Register now to get rid of these ads!

Another Mad CARtoonist: Pete Millar

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jive-Bomber, Nov 27, 2013.

1. Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber

2. slammed

slammed

The guy had it! Time to post up some pix of his work.

3. Jeem

Jeem
    Alliance Vendor

Pete's life would make a hell of a good coffee table book. Love Pete Millar. He had STYLE.

4. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Wasn't Millar's collaborator on "CarToons" Carl Kohler? I loved both of those guys stuff in the little books. As you can see from my signature, I was particularly enamored with Carl Kohler. He was a little more "off the wall" which appealed to me in those days. His character names rival those of W.C. Fields. The one I can remember of the top of my head is "Cutup McGoody".:D

5. I thank you Jive Bomber for this...Pete was a dear friend of mine...many did not know that he was a school teacher..His cartoon of the drags with Green Valley on the post was done after he came to Texas and went to the races at Green Valley..He was a guest in my home during his stay here in Texas...I had several drawing that he made of me..sorry that they all burned when my home burned in 1970..or I would post them up.

6. Jalopyrama Mike

Jalopyrama Mike

Had the opportunity go to SEMA with fellow Rusty Nut guy, Chuck White. We were invited to meet Pete's daughter Robin at SEMA a few weeks ago, nice lady.
    She also introduced me to Ed Iskenderian, who invited Chuck and I to join him at his VIP table, with Robin Millar, at the SEMA Awards where George Barris was indoc'd to the SEMA Hall of Fame. What a time we had a SEMA!

7. I still have an Isky "Camfather" t-shirt somewhere...

8. EZ Cool

EZ Cool
    Alliance Vendor
    from Slaton TX

Thanks. Definitely one of my favorite hot rod related artists.

9. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

He one of the BEST!

10. autobilly

autobilly

11. AHotRod

AHotRod

Loved all of his Cartoons !!!

12. hog mtn dave

hog mtn dave

I grew up reading Drag Cartoons sitting on bags of dog food in front of the magazine rack at the Safeway. Great stuff.

13. catdad49

catdad49

Thanks for the story on Cartoons/ Drag Cartoons. Still among my favorites in my 50 plus years' collection of mags. I know I have 'em s-o-m-e-w-h-e-r-e!! Have a safe and Happy Thanksgiving, Carp

14. OLLIN

OLLIN

Yeah! My favorite is the one where it looks like the car in back is biting the one in front

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

15. slammed

slammed

[​IMG] ~For 500 points: Name the driver depicted in this fabulous cover shot. Another 100 point bonus if you can name the car owner. Remember to answer in the form of a question.

16. billsill45

billsill45
    from SoCal

Who are

Driver: Willie Borsch?
    Owner: Mousie Marcellus?

17. slammed

slammed

CORRECT for both the lead and command of the board! Bartender, give this man a 'round on the house!

18. meteor500

meteor500

its great that people are finally recognizing the art and satire of their work,one of my faves was john larter's work in cartoons in the 70's..hey norwell,he's a fellow canuck like us..what do you know about him,i think he did political cartoons for major newspapers after..may they all be remembered well.mark.

19. meteor500

meteor500

Cool factoid..i recently recieved a 60's cartoons with art by terry gilliam,later of monty python..amazing talents..

20. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

Yes.I know John Larter..great fella!

http://drawnandquarrtered.blogspot.ca/2009/02/john-lartercartoons.html

What I just LOVE about Pete Millar...was he did a very cool editorial deal in HRM...his little spot illustrations... when at a race or function.. he would listen in on or be part of some discussions that were never meant to be heard....(Wally Parks,Tom McEWEN,ETC,ETC)..... Then he would draw up his editorial satirical twist on things and sometimes create a lot of heat.... just like a political cartoonist should do...... yes.... Pete Millar could do it all...
    Just too damn bad he never got the Real True recognition he deserved when alive.

Somebody should do this for Tom Medley.

Anyhow.... Pete Millar was a Giant.......

21. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

22. teejay99

teejay99

Always liked Millar's stuff ....seemed to have the pulse on situations in an understated way . I think I read his work first whenever I opened a magazine .

T

23. Glad to see more about these artists.

I started a CARtoon thread in 2006 and I was wondering what happened to these guys?

24. dos zetas

dos zetas

Yeah...I like the one where the "stocker" with fender mount spares turns out to be a monster altered with a front mounted blower....loved Millar and thanks for bring up his good art.

25. slammed

slammed

26. Pete Millar was my first inspiration to try painting hot rod themed cartoons in junior high school.It took me a long time to realize that what looked at first like simple drawings were far from it. Even in copying one of his cartoons onto a convertible top boot for a classmate proved almost impossible to get the correct expression.Pete was one of a handful of artists that could make a couple of simple lines say everything.The only other one I've seen do that is Johnny Hart who did the character B.C.
    I especially enjoyed the little ones he did for Hot Rod Magazine in the Tech Talk section.
    I got to talk with him prior to his passing.I had called to thank him for inspiring me in continuing with my artwork and how much it meant to me.He was very humble and we had a great conversation.
    One of the saddest days of my life was when I heard of his passing.I did however enjoy how his final "trip" turned out.
    Here is my small tribute to him on the front fender of my car. RIP Pete!

Attached Files:

hope likes this.
  27. flamingokid

flamingokid

He also did western bronzes....quite the artist.

28. i have his autograph on the cover of issue #1 of Drag Cartoons.

29. slammed

slammed

30. catdad49

catdad49

Thanks for the above history of Pete Millar. I remember the Chicken Coupe, but don't recall seeing the others. Any pics? Thanks again, Carp