Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 51 Ford Woody tires sizes, need some thoughts on tires.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rob-redm, Apr 16, 2014.

1. so I'm wondering on the 51 Woody I just bought.. my 49 Ford Coupe I ran 6.70 x 15 Firestones. The wagons spare tire is a old Allstate 7.10 x 15... Which makes sense , being a wagon heavier ride... I would like to have a rubber rake maybe 7.10 rear and 6.70 front... on the o.g. painted rims.. with caps and 60's cool with 15" Chromes( radials for the long drives 205/75-15 fronts and 215/75-15 rears... would like your guys ideas...Thanks Rob :D

2. Anyone ? Calling out !

3. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I put 185/75R15's on the front of my '51 Club coupe and 225/75R15's on the rear. I used the stock wheels on the front and some later Ford wheels that were 1/2" wider on the back. The rears rubbed slightly, so I trimmed the inside fender lip. I hated to do it, but I already had the tires mounted and ready to go and got impatient. I like the look fine; (there are before and after pictures in one of my albums, so you can check them out if you want). If I were do it again, I would probably use 215R15's on stock wheels on the rear.

Oh, I should have added; when I did the tire change, I also pulled the rear shackles down and put in a set of Aerostar front springs.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2014
  4. Thank you ! Looking for bias ply size..had 6.70 x 15 Firestone Deluxe Champions on my 49 business coupé.
    Does the wagon need a 7.10 x 15 ...going to drop it some with Fatman spindles. Then blocks out back. Not sure what size blocks. Nice rake, not crazy low.

5. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Unless the front end needs rebuilding, I'd skip the spindles and try the Aerostar springs first. They dropped mine enough for me (I don't like 'em crazy low either), and I haven't had any bad side effects. $58.00 for the springs, $7.00 for new isolators, $6.00 for new sway bar bushings and a $65.00 alignment did the trick.

I think I'm going to put in some 2" blocks next. I want to preserve a little rake.

6. Had a woody about 30 yrs ago with chrome reverse but can't remember what tire sise on that one. My current 50 coupe is running 225-75/15 www on all 4 corners. Aerostar spring, 3 inch drop in rear.

7. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

I think the tires size you are thinking is not bad, maybe even on size bigger in the back than the 7.10. its a hotrod surf woodie right. give it a rubber rake with some lowering.

8. F-head

F-head

I think Boones is right
    The woody has heavier duty stuff than a regular 51 ford(dana44) ect
    So the larger size makes sense
    670 and 750?
    Sounds right
    I was gonna put G78 and H or L 78
    On mine
    B

9. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

10. Thanks Boones, Great pics... I even saw the White Model A Woody that the the guy I bought my 51 from owned ...

So I'm sure, it's going to get spindles, just don't want to do the spring thing... going to buy Chromes for sure with ribbon whites. Then the stock rims are getting Firestones for around town. To bad I didn't have this woody while at Portland Swap.. could have checked some tires ... 6.70 x 15 up front ? and 7.10 x 15 out back ? The spare has a 7.10 on it... HMMM :D

11. so placed a ordered with Coker today...670 x 15, 710 x 15... will see what these look like on the car... should see them in about 5 days !

12. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

cool, should be a good choice. I am so jealous on your find. would not mind that white A either but another real woodie is down the road. I have to concentrate on my tin woodie project.

13. I'll post some pictures when the tires are mounted up..

14. hupster

hupster
    from california

I'm using 205r75X15's on the front and 215r75x15's on the rear of this car.

Attached Files:

15. Nice ride, mine won't be that low...but that is the radial size for the chrome reverse rims...for a 60s look

16. hupster

hupster
    from california

that car is on air. Ride height is a couple inches higher. I'm doing another shoebox woodie that will be pretty low, but without air ride.

17. I'm going to drop this one with spindles for sure, and blocks out back ...Nothing to crazy just a nice stance :D

18. hupster

hupster
    from california

I did a major build thread on here for the green car, but I haven't posted much on the current project as it would probably draw annoying comments about modern drivetrain, etc. For new car I'm using a 2011 Camaro SS LS3/L99 and 6L80E with an Art Morrison chassis.

19. checked out your first build ,wow....second build sounds really cool !

20. Tire came today ! Stoked!

21. stoker

stoker

I have P215/75R15 tires on my 51 woody on stock wheels they feel good to me even on the freeway

22. 215/75-15 rears for sure, going to drop the front some, maybe 205/70-15 on the fronts with chrome reverse rims(60's look ribbon white) installed my Firestone's yesterday.