Register now to get rid of these ads!

Will I make it?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by goodman, Feb 1, 2006.

1. goodman

goodman
    from Miami

I bought this car a year ago, and finally got a chance to pick it up. I live in Miami Florida. The car is in San Diego,CA. Yes, I could of shipped it but I wanted to drive. So my question is, If your shop or backyard is on my way back. Let me know, I might need a welder, motor, trans, or something. I will be checking this thread daily.
    Thanks, R

Attached Files:

2. Colorado Springs Colorado, have shop space and tools, storage space, and flatbed wrecker if you come this way. I'm guessing you'll take a more (warmer) southern route, though. A-1 Street Rods 719-577-4588.

3. JimSibley

JimSibley

i am not on the way(Spokane, wa) but I will say this, YOU ARE A REAL MAN to drive that far in that car. I love it!!!!

4. fordcragar

fordcragar
    from Yakima WA.

Well that should be quite a trip, I'm sure that you'll have fun. If you are going by yourself, you might invest in a AAA membership, just in case that you need a tow and have a cell phone and maybe a transmitting radio of some kind with you.

Good luck!

5. Muttley

Muttley

When that car first showed up on the HAMB there were some umm.....err....."issues" with it's construction.:eek: :eek: If those were not addressed you would be lucky to make it out of California.:eek:

6. dirthawker1313

dirthawker1313

i know it will make it to vegas as i saw it at VIVA last year.

7. Irish Dan

Irish Dan

You ARE a trooper, Dude! I mean like you really have the spirit!...the pioneer spirit, that is! Good Luck! I've taken many a long distance trip, & thoroughly enjoyed every one! ADVICE: LEARN you ride! Develop a relationship with it; learn it's limits; what it will & won't do; Be careful; It'll all fall into place, but you absolutely MUST play safe with that ride! By the way, it's REAL cool!

8. REJ

REJ
    from FLA

Good Luck!
    I plan on making the same trip in June, bringing back a 51 Henry J. I will probably post the trip when I start.

9. 48fordnut

48fordnut
    Member Emeritus

Yeah, you will make it. Most of the time cars like yours are built solid, from the ones I have seen. take a small tool kit with you. the road side service, cell phone, and radio are good .I would probably find a fisherman friend and borrow his GPS. :cool:

10. Thirtycoup

Thirtycoup

you better have a camera with you!!! best of luck on the trip man, you'll make it, that's what hotrod'n is all about - DRIVIN' 'EM !!!! please keep us posted on your progress, thanks, mike

11. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

I think you'll make it back home...on a stretcher!
    That 'thing' will beat the shit out of you! Can't compare driving something like that 20 miles to an event, to driving across the country!
    Even if it does make it, mechanically( which I highly doubt!), it'll probably fall apart when you hit your driveway. Ever hear of 'potholes'?

12. atch

atch

looks like most of what you've got so far are naysayers telling you all the bad stuff that's gonna happen to you. well, i've got no opinion about all that 'cept to say that life should be an adventure; do it. trips like this one usually make for the best stories later on.

BUT, i'm right off of I-70 in the middle of misouri. if you decide to come this far north pm me and i'll give you directions, cell phone #, etc.

if ya go to nsra stuff and have a fellow pages you might oughtta take it along. borrow one if you don't have one. that's a good idea even if you're drivin' a brand new cadillac. (edit) oh, i mean the hamb helper pages. yeah, the hamb helper pages.

13. LUX BLUE

LUX BLUE
    Alliance Vendor
    from AUSTIN,TX

Crushproof in Austin,Texas (mere moments away from 35,290,10,and 183.)
    more than happy to help, or come by and stand up for a while.
    I would,however reccomend a kidney belt.aside from that, it looks like a damn good time to me!

14. goodman,
    That is one of my radical favourites you've got there ! Good luck with the trip and yes, please bring a camera. Would be fun if you were able to log on to THE HAMB during your trip, keeping us all posted with pics and the story.
    Sparewheel, cooler and tools on the roof rack, eehh !?

/ primerkid

15. Rusty

Rusty

Dallas Texas

The Dirtys will have anything you need if you have problems.

16. Yo Baby

Yo Baby

Tim Gilbreth in Duncan Ok. have a trailer and plenty of assc.in OKC.
    Be thou not afraid,"Gun it LUTHER!",and have a ball;) .
    I just love a good road trip.Be sure and take plenty of pics for us voyeurs.

17. If you come through KC ( I can't imagine why you would) the crowd here can fix you up.
    PM'd my numbers.

Hey isn't that the car that usually has a Surf Broad (sic) strapped to the roof?

18. Mike

Mike

If you have any trouble near Phoenix, give me a hollar. I'll send you a PM with my info.

19. oldcarfart

oldcarfart

screw AAA I have been snubbed by too many of their wrecker drivers, try GOOD SAM's CLUB, no RV needed and they will haul bikes, cars, trailers, etc. for one price unlike AAA which keeps adding price and then won't tow shit.

20. oldcarfart

oldcarfart

Jacksonville, Florida cell@ 904-708-8296

21. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

if anything, by the end of the run you will know a whole lot more about your car. Take a cell phone, duct tape and bailing wire.

The best small tool kit i have found is a 50 cal. ammo can. easy to hold on to, and if it happens to fall out of a moving vehicle at high speed, it won't pop open and send your tools every where (even if another car hits it).

Go over the car after you get there and try and id as many of the nut and bolt sizes and back your kit accordingly (why take a 7/8 end wrench, if the largest bolt is 3/4"?)

Adjustable spanners are always nice in a variety of sins and can get you out of odball spots.

22. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

Dallas / Fort Worth TX

(I'm more "west side" while the Dirtys are more "east side")

Cell - 817.287.8766
    Danny

23. I might see you on I10 on my way to California this weekend. =)

24. Flathead Youngin'

Flathead Youngin'

more power to ya...

i couldn't drive that car (too fat and too tall) but if i could i would.....i think it looks cool....

i'm in ohio, so i can't help....

you need a copy of the hamb helper pages.....

25. Make sure you stop in orlando on your back so we can check out your new ride before you head south.

26. dixiedog

dixiedog

OCF lives one block over from me and we are a couple miles from I 95 & I 295 interchange south Jacksonville. My cell PM me

27. Mootz

Mootz

This is the man that bought my '57 and drove it from NW Missouri to Miami, he'll be fine :D. Do you still have my number?

Mootz

28. goodman

goodman
    from Miami

Thanks for all the support. I will be getting into San Diego at about 3pm. Please let me know if there are any shops in that area. I'd like to have a good look at it.
    Thanks again, R

29. Roothawg

Roothawg

Oklahoma City,OK
    405-317-0993

30. Clark

Clark

Good luck!! Driving it is cool as hell!
    See you in Daytona next year!
    Clark