Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features Sweet & Low

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Ryan, Feb 26, 2014.

1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

2. I wonder if Bernie ever ran skirts on it? I notice the front and rear caps don't match.

3. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

I was thinking the same thing. There's no stainless trim on the rear window, just magnify the photo and it's easy to tell.

4. froghawk

froghawk

It is kinda cool, but mismatched caps bug me and the Merc beltline trim seeems like it's in the wrong place. Needs to move forward. Fortunately we have Photoshop...

[​IMG]

Skirts might help the flow. First, the factory skirts...
    [​IMG]

Then we'll try the deeper, flared aftermarket jobs...
    [​IMG]

Maybe an eyeball section job to adjust the roof-to-body proportions and really get the flow going...
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 26, 2014

5. ynottayblock

ynottayblock

nice work froghawk, now get that front end down about 1 1/2"

6. von Dyck

von Dyck

All of the above. However, I've always preferred the Packard taillights over the Lincolns. The grill area has too much open space and would look nicer with a '54 Chev bar with additional "teeth". Nice touch on the sectioning; '52 to '54s had way too much sheet metal above the wheel arches.
    Had a '52 coupe I wanted to chop; that was 15 - 20 years ago. Did numerous photo copies (before photoshop), cut and paste, and came up with similar profiles. Even tried a forward slant on the 'B' pillar with radiused corners, but the quarter windows ended up looking like "54 Studebaker sedan quarters!
    I really think these cars are still under rated as desirable candidates for mild customs.

Met a fella at Back to the Fifties about a decade ago --- was showing a chopped '54 tudor, tastefully done. Said he chopped his windshield in a snowbank using layers of duct tape and thick cardboard, then sandblasting the excess glass away, alternating front to back etc. He had to recess his rear window to make it appear lower. Has anyone tried the sandblasting method on rear glass?

7. ynottayblock

ynottayblock

8. PunkAssGearhead88

PunkAssGearhead88
    from So Cal

9. froghawk

froghawk

Maybe a bit more than 1 1/2"?...

[​IMG]

10. Sweet & Low

Sweet & Low

Looks like the back window has been changed when the did the chop, that's not a 52 to 54 back window, they sort of a wrap around on the stock fords

11. "Bernie tried cutting and shaping a windshield to fit the gaping hole out back. Incredibly it worked"

12. flamingokid

flamingokid

Perfectamundo :)

13. Clean car. The flared skirts and front lowering make that ride damn near perfect!

14. Jay71

Jay71

Sweet & Low was the name of a mini truck club in the town I grew up in.

15. desotot

desotot

Hmm,,, maybe froghawk could change the paint to black or another dark color.

16. navyboy

navyboy