Register now to get rid of these ads!

LB's 64 Falcon ute. At least this one is a 2 door!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Liam-B, Dec 7, 2013.

1. Liam-B

Liam-B
    from Melbourne

So, I bought this to keep my 65 sedan company :

Its a 1964 XM Ford Falcon ute. (or is that Ranchero?!)

Actually been looking for ages to find a half decent early Falcon ute. It ended up being the least rusty one I could find in my search over the last 10 months. Its actually really straight, the tray is in really great shape, no dents and it looks quite good from 10 feet away Lol.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sp, it has bit of a custom look but I have toned it down a little since buying it and tried to make it a bit more hot rod. The metal gold flake is quite in your face but its kind of cool. I think I might paint the B pillar sides the same cream body color though but keep the roof as it is. Im not sure about the pin striping, its cool but a bit busy looking? The gold flake inlay on the seats is rather bright in the sun but they are one of those things the more you look at the more used to it you become. Gives it a bit of character I suppose!

It has a 69 221 pre cross flow engine, Borg Warner 35 3 speed auto with T bar floor shifter, headers, twin exhaust, later model falcon radiator with twin electric fans, stock drum brakes and stock diff. Interior has Mercury Comet metal chrome dash surround and I have swapped my steering wheel over to make it a bit more roomy in the cabin, as I am quite tall and these things are not renowned for there interior space.

It drives pretty good, better than I thought it would! ha-ha. I need to do a few more little things but for now its a good useable ute to have some fun in, plus it was already registered, That was actually the selling point as made it easy to get in my name, so pretty happy with that :)

Last edited: Dec 7, 2013
  2. motoandy

motoandy
    from MB, SC

Cool car. I agree on painting the b pillar cream. Overall really cool. Best of luck with it.

3. Liam-B

Liam-B
    from Melbourne

Cheers! Yeah, I actually painted the a and b pillars the same cream body color today, looks much better. Just got to paint the visor now and it will be sorted.

4. Liam-B

Liam-B
    from Melbourne

5. Liam-B

Liam-B
    from Melbourne

[​IMG]

Looks much better I think now, although need to do the door frames next.

6. TinShed

TinShed

That is neat, I like the ute more than a rancharo.

7. Nice ute! Although the striping appears to be pretty well executed I would vote to get rid of it as well.A lot of people ask me to stripe their dashboards and the first thing I ask them is if they have ever driven a car with a striped dash.It's kind of a rhetorical question because if you ever have driven a car with dashboard striped you know what a dtistraction it can be;especially when the sun is high in the sky.The windhield being laminated sfaety glass transmits a double image of the striping.

8. Liam-B

Liam-B
    from Melbourne

The pin striping is staying now, I actually don't mind it. Its all good in the sun, the visor helps with the reflection on the dash but I know what you mean!

9. Liam-B

Liam-B
    from Melbourne

Finally remembered to take a picture of the tray bed for you lot. Do USA Falcon Ranchero's have part wood beds?

[​IMG]

Bonus! I got the fuel gauge going today, put a new 6 volt regulator, as the old one was stuffed. Still no go, so also had to replace the gauge as it had burnt out. Its good knowing how much petrol is left, that is for sure when its only a small tank.

Also gave it a oil change ready for the cruise to Phillip island Kustom Nat's here in Victoria. Should be a big turn out, its a 3 day event but I am just going for the sat. Will have to cruise at a leisurely speed on the highways as my diff gears are really short at 4.0:1 However I just won a 2.83:1 ring and pinion to fix that though just need to install it one weekend.

Then I can get back into the sedan again. I have been neglecting it a little bit as of late getting this one sorted!

10. Liam-B

Liam-B
    from Melbourne

Took the ute to the Kustom Nats at Phillip Island here in Australia recently, was a good trip, no problems the whole journey there and back.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Cruised down with my mate in his 63 Galaxie wagon. That thing is huge!

[​IMG]

Was a great event, lots of cool cars were there at the racetrack. They actually let us out for a cruise, although most were taking it pretty easy apart from the gassers giving it bit of a squirt on the main straights haha.

Anyway, the carb was leaking a bit of fuel. I pulled it apart, gave it a big clean out and fitted a new kit through it. Seem's to be a bit better idling now as well when its hot, although the idle jet is pretty worn on the needle itself but it will do for now. At least its stopped dripping precious fuel onto the exhaust.

[​IMG]

I bought a cheap electronic distributor for it, man its made a big difference to the smoothness at higher rpm, it starts first turn of the key when cold now and I have advanced the timing up for a little more power. It goes really good now, the engine seems a lot more eager. Probably the best bang for buck mod you can do. I highly recommend one for the money, although I have put in a genuine Bosch ignition module to replace the cheap one it came with.

[​IMG]

Oh, its also got a Bosch transformer ignition coil that I had laying about, it happens to be off an old Porsche 911 Turbo haha. Not exactly traditional hot rod parts but I guess its traditional hot rodding using what old parts you have lying about in the garage!

[​IMG]

Still other things to do as expected for an old car but I can jump in and drive it anywhere for pick up duties or just cruising around in :)

11. 63Compact

63Compact

Neat Ute BTW your mates wagon is a 64

12. In amswer to your question Liam, no, U.S. Rancheros were all-steel in the bed floor. Nice looking ride, there. I noticed the sculpting in the B-pillar. At first I was thinking that to be a custom touch, but I take it that is factory, yes?

13. Liam-B

Liam-B
    from Melbourne

thanks guys, Yeah, its a factory moulding. The body is stock, apart from the badges being shaved.

14. Liam-B

Liam-B
    from Melbourne

15. NMCarNut

NMCarNut
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Nice Ute!! Judging from the last pictures it is about to come alive.

In regard to your bed question, US Falcon Ranchero beds are completely different. Our Ranchero is a 2 door wagon with the roof chopped off aft of the 'B' pillar and a bulkhead added, that's it. A large steel panel is screwed in over the rear seat and floor pan section to make a flat bed making in stock form a useless cavity.
    Looks like Ford AU had utility in mind by starting with a 4 door body, moving the gas tank forward of the rear axle, and designing a new floor pan to give not only a longer bed but also lower resulting in deeper bed sides.
    Some drawings from Ford and a picture to show ours: BedDimensionsSide.jpg
    BedDimensionsPic.jpg BedDimensions.jpg

16. Liam-B

Liam-B
    from Melbourne

Small update, well a big one really. Pictures speak for themselves! Fits in there really nicely, did not even have too many problems. Just need to sort out all the little things but getting there!

[​IMG]

Later model falcon steering box fitted up. Needed bit of a trim to the box and slight tap to the body. It fits in quite well. Had dramas with the drill bit catching the crush tube on the only hole that needed to be drilled but got it sorted in the end thankfully! The reason for fitting this steering box is its a better ratio 20:1 vs the original 27:1 and I am fitting a collapsible column shift

[​IMG]

After the steering box was bolted up, the engine and gearbox went in nicely.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Just need to sort a few things to finish it off. The starter motor I have doesn't fit and the engine cross member brace doesn't either, so have to get those this week. Lots of other small things to figure out but its all simple stuff.

loudbang and Muttley like this.
  17. Liam-B

Liam-B
    from Melbourne

So, I got it running. Finally!

Its been a hard slog, had a few headaches along the way (usual engine conversion stuff though really.) The exhaust headers have been a complete nightmare, mainly trying to make them fit with the column shifter linkages and I also struggled to find a starter that would clear everything but it least its all sorted now. Things are tight in places, that is for sure!

Off to the exhaust shop to get the open headers welded up to the existing twin exhaust mufflers.

I also took the time to get heaps of stuff working properly that was not working at all before, like the horn, speedo, handbrake, lack of stereo etc. You know, the basic stuff haha

Looking forward to a test drive to make sure everything is all ok! Will post a vid when that happens.

[​IMG]

Cooon likes this.
  18. YESSSSS !!! I love it. Nowwwwwwwww, you'll have some fun.

19. loudbang

loudbang

Looks like it came with it.

20. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Wish I had the photos but years ago I saw a similar 'ute' at Wintersun. He modified the rear panel between seat and cargo area using a windup station wagon tailgate. Worked a treat and weatherproof with drainage through lower floor pan.

Liam-B likes this.
  21. The Ute looks great,but I need a little help.

[QUOTE="Liam-B, post: 9399095, member: 182448"

Actually been looking for ages to find a half decent early Falcon ute. It ended up being the least rusty one I could find in my search over the last 10 months. Its actually really straight, the tray is in really great shape, no dents and it looks quite good from 10 feet away Lol.[/QUOTE]

What the heck is a tray?,I am not familiar with the Aussie colloquialisms. HRP

22. FalconMan

FalconMan
    from Minnesota

Nicely Done !
    I've been to Oz many times eying up the old and new Falcons. There are many similarities, but yet differences. As said above, your utes are based of the 4 doors models using the shorter doors. I love the comet dashes in them !

23. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

Tray - Bed
    Bonnet - Hood
    Guards - Fenders
    VB - Beer
    Left Hook - American steering
    Rat Shit - Leave it at the swap
    We had a great time there, and brought home a 50 Chev Ute

Liam-B likes this.
  24. Liam-B

Liam-B
    from Melbourne

Thanks for the positive comments guys,!

ok, so I picked it up from the exhaust shop this afternoon, sounds good, nice V8 burble, although it might be a bit too quiet for my liking haha. Its just barely legal at least the guy reckons.

Noticed on the way home the carb has a flat spot, need to tune that up. Its got a basically new Edelbrock 4 barrel on there and it goes well though when you drive through it and put your foot down though at least. Also needs a wheel alignment badly, will do one myself this weekend. The steering box needs adjusting, bit of free play there. Lastly, there is a small drive-line vibration at speed, I think due to the pinion angle not being inline with the trans output shaft, seeing as its lowered quite a lot. Will need to measure that with my angle indicator and get some shims into the diff perch where it meets the springs I reckon.

Small things at least, easy enough to sort out over the next few days :)

25. HOTFR8

HOTFR8

Looking very nice. I have to ask, are you still using the original ute differential ?

26. Liam-B

Liam-B
    from Melbourne

No, I'm actually using a 8 inch maverick diff. 3.0:1 ratio, cruises nice.

I plan on taking it to chopped next month, I guess you will be there?

27. HOTFR8

HOTFR8

I have Comet rear in my XP, so what you have would work well. As for Chopped I doubt it this year. To many paddock hacks and rat rods at the event and not like it was in the early days so I may not attend.

28. Liam-B

Liam-B
    from Melbourne

Yeah, that will work fine. Makes things easy when its bolt in. I used a EA Sedan driveshaft with the rear uni swapped to fit, did not even have to cut and weld anything. as for chopped, the organasiers have said all that junk will be not allowed in this year, they noticed it was getting bad and are putting a stop to it, as its not what the event is about.

29. Liam-B

Liam-B
    from Melbourne

Long time since last update!

Basically been using the ute on the odd occasion over summer, occasionally as a work horse as seen here haha. Pretty happy with it overall. Turns lots of heads, sounds great and goes well enough. Still sorting little issues as I go along but hey, its a 51 year old car!

[​IMG]

Thought I would post up the scare bird brake conversion that I did recently

https://scarebird.com/index.php?route=product/category&path=65

Its a kit from the states that lets you keep the existing stub axles. The guy supply's the part numbers for everything needed to complete the kit, so I bought a lot of the stuff from Rock Auto in the USA real cheap. Brake rotors I got here. All you get in the basic kit is the bracket and 5 stud stub axles. (He does 4 stud if you prefer.)

Lots of kits available for all kinds of old cars.

Anyway, picture time :

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

mgtstumpy and loudbang like this.