Welcome to the THE H.A.M.B. forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   THE H.A.M.B. > General Discussion > The Hokey Ass Message Board

Old 01-26-2006, 09:56 PM   #1
Groucho
BANNED

Location: 300 feet West of Burbank, SoCal-Near Burbank Airport
Default Sore eyes from welding-help?

Finishing the exhaust on the Gasser had me doing a bunch of stitches without a hood. Any way NOT to feel like there's sand in my eyes in the middle of the nite?
offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 09:58 PM   #2
old beet
Old School HAMBer

Default Re: Sore eyes from welding-help?

No!....I'd like to know also.........OLDBEET
Old 01-26-2006, 09:59 PM   #3
socal_wrench
Grenade Inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groucho
Finishing the exhaust on the Gasser had me doing a bunch of stitches without a hood. Any way NOT to feel like there's sand in my eyes in the middle of the nite?

Cut potatoes and put the white part over your eyes.

It worked when I fried my face.

Rather see my sister in a Whore House.....Than my Brother in a honda...................OLDBEET
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 01-26-2006, 10:00 PM   #4
oil*can*harry

No.
Although I have heard of people laying wet tea bags on their eyes. I had "flash" once and didn't get any sleep that night. It hurts.
Old 01-26-2006, 10:01 PM   #5
carkiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by old beet
No!....I'd like to know also.........OLDBEET
Cut up a potato, like hash browns. Put on your eyes (eyes closed) It turns the potato brown and gets rid of the sand fairy. Works have done it several times
Old 01-26-2006, 10:02 PM   #6
sgtmcd42

I went to the doctor and he gave me some eye drops. They had a numbing agent in them. a couple of days later all was better.

Old 01-26-2006, 10:03 PM   #7
cheaterslick

Oooohh, shit, watch that. I did it BAD, I have a small black spot that floats around where I'm looking now, it's been 5 years. Keep your eyes still and wait it out. Eyes heal fast, if the're going to that is. For what it's worth, I've had it from someone else welding BESIDE me, almost behind. Any little bit can do it.
Old 01-26-2006, 10:05 PM   #8
Big Dad
Old School HAMBer

Quote:
That really hurts .. Go to doc get drops , they'll give you pain pills too
it takes 24-40 hours to go away
Old 01-26-2006, 10:05 PM   #9
Flatman

Arc burns are serious man! Your eyes get scarred on the cornea and your vision can be PERMANENTLY damaged. Try the tea bags or some Visine to relieve the pain. Hope you get to sleep...

Seriously, always use the hood.

Flatman
Old 01-26-2006, 10:06 PM   #10
adjustablejohnsons
Old School HAMBer

Location: I bounce around. SouThe Villages, FL..Key West..New Orleans.

Quote:
My brother's wife is an emergency room nurse. She told me they see this every night (we're in an oil producing area. I'll ask her what they prescribe. Meanwhile, I would..

Take a benedryl (to sleep).
Old 01-26-2006, 10:07 PM   #11
Fry

like earlier described tea bags work well. I just wet one and stick it over the bad eye or eyes and wrap it with a towel, works pretty quick and I always found I was able to sleep after I did it and by the time I woke they were better.
Old 01-26-2006, 10:12 PM   #12
oil*can*harry

When you get "welder's flash", the arc causes tiny water blisters to form on your eye balls. It's just a matter of time for them to shrink. Whether anything works, other than a numbing agaent, I don't know.
Old 01-26-2006, 10:15 PM   #13
Tetanus Shot

ouch, that shit is the worst, i know the potato thing works for alot of people. staring at a computer screen isnt going to help either.
Old 01-26-2006, 10:15 PM   #14
HemiRambler
Old School HAMBer

That's a BITCH - this summer I got something in my eye - under the truck - went to emergency - they couldn't see anything (niether could my wife or me) they gave me some drops - they worked GREAT, but lasted about 15 minutes - gave me a precsription for more drops - wife drove me directly to the pharmacy (had to go to 3) the drops didn't work for shit - felt like sand in my eye all night long. Moral of the story - wear eye protection -and of all people I ought to know better - told myself no big deal I wasn't even wrenching - truck on jackstands - just rolled under it on the creeper for 10 seconds - never even touched anything!

Didn't matter - I wasn't careful and paid a small price to remind me how stupid I was. No offense intended but I hope you learn a valuable lesson - your eyesight is too precious to do stupid stuff - leave that to the dorks on TV!!!!!

I feel for ya - I really do. Wish I had a solution - other than hindsight.

Quote:
Old 01-26-2006, 10:17 PM   #15
boharris41301
FNG

I really hate to hear that. I did the same thing 2 weeks ago. That was the first for me and hope it was the last. 90 percent of it hit about 3am. I tryed the slicing the potato thing and didn;t have alot of luck. ONe huy told me i was supposed to sqeeze the juice from the potato and put that in your eye. That night i would have been more than happy do try anything. THe doc gave me some eye drops the next day for infection and ease the pain. Anyway, i would definetly take some strong pain medicine before bed.
that is just my thoughts, gets me down just thinking about it.
good luck
Old 01-26-2006, 10:21 PM   #16
BigChief

Quote:

Harbour Freight has auto dimming hoods with variable tint glass (#9 thru #16 if my memory serves me right) for less than 100 bucks.

100 bucks on a cheap helmet is a much better deal than damaged eyesight. I know there are times when incidental arc burns may occur when spending time in a welding shop but, really, there's no excuse for working without a welding helmet.

-Bigchief.
Old 01-26-2006, 10:23 PM   #17
Gumpa

Thumbs up Re: Sore eyes from welding-help?

Quote:
Originally Posted by boharris41301
I really hate to hear that. I did the same thing 2 weeks ago. That was the first for me and hope it was the last. 90 percent of it hit about 3am. I tryed the slicing the potato thing and didn;t have alot of luck. ONe huy told me i was supposed to sqeeze the juice from the potato and put that in your eye. That night i would have been more than happy do try anything. THe doc gave me some eye drops the next day for infection and ease the pain. Anyway, i would definetly take some strong pain medicine before bed.
that is just my thoughts, gets me down just thinking about it.
good luck
Hi When I have been in your shoes my wife puts milk in my eyes with and I dropper every hour or so and it really cools it down fast. It also gets the sandpaper feeling to go away. Gumpa
Old 01-26-2006, 10:38 PM   #18
FuelRoadster

As suggested,Benedryl & some normal saline drops.
Dont do it ever again man,,I got flashed pretty bad in the late 80s,& I attribute my eyes going south because of it.I'm 48.
Old 01-26-2006, 10:41 PM   #19
sliderule67
Grenade Inspector

Some of you guys are creeping me out; like this is commonplace for you. I've spent over 60 years peering at the world with one headlight, courtesy of a congenital problem. Bottom line is please, for God's sake, wear your Personal Protection Equipment. I've known two guys that lost sight in one eye due to accidents, and they both suffered severe emotional problems as a result. End of sermon.

Don't wind up in the Loser's Gumbo...............
Old 01-26-2006, 10:46 PM   #20
Montechris

Quick question: when you are gas welding, do you only need a mask when holding the flame to the metal, or all the time? I am about to start gas welding and was wondering if you need googles when you adjust the flame.

Thanks,
Chris