Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 36 Ford rear fenders. How to tell coupe from sedan?

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by flamedabone, Mar 12, 2014.

1. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm fender shoppin' for my new 5 window project. The car came with two rear fenders, but the car and the fenders are so fucked that I can't tell if the fenders actually fit the car.

Is there an easy way to tell coupe from sedan fenders and can sedan be made to fit a coupe with a bit of modification?

The car looks pretty cherry in this pic, but it is actually a colossal piece of shit.

[​IMG]

One more thing, no shiny black paint or Pontiac engine for this one. Here is a hint...

[​IMG]

Thanks, -Abone.

2. Uptown83

Uptown83

There is a way to tell by measuring from the crown to the mounting edge and I don't remember the measurement. I just read it 2-3 weeks ago here or on the barn. I would measure mine but I just mounted them a week ago. Post pics of them?

3. greener200

greener200

There is a thread over on the fordbarn as Uptown83 mentions, that goes into this a little bit, just search, 35/36 coupe rear fenders ,and it will come up mp

4. Deuce Lover

Deuce Lover

Bob Drake Reproductions is coming out with them very soon(end of April on one side and June for the other).They have a promo on a pair for less than $1K.The left rear is copied from a NOS that he bought from me.

5. falconsprint63

falconsprint63
    from Mayberry

I asked this a while back--it's probably my thread on the ford barn he's referencing above. easiest tell is one has 7 and one has 8 mounting holes--can't remember which. I'll go count on my fenders when I'm in the shop. that said I've got a set of henry 35 coupe fenders that could be bought. let me know if you want pics.

6. Sedan fenders can and have been made to fit. With the cost of crappy coupe/roadster fenders, that's not a bad option.

The easiest way to tell the difference is by the flange where the fender meets the tailpan. The coupe flange is longer and has four holes. The sedan has two. There's a big difference between the shape of '35 and '36 fenders too, but they are interchangeable.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2014
  7. falconsprint63

falconsprint63
    from Mayberry

8. Just answered this the other day.

The left one is coupe (filled tail light/filler hole and relocated) and the right one is sedan. Notice the bolt hole count. Coupe is 7 and sedan is 8.

2014-02-27 13.25.47.jpg

9. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks, guys that helps a lot. ElP, that pic is EXACTLY what I was looking for. I appreciate the help so much that I will take it easy on you the next time we line 'em up.:cool:

Thanks, -Abone.