Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Scenes of the Crime - An Interactive Look

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by J.Ukrop, Nov 1, 2013.

1. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  2. F-6Garagerat

F-6Garagerat

The first car from Detroit is 35.7 miles from my driveway. Detroit Dragway was only 5 miles, the Melody Lane Motel, the closest motel with a lot big enough for car trailers, was just over the fence from my moms house. As a kid I got to sit in a lot of really cool race cars. We really didn't have a choice in being car guys.

3. seatex

seatex

Awww, crap. I looked up two cars and then got "lost driving around town" on google earth. Weird thing is, I was on my phone, exceeding the speed limit, drinking a Lonestar, and never once got pulled over. Did see a cool '60 Olds and a Tri-Five parked on the street though.
    Great posting, but the link sent me down a never ending street, it seems (at least gas was cheap)!

4. autobilly

autobilly

Cool idea Joey. Hours of interactive fun!:D

5. Nick32vic

Nick32vic

Wow, this is pretty cool! I only checked out a couple of the places on google street view, but after all of the time I <code><del>spent</del> wasted in google street view over the last couple of years, I never really gave thought to hot rod stuff while looking at it. Super cool post Joey. Next time I peel through the pages of my old hot rod magazine I'm going to pay close attention to the addresses in the classifieds. It would be cool to find an ad for a car that was built near where I live. </code><code><del><del></del></del></code>

6. Nick32vic

Nick32vic

Just noticed the Olds powered dragster is O'Fallon, MO. That's pretty close to me!

7. scrubba

scrubba

Well with all that Hoo- ha stated, I by rights shouldda turned out as a Hoodlum outlaw Biker ! Oh yeah, I grew up watching guys on Flathead and Knucle head Harleys , Indians , and B S A's race around a home made track in the back of their house which joined our back yard. My next door neighbor had a 46 Ford sedan, complete with a never runnin RIGHT Flathead ! he also had a Chevrolet Coupe with one dem G M C's with three carburetors ! Damn, what is a six year old guy to do ? I then grew up building plastic model cars in 1960, ahhhh, 1.39 hot rods !!!!!!!!

scrubba

8. flamingokid

flamingokid

I vaguely remember the Omaha car.I go through old Hemmings,Hot Rod,and other mags,checking out their old classifieds.In a few cases I've connected the dots as to where a car came from or where it went.

9. Jungle Jalopy

Jungle Jalopy

..."send 50 cents for details". (the '47 Chevrolet ad) Brilliant!

10. I love those old classified ads. The Google map feature is a pretty cool idea!