Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Carb Advice

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by King Karl, Apr 17, 2014.

1. King Karl

King Karl
    from N.C.

I'm in need of some expert advice... (Or as close as you can get) lol

Been looking for a pair of BXOV-2 carbs for a while now to go on a mild 261 Inline 6.
    I haven't been able to find a pair in my price range so now looking into other options.

Picked up a Carter W-1 at the Charlotte swap meet a couple weeks ago. It's one of the 684s off of a 1949 model Chevy, and from what it says on the Carburetor Shop website this is the most expensive Carter to rebuild. (I'd still need to find another one to match also)

One of our fellow Hamb members has offered up a Stromberg BXVD-3 carb for the cause as well.
    I have read in one of the threads here that this carb is comparable to the BXOV2 carbs that I originally wanted. Can someone shed some light on this and confirm?
    If they are comparable to the BXOV-2, which version would be good for a dual carb setup on this 261? I know this particular one has 1 7/32 stamped in the circle on the side of it but don't have the numbers off of the bowl yet.

I've looked into the progressive 2 barrels from Tom Langdon and would rather stay with the dual one barrels.

Thanks for any advice.
    KK

2. 50John

50John
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I don't know what you have done to your 261 but I have a healthy 261 that I've been running two 97's on. They are using a progressive linkage and have worked fine for years. Not the one barrels but you can buy them new, parts are readily available and they are period correct. I'm normaly not a fan of carb adapters but don't think they end up looking so bad in this application.

3. carbking

carbking

4. King Karl

King Karl
    from N.C.

Thank you for the replies so far.
    John, I had thought about using 97's but I don't think this engine will be stout enough to support them. Not together yet but planning out an engine with good compromise of power & fuel economy.

Jon, I had actually planned on contacting you Monday for some advice. Could you recommend any of the BXVD-3's for this application?
    If not a good choice, would the W-1 be the ones to have?

Thanks again.
    KK

5. carbking

carbking

KK - give me a call, and we can discuss it.

Jon.