Register now to get rid of these ads!

*NEW* The Monthly Virtual Banger Meet.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Enbloc, Jan 11, 2006.

1. Reading Fur Biscuits post ( http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=87365&highlight=banger ) on having a Banger meet got me thinking. Its a great idea, if alittle biased towards our West Coast friends. Remember were a pretty spread out bunch with memebers in the Uk, Austrailia, New Zealand, Sweden, Switzerland and right across the States.

Why can we not have a virtual meet on here every month, to shoot the Banger ball in one post?

I'm thinking along the lines of the The Friday Art post and Model Sundays. Just show what you've got and what you've been up too. The only difference is it will be once a month as I don't think there is enough happening to justify a weekly post, un-less you think otherwise?

I know alot of you have new stuff,

Artiki has a New Zealand Quick-change.
    MonkeyBiker has started building an T 'n' A.
    SUHRsc has just got an old Banger Hot Rod.
    OutBack has got pics of his ride on here.
    Like to see more on Them! bellytank.

There just the ones of the top of my head, I know theres much more.

To get things rolling heres my most recent acquisition, BIG valves!

I got mine from Piranios in Texas ( www.modelaparts.net ). I ordered the complete modern valve kit with the larger (1.7") inlets. I got one piece cast iron guides, 8 modern style valves, heavy duty spring retainers and locking collets. The valve seats were not in the kit. Piranios supply these so I ordered them.

I can highly recommend these, they are top quality. Piranios also supplied a very good service.

[​IMG]

The exhaust valves come as they come. The large inlets have had some work already done to them as can be seen on the back of the valve head.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Any opinions? Whould you have done it differently? Different supplier? Would you have used modified Chevy valves?

Any other news you want to share, however small?

2. Is it like flogging a dead horse with this idea?

3. warbozz

warbozz

Anything banger related is good for me! My '30 coupe is still all stock, just need to get it running again this spring (it's not been started since October 1980). I got the gas tank cleaned out last year. My dad restored the car in 1962, and drove it regularly for about 18 years, so it has some 'character', kind of like a cherry 'A'-bone in the '50's would have looked. If I stay with the flathead, I'd definitely go with those big stainless valves to open up the breathing a bit. The stock valves really seem to limit extra horsepower above 7:1 compression. And I would use the purpose-made Model A ones, they will definitely have long enough stems, and the valve itself is a bit wider than most, I think the Chevy is a 1.6" piece (but I'm not real up on those 'brand-x' cars).

4. That sounds great Warbozz, this is kind me stuff I wanted to see posted.

Any pictures?

5. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

Is anything with four-cylinders and HAMB-style a go here, or is this limited to '30s type bangers? Not that I have anything 'banger powered, but I was just wondering if someone with say a Pinto 2.3L or Chevy II-powered ride could post up here too.

The inline six guys are militant already, I'm glad to see you four-popper dudes banding together.

6. Mmmm, good question.

I just assumed the A/B stuff and maybe some early Chevy 4 stuff. Can't see why it shouldn't be all 4 banger stuff though.
    There has been some interesting stuff tech with making manifolds for the Iron Dukes and stuff.

Anybody else?

7. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

sounds interesting, but i am down for the most part with any vintage 4 holer's (specially since i have a T...)

i think that if you traditionally hop up a pinto motor (might draw the line at a 4bbl and an HEI) but if you came up with something different that would be awesome.

8. FeO2

FeO2

This sounds like a Great idea! I'm working on a budget banger builtup for my 31' tudoor and I also have a B motor in the shop for an insert bearing treatment. I just got a digital camera but I'm not sure if I'm too dumb to load pics! I shall make an honest effort though......

9. buschandbusch

buschandbusch
    from Reno, NV

there's a new four ever four guy here- my a-bone is all stock/original. Only change has been the headlights at some point in the sixties. But I gotta get some more juice outta this thing. Everything works, but poorly. Just added a float a motor mount cause somebody reassembled it without the lower mount plate or springs and the crank was hitting the crossmember! Plans include Single stromberg 97, 12 volts, header manifold, high comp head and down the road a balanced crank, lightened flywheel, serpentine belt and maybe an oil filter if I find one that will work with the manifolds.

10. Sounds like a fantastic idea! I like that set of valves that you have there, I have looked into that myself. Unfortunately I had to sell my T roadster project but I still have my pick up which we will fire up again tonight. We are also gathering parts for a four banger dragster.

11. Artiki

Artiki
    from Brum...

Here's my QC from Kiwi QC's in New Zealand that 4ever4 mentioned. I'm making some space to swing the A around this weekend so I can whip the axle out and get started. Looking forward to it....kinda.

[​IMG]

Those valves look pretty decent, Clark. Have you got your block apart yet?
    I really wish I'd had mine done at the same time as everything else, but once the money has dried up there's not a lot you can do. :(

I'll be taking plenty of photos of the rear end as it progresses.

12. "those inline six guys are militant already"....

We are not! Anyone who says things like that about us will be lined up against a wall and shot at dawn!

13. triplexkustoms

triplexkustoms

i'm trying to hop up my banger even more. i have a 29 coupe with the roof cut off on a 31 frame. it has a 31 block with a 33 (c) crank in it. it also has a high compression head and a mystery grind on the cam. i am going to upgrade to snyders modern internals distributor. i am also going to go to 12 volt and do a custom intake and exhaust. there is a crappy pic of my car in my profile.

14. Alot of interest so far, thats great.

There seems to be alot of new guys with 4's.

Anymore detail shots of that quickie darren?

15. I dont have a banger yet, but since I've been on the Hamb I've aquired an interest in them, and My next project when I finish my driver flattie six will likely be banger powered. This idea is great, I'm soaking up all this knowledge like a sponge.

16. Artiki

Artiki
    from Brum...

Nah...that's the only one I took when it came. I'll get a few more at the weekend.

17. How much for the dead horse?
    So - my plans to get some T n' A? Or, how one car becomes two.
    It goes like this - first, the donor vehicle. Here is my 1927 English Tudor sedan. The more observant will notice that she's infact wearing the front half of a Tourer, jigsawed together from about 10 parts.
    [​IMG]

I've recently acquired:-
    most of the rear half of another tourer in seven parts
    a rough american Tudor sedan in two parts
    an american T chassis
    the running gear from a 1928 Model A.
    Give me a couple of years, and hopefully I'll end up with these...
    (can't remember where I borrowed 'em, but thanks!)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

18. HoB

HoB
    from Sweden

Great idea...once a month , once a week , once a day can't be to much Banger talk.:D
    I just got an Winfield Alu.head and a Scintilla , found it just 1 hour from my door , feel fine to be spared from the shippingcost from US.
    Good locking valves...what about valvesprings...?

19. I'm un-decided at the moment.
    Either stock springs with a spacer or Lincoln Zephyor with a spacer or.. well I don't know if there is any other options. I'll look into more closer to the time of fitting them.

I'm iterested in your Vertex. I've got two, an early pre-war Scintilla Vertex that came from Holland that is on the car and a late post war one that came from the UK, ebay to be exact.

Whats the timing on yours?

20. HoB

HoB
    from Sweden

The tag says -> 480-0 1960-13
    That arrow is it the rotation direction? How can you see when it's made?

Attached Files:

21. Why can we not have a virtual meet on here every month, to shoot the Banger ball in one post?

Great idea!

I'm gathering stuff to build a copy of this, with this Alexander on this motor:

Attached Files:

22. The last number looks like an 8 in the picture?

The plate shows that you have 13/18 degrees advance at 1960 rpm. 0 degrees at 480 rpm and under.

The early Scintilla's had a stamped brass tag and the later ones had the printed steel one.

The easiest way to check the rotation is to watch which way the points open. Your looking for anti-clockwise rotation.

23. HoB

HoB
    from Sweden

Thanks for the info. BTW it's an 3,bad picture.

24. Magnus B

Magnus B

This idea sounds great. I'll be running at 4-banger in my 31 coupe. I have most of the speed stuff for it with a Thomas head, dual carb Riley intake with 2 Stromberg 81's. I have large valves and one piece cast iron guides. They are made by Mike Flanagan ( aka "the model A Foole") and is shaped just like the stock guide except one piece. Also I have a Winfield 3/4 race cam and adjustable tappets. I have a Scintilla magneto for it. One cool part I have scored is a low mounted water pump from an Opel. This will probably do a better job pumping the water than the stock one.

That's about it. Haven't started building it yet but it will be a B-engnine with counterweighted crank. I have a lead on a guy that can pour new bearings for me. Also there is a guy that says he can crossdrill the crank. I'll let him practice on a couple of A-cranks before he gets to try it on any of my C-cranks. But I might be getting my dirty hands on a G28T block and I already have a crank for it so if I can find a set of rods I'll use this engine. Thats about it.

I would also like to share my ideas. What I have been thinking about is the cam gear. Since a magneto is pretty heavy to run the cam gear probably will pull the camshaft due to the helical cam gear. This could cause the ignition and valve timing to vary. I have been think of getting a gear cut in a fishbone pattern (don't know what this gear type is called). That will lock the longitudinal movements. But none of the local shops seems interesten in helping me here. Anyone on the H.A.M.B that can cut these types of gears?

Another thought I have been toying around with is to change the primary reduction in the model A gear box. I think it would be possible to use gears from another model A box to get mor equally spaced gears. I don't remember which gears to use but I have mad som plans for this. This will of course require a good machinist but as I said I think it's possible.

That's all for know.

Thanks, Magnus

25. I wouldn't worry about the mag on the cam gear. Its never effected mine. If you worried about the cam moving under load why not just have the timing cover modified with an adjustable stop as per the Secrets article that I sent out alittle while ago?
    I like the idea of this mod and are planning for mine.

I'm not sure what you mean with the gearbox mods. Belcher Engineering here in UK do new gear clusters with 1st and 2nd close ratio for the 'A' box. Got 'em and they work great.

www.belcherengineering.co.uk

The Scintilla Vertex for the ford bangers seem to be so common in Europe.

26. Magnus B

Magnus B

Yeah I know about the mod one can do to the timing cover. But the fishbone typ gear would be more of a final solution. But then again as you say there might not be a problem with a moving after all.

I didn't know about Belcher Engineering. Thanks for the link. Maybe I won't need to do this myself after all. how much will a gear set cost?

Yes Scintilla mag seems very popular. I have found a bunch on swap meets and in ads, but have actually only bought 2 of them.

Thanks, Magnus

27. fordcragar

fordcragar
    from Yakima WA.

A banger meet sounds great to me. I'm running "B" motors in my 29 Pickup and 31 coupe.

One of my projects is a 29 business coupe cut down into a roadster with a "A" or "B" motor, T-5 and a QC.

28. I can't remeber exactly, but I think they were slightly more money than what a new stock gear cluster would be.

fordcrager why don't you post the pictures of your cars. I saw you posted them in your intro, but I think alot of people missed them.

29. gas4blood

gas4blood
    from Kansas

I like this idea. I have 3 bangers, a stock '12 Ford touring that runs so good I can't believe it's a T, a '26 speedster with Waukesha Ricardo head, 12 Volts, alternator, distributor ignition, and 30" Overland wire wheels. The last one is a stock '32 Ford station wagon, a real sweet runner that I plan to make more roadworthy.

30. The37Kid

The37Kid

Every FourBanger needs a Vertex!

Attached Files: