Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Lets talk Body Styles...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jive-Bomber, Mar 27, 2014.

1. Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber

2. the-rodster

the-rodster

I'd look good in a deluxe phaeton.

I've never seen a real one.

I wonder what the production numbers were?

Rich

3. the-rodster

the-rodster

Here you go, Rich....

Phaeton ..... 1930 ....... 1931

Standard ... 16,479 ..... 4,076
    Deluxe ....... 3,946 ....... 2,229

4. the-rodster

the-rodster

5. the-rodster

the-rodster

6. Take a look at Dodge in '28- Deluxe Coupe', Coupe Brougham, etc :)

7. Paul

Paul
    Editor

Roadster for sure, stripped down two seater for best horsepower to weight ratio

8. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Interesting to read Ford's description of the Phaeton, in light of all the AMBR hullabaloo:

Here, as in the new Ford Roadster, you see the straight, unbroken sweep of line that contributes so much to the beauty of all the new Ford bodies. The windshield folds flat when desired . . .

Add no roll-up windows and you have a four door roadster. Like it or not.

9. RainierHooker

RainierHooker
    from Tacoma, WA

I'll take one of each!

Okay, if I had to choose, I guess I'd take a Phaeton (I guess I'm a bit biased), a Roadster, a Victoria, and a Deluxe Sedan. You know, one for whatever weather condition and passenger manifest...

10. Squablow

Squablow

Roadster, coupe, pickup truck, station wagon, two door sedan, four door sedan, in that order.

11. looke like I have

1 of 79,000
    and
    1 of 148,000

Crazy they made that many more tudors than coupes exactly double!?

12. rockfish

rockfish

Not quite twice as many. 2 x 79,000 = 158,000. I used a calculator so I like to think I'm tough like your signature says. :D

13. It was an estimate and the numbers are

so really 68,610 more

14. I am just a coupe kind of guy, I have had convertibles but there is something about a short, round roof that is the cat's meow for me.

15. RDP

RDP
    from Kansas

Roadster, Deluxe Phaeton, Coupe, those would be my top three. But I aint picky, if anybody has one of any kind they want to give away I'll take it!

16. 08racer

08racer
    from Gilbert AZ

Roadster is the only one for me.

Id even cut the roof off a coupe.

17. RE: new cars. We have a Pontiac G6 on the lot with a retractable top...............they call it a sunroof..................wtf?

18. Xtrom

Xtrom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Forman, ND

Put me down for a phaeton.

19. I'm really happy with my Vicky!

20. The coupe has a wider seat that can accommodate three people - peoples asses must have been smaller in 1930.

21. I'm suprised at how many 2 passenger car were produced back then, roadsters and coupes. Hell, today its tough to buy a 2 (door) passenger pick-up! Could things have been that different back then? I thought every one had a bunch of kids to help out on the farm?

22. 50Fraud

50Fraud

I like the Victoria, probably because there were fewer of them than coupes or sedans.

Victorias have been a lot of different things over the years. For ford 1931-34, they were a club coupe or a bustle-back 2-door sedan; in the '50s they were a hardtop, sometimes with a glass roof; and in the '90s they were a 4-door sedan. Packard made a 4-place convertible in the '30s with no quarter windows, and called it a Victoria. I think originally it was a variety of horse-drawn carriage dating from the Victorian era.

23. 50Fraud

50Fraud

I have wondered why Ford, especially, made so many body styles during the depression, when the cost of tooling was obviously expensive. Why would they need a 3-window and a 5-window coupe in the same year? Or a Tudor sedan and a Victoria? I kinda answered my own question when it occurred to me that Ford used a lot of different vendors for their bodies during that period -- different makers for the 3W than for the 5W, for example. I'll bet that Edsel said to Budd, or Murray, or whichever vendor it was, "you can build us a different style of coupe body than those other guys, if you care to. Of course it will need to be a style that I approve of, and the tooling will be at your expense." I've never read anything to support this notion, but it makes sense to me.

24. Nick Flores

Nick Flores

Nice to see that the Cabriolet was labeled a chick car. Maybe that's why somebody channeled and threw an Olds in mine....

25. flamingokid

flamingokid

Roadster all the way.....

26. Beautiful cars, all of them. I've found my taste in cars has evolved over the years and I've moved more towards model A & T Fords. Explains our '29 Special coupe and '26 T speedster. Would trade it all for an A roadster.

The colors were a home run.

27. Roadster all the way for me....

28. Im a little biased too.. Bob and the boys at MF'ers start my build this summer!

[​IMG]

My model a list:
    1. Phaeton (room for the whole fam)
    2. Roadster
    3. Tudor
    3b. 5 window

29. Your post prompted some thoughts :
    1 frame and drive train fits all. Today's manufactures don't do it that way.
    Current year caries to next years truck - sort of.
    Many models use same body parts so actual differences and required tooling are reduced.