Register now to get rid of these ads!

History A Photo-Heavy Look at Hydro-Phobia

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by J.Ukrop, Oct 4, 2013.

1. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  2. hendo0601

hendo0601
    from Tacoma, WA

Man this car just has an evil look about it...like it is ready to just rip your face off as it blasts by you. The picture of it yanking the front wheel is absolutely epic. Great write-up on this classic rod!

3. Rolleiflex

Rolleiflex

I can't decide which paint job I like;they both look great. On a side note, picture number 12 clearly shows a small block Chevy instead of Poncho power. As I looked back at the other pictures it appears that the change was made when it was still Hydro-Phobia (pics 6,10).

4. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Thanks for the heads up.

5. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

I always liked this one.

I guess it was called "Hydro-Phobia" because it inspired fear of the Hydramatic in other racers?

6. I like the sinister black look the best! Sure good to see an early Chevy on the front page.:)

7. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

What little is lacking in aesthetics is very well camouflaged in anger. I seem to lean heavily toward the 60s rod and race stuff. When exercised on vintage tin, especially in race form, there's never a doubt about the time it was built. I sort of get the wheres and whys of the HAMB and other venues dedicated to early styles, I almost clearly understand the cut off year, yet almost all of the 60s and even a few early 70s hit the mark with equal aplomb. My personal cut off would be when rear engined fuelers became mainstream. If you visit any 66-7-8-9 rod or race mag odds are there's not much in there that doesn't speak to us the same way as the earlier stuff with exception to muscle cars. Frankly even some of those fit like a 2yr old pair of shoes.

Thanks for the story and pics. In today's vernacular that bitch represents:cool:

8. Steve!

Steve!
    BANNED
    from at the gym

I really enjoy your features on 60's drag oriented stuff Joey. Thanks!

9. modelacitizen

modelacitizen

10. 31 B'ville

31 B'ville
    from SE Pa
    1. All Things Pontiac

Cool to see a local car be recognized and admired. I remember seeing this car at his glass shop when our parents would take us to Q-Mart.

11. pnevells

pnevells

Always a favorite of mine at Vargos, runnin against the Moose from Pottstown,
    I used to make my parents take me past the Quakertown glass just hoping to get a glance at his cars

12. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Yea, the 60's rocked.

13. flamingokid

flamingokid

I can't decide which version I like better....

14. The black version is kickass! Viva la Chevy!

15. II FUNNY

II FUNNY

I'll take the black version too. Way cool car. It's nice to see a bowtie in a sea of Fords

MELTDOWN DRAGS
    JULY 19-20 2014

16. Goldy

Goldy

I saw both versions run many times at Vargo. The Black Satin version was absolutely immaculate !! They ran as well as they looked!!

17. CHOP36

CHOP36

There was a thread on this car a few years ago .I think wickedjohn posted it.I have a friend that bought a 32 chevy 2 dr to build like it He watched orginal run for years