Welcome to the THE H.A.M.B. forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   THE H.A.M.B. > General Discussion > The Hokey Ass Message Board

Old 01-22-2006, 08:22 PM   #1
Kevin Lee
Super Moderator

Default What does a burned exhaust valve look like?

I know you can read spark plugs. Wondering if there's a similar technique for valves?

Popped the heads on my flathead and noticed the exhaust valve in #1 looked grey. Basically a sort of "fogged" greyish white around the outside of the valve. I've heard before how the no. 1 cylinder sometimes runs lean and in turn gets hot, causes problems with soft header bolts, etc.

It doesn't really look like it's in bad shape - but definitiely looks different than the other fifteen.
Old 01-22-2006, 08:25 PM   #2
squirrel
Old School HAMBer

Default Re: What does a burned exhaust valve look like?

A burned valve has a notch or flat spot at the face (the part that contacts the seat), so it does not contact the seat at the burned part.
online   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2006, 08:25 PM   #3
Tman
Old School HAMBer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimlok
I know you can read spark plugs. Wondering if there's a similar technique for valves?

Popped the heads on my flathead and noticed the exhaust valve in #1 looked grey. Basically a sort of "fogged" greyish white around the outside of the valve. I've heard before how the no. 1 cylinder sometimes runs lean and in turn gets hot, causes problems with soft header bolts, etc.

It doesn't really look like it's in bad shape - but definitiely looks different than the other fifteen.
Any degradation or pitting of the seat area?
Old 01-22-2006, 08:26 PM   #4
squirrel
Old School HAMBer

heres one I found with google image search....

Old 01-22-2006, 08:31 PM   #5
Steve Ray

Quote:

The valves in my Alfa Romeo motor actually turned black-they had a charred appearance and one was cracked with a chunk missing. Yeah they looked like the picture.

I did see a set of burnt flathead valves once-similar appearance and the edges were crumbled away. A burned valve will eventually lose big chunks so if you have any doubt replace it.
offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2006, 09:07 PM   #6
squirrel
Old School HAMBer

Quote:

Sounds like no 1 is running properly, and the other 7 cylinders are running a tad rich.

Normally the exhaust valves will be white, grey, or tan, if the fuel mixture is right and the engine isn't burning a lot of oil.
Old 01-22-2006, 09:07 PM   #7
51 MERC-CT

Here's a really bad one out of a flathead.

offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2006, 09:16 PM   #8
Kevin Lee
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by squirrel
Sounds like no 1 is running properly, and the other 7 cylinders are running a tad rich.

Normally the exhaust valves will be white, grey, or tan, if the fuel mixture is right and the engine isn't burning a lot of oil.
I can live with this explanation. The rest of the cylinders did have a pretty heavy carbon buildup. I'll try to get pictures later.
Old 01-23-2006, 11:54 AM   #9
Bruce Lancaster
Alliance Member

Also might just have lots of pitting on seat without any big area gone.