Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 94 - 2100 - 2110 carbs: increasing fuel pressure capability?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Hemi Joel, Apr 24, 2014.

1. Hemi Joel

Hemi Joel
    from Minnesota

I have read that these carbs will flood if they get more than about 3 PSI fuel pressure. Has any one come up with a method to improve upon that? maybe a better needle and seat or something?

Also, I noticed that the 2110 carbs have a circular venturi booster. Is this an improvement over the straight tube in the 94's and the 2100's? Perhaps providing better fuel metering at low vacuum levels or something?

Thanks, Joel

2. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

I hate to ask the obvious, but why not run a pressure regulator and dial them in to the pressure they work best with? Trying to up the pressure capabilities of the carb seems like a lot of reverse engineering.

3. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Within the confines of an existing carburetor, getting more tolerance of pressure would involve adding bouyancy to the float or shrinking the size of inlet hole over needle...possibly getting it too small for flow. Getting the thing to resist more pressure will have zero functional benefit...why not get a proper fuel pump or a good quality regulator?

4. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

I recently read in an Edelbrock thread here on the HAMB about marine needle valves for Edelbrock carbs that are spring loaded. Apparently the off-road guys also use them to keep the fuel sloshing around from opening the needles. By the way, Edelbrocks are happiest with just 5lbs pressure, just a touch more than 94s and 97s.

Perhaps they could be retrofitted to 94s and Strombergs, but as stated above, why would anyone need to create more fuel pressure than necessary?

5. Hemi Joel

Hemi Joel
    from Minnesota

Thanks for the replies.
    The reason that I asked is that 3 psi max seems like it leaves such a narrow window between too low and too high. + or - 1/2 psi is a hard target to hit considering the imprecision in pumps, gauges and regulators. Perhaps that is why we see so many of these with fuel leaking?

6. Mat Thrasher

Mat Thrasher

I wouldn't worry about. I only run 3 psi on my rochesters and I've never had an issue. When I first got my truck running I tried setting it higher and all it did was cause it flood out. Since I set them at 3 psi I haven't issues. Even now with them sitting on top of a blower I haven't had problems running out of fuel. And it uses a lot of it!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

7. Hemi Joel

Hemi Joel
    from Minnesota

Good info, thanks!