Register now to get rid of these ads!

Question About 270 ci Dodge Poly

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by old-dodger, Jan 16, 2006.

1. old-dodger

old-dodger

I used to have a 1956 270 ci Dodge Poly in a 1947 Dodge WD-21. I removed it to clean up the frame and explore other engine options. While it was in storage it must have sprouted legs and walked off. What is the availability of these engines, how much do they generally cost and what are the performance part options ( Im thinking of trying to buy/build a replacement). The 1960's polys (as far as I can tell) were called an A or LA block? The heads on the '56 Poly that I had, appeared to be alot different than the newer poly engines. Can any of you friends out there help me?

2. Hyfire

Hyfire

There you go... This section looks better...

The 1956 Dodge motor is the small hemi block that Dodge used with a cheaper Poly setup for cost savings. Performance parts are out there but are $$$. Plymouth started using the same block for 1955 and then sold these Poly motors side by side with the completely differant Poly-A motors starting with the 1956 Fury. Then around 1964 yet another Poly-LA motor was brought out... Not very many parts from your engine will do anything for either of the two newer polys, but you can use a bunch of early Red-Ram Hemi parts
    All of these are very cool Mopar engines... They dont put out the power of the big late 1950's and early 60s motors but they are rock solid and easy to work on. You are right.. The valve covers are VERY cool. The intakes are pretty impressive as well... I have seen a couple people on the HAMB pick up these motors for projects lately.

Hyfire

3. pimpin paint

pimpin paint
    from so cal

Hey,

These are great motors, as far as workhorses go, great to look at too.
    I've seen these sell for a buck-buck and a half in bone yards that don't
    know what they are. I think the last design poly came out in1960, but I
    don't think they were called LAs. The LA motor came out in '67 and isn't
    a poly head design.

4. Hyfire

Hyfire

The Poly-A was from 1956-1966
    The LA was from 1964 on...

They did overlap becuase of differant product lines.... But the above years should be correct.

Hyfire

5. Hyfire

Hyfire

This will work on your 270....

6. Hyfire

Hyfire

This style is the 1956 Poly A style and will NOT work on yours.
    This is the easiest way to visually tell the early Poly motors...

7. Hyfire

Hyfire