my Lion head. I might be able to have it finished next monthly banger meet, but I real slow... :( At least I have worked out all the technical stuff, no it's just machining and making parts left.

//Magnus

20. noboD

noboD

Not if you pervert it to flathead to disguise the newness.

21. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I will be out tuning the speedster chassis rain or shine!!! this weekend i am going to be tuning the rear spring rebound: read wrap it in sisal cord, but this time i am going to wear gloves cause i still have the remnants of all the blisters i got from doing the front spring.

i will drop on by!

22. Following on from last month.

Some people were curious with how you identify if your Scintilla is pre or post war. This is the quickest way I've found of identifying the age. I'm not sure if this is 100% fool proof as there was most properly some sort of carry over period.

The pre-war Scintilla's have the square brass tag.

[​IMG]

Post-war has the rectangle stamped steel tag.

[​IMG]

Carrying on with the mag theme, I've just picked up this very British BTH or to give its full name British Thomson-Houston!

[​IMG]

As can be seen its a vertex style magneto with of course the A/B drive. It has the very distinctive feature of having the coil "piggy-back" style on the main body. Having the coil piggy-back was a feature of the Lucas magnetos. This feature makes it about 2" shorter, which may be useful if fitting it to a vehicle with a low bonnet line.
    At the moment I know very little about this. There are no markings to say what the advance is, if there is any at all.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The guy I got it from said it came in a box of spares when he bought his '33 Ford BB. He said he had no idea what it fitted, but I did and I wasn't going to tell me that it fitted his truck!
    Oddly it seems to have been rebuilt to a very high standard, but never fitted or run.

[​IMG]

This picture may come in handy if your looking for a non-standard dizzy/mag for your A/B engine.

[​IMG]

23. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

out of curiosity does any one have a copy of the SOSS article on converting a modern Dual spark datsun/ ford dizzy to a Model A?

thanks -

24. The37Kid

The37Kid

My Winfield equiped B will be going in a 1930 Model A Roadster. Found a good original sub rail, that I need. Will be doing some chopping to get it this weekend.:)

25. noboD

noboD

4ever4, Your comment reminded me of something. I have a Vertex mag I bought from someone that bought it from someone. I called Vertex and they were able to tell me by the serial no. what the advance was when it left the factory. They would also change the advance to anything I wanted.

26. kenagain

kenagain
    from so cal

my bangerun uses bmw dist electronic with msd box

still looking for RPU cab

Kenagain newby no longer fng

27. heyitsnate

heyitsnate

right on! saturday or sunday?also pm me your cell ##...i dropped my old phone in a porta-potty.(ugh).i have a soss mag with a tiny snippet about the dizzy conversion...i smell a trip to pick+pull.

28. I've explained this before.

The advance is printed on the tag. Using the above mag as an example 480/1960/13. This shows that at 480 rpm the mag starts to advance. The advance then tops out at 13 degrees @ 1960 rpm.

Inside the mag you have a pair of advance plates. By changing these is how you change the advance specs. Due to the plates being deep inside the mag it is complicated job to change them.

29. Yes, but you'll have to put it on the list with the crank drilling article. Still need to unpack the box they're in. :eek:

I had thought about doing one since the Alexander has dual plugs, but, other than the WOW factor, question the results. Dropping the Wico or Mallory in would be simpler, and I think looks better (fewer wires).
    Now if you could run one off the front and split the wire bundles....hhmmmm.

30. heyitsnate

heyitsnate

which do you prefer for the sidecover,inspection cover,front timing cover,etc...also anybody ever try the rubber o-ring that replaces the rope crankshaft seal? i got one,but not sure if they work good or not...man congrats on the quickie,that's awesome..