Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 1930 four banger spuddering!!!

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by leroux, Apr 16, 2014.

1. leroux

leroux
    from SoCAl

So my new build, hopped up 4 banger in a 1930 5 window coupe. Running a 5 speed in it with duel 81's. Stock fuel tank...
    So as I run the coupe out through 3 rd and into 4 th is starts to spudder. Like not enough fuel in the duel 81s. No fuel pump and stock tank. Think it's not getting enough? Couldn't hurt to put a pump...
    Your thoughts

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

2. 4bangertroy

4bangertroy
    from Phoenix

Sounds like its running out of fuel in the carbs. Probably need a fuel pump. What are you running for a fuel filter?

3. JohnEvans

JohnEvans
    from Phoenix AZ

Yep lack of fuel. Stock carb was a updraft mounted low,now you have 2 downdrafts mounted high. Not enough fuel head to force enough fuel to do the job. Pump time!

4. leroux

leroux
    from SoCAl

That's what I was thinking. Troy. I contacted you awhile ago about your car. Well mines done once I fix the fuel issue. Check the build thread

5. colinsmithson

colinsmithson

I also run twin 81s I needed a fuel pump to feed them
    Colin

Attached Files:

6. colinsmithson

colinsmithson

You may also want to check your power valves mine came in a fraction early and rich
    most noticeable in top gear

7. 64crump

64crump
    from Alta Loma

Hey, your steering is on the wrong side.

I have been fighting gravity feed for almost a year. Ok till your down a 1/4 tank. I would like to see some of your plumbing options with the pump. Also may need a pressure regulator or real low volume pump, only about 3psi

8. laurel&hardly

laurel&hardly
    from minnesota

Hi from the states. Jumping in here because of the picture. I am new owner of a 30 coupe and like the banger idea though I have a 8ba id thought of using. My hopes are to start with another frame, building on it while driving the coupe for awhile. Open to suggestions and experiences with the four cylinders.? Thanks,
    L&H

9. type on "banger" in the search at the top
    every month there is a thread dedicated to the flatty 4
    tk

10. laurel&hardly

laurel&hardly
    from minnesota

Thanks, there is a lot of stuff to sift through on here.

11. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

An old style solution would be a dash mounted air pump to pressurize the tank and feed those duals throughout the power range.

12. RainierHooker

RainierHooker
    from Tacoma, WA

Lots of ways to skin that cat, but there's no two ways about it, you need a pump. I'm going through the same dilema now, although I'm running a single 48. Strombergs like 2.5 PSI give or take.

I'm currently in the middle of plumbing mine. I got a Carter P60504, sold through NAPA. It is highly recommended on the Ford Barn, as, while sold as a 12v, it puts out exactly 2.5 PSI on 6 volts. Mine will tuck up between the tank and upper firewall, out of sight, using hard lines.

I'll check in here and post pics when I get it done tonight...

13. RainierHooker

RainierHooker
    from Tacoma, WA

As promised, here's a pic of my solution:

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1397865219.649874.jpg

Perhaps it is not the most elegant solution, but it is all under the dash and uses the stock tank and firewall ports.

The line from the shutoff in the tank goes into a filter (the smallest 40-micron one I could find at my local parts house), loops around to the Carter pump (behind the filter in the pic), then loops back around to go out the firewall and into the stock sediment bowl.

It isn't really noticeable at all, but I plan on covering up the chrome on the filter with friction tape to make sure you don't notice it right away from outside.

Posted using my Lil' Orphan Annie Secret Society Decoder Pin

14. Wildfire

Wildfire

An electric fuel pump for an early 80's honda civic works perfectly as well.

Look for Airtex E8055.
    min pressure is 2.0
    max pressure is 3.0
    internally regulated

Been running one on my banger with a single 97 for 5 years.