Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects How to make a choppe on a 46 Ford coupe

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by bobo1, Sep 22, 2013.

1. bobo1

bobo1
    from France

Hello I have a 46 coupe : http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=738675
    Favor has your help I have dropped it : http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=816767

Now I would like to chopping it , I don't want to make a radical chop , I like very much back in plunging fall as the back of that of Jesse Lopez
    My ideal would be as on the photo to borrow has Ruck
    I would want a maximum of information to realize my chop because 46 are very rare in France and I cannot allow to miss it
    C for it that I need all your help
    Thank you

Attached Files:

2. tbauer

tbauer

Yor English is better than my French.

3. 'Mo

'Mo

4. Torchie

Torchie

If you like the look of the Jesse Lopez 41 coupe you should look at Jivin jer's thread on recreating the jessse lopez car if you haven't already.
    The chop on the Lopez coupe was fairly radical as I believe that it left the car with an eight and a half inch tall winshield.
    Good luck and keep us posted.

5. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

It also looks like he started with a short door coupe roof and not a long door coupe roof. Though I haven't looked into the build thread yet

Posted using My Dick Tracy watch and the full custom HAMB app

6. bobo1

bobo1
    from France

You know I use a translator a lot if not I cannot communicate with you ;)

Thank you there is a lot of information on this post

Yes I know and look the post of Jivin jer with a lot pleasure , he makes a great work but I find the chop of Jesse too radical for my car

7. b-bob

b-bob

Wow, that is one of the best chops I have ever seen on a long door coupe.
    Copy this one.

8. bobo1

bobo1
    from France

I would like to do it but I need some information to do the same chop : (

9. oldspert

oldspert
    from Texas

You might try Amazon for a book on chopping tops by Tex Smith (At least that who I remember wrote it). Called "How to chop tops". There is one chapter on the 42 - 48 ford coups.

10. bobo1

bobo1
    from France

Thank's Oldspert I have this book but the chop is not the same of my photo
    There is an article on Traditional Rod and kulture which has a perfect description but I do not know the number to buy it : (
    Look in the 'Mo link ;)
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?p=9247435#post9247435

11. Zed

Zed
    from FRANCE

there was a 47 coupe chopped for a technical week, for some reason i can't find the thread for you, it was very detailed, and apart from the rear that needed to be chopped a little more to look right, it was very informative ;)

12. bobo1

bobo1
    from France

It is really domage Zed :(
    But I'm on that you go found it ;)

13. bobo1

bobo1
    from France

14. the car you posted was done by a good friend of mine his name is paul garland.i can ask any specific questions you have.

15. Mild photochop. Something like this?

[​IMG]

16. bobo1

bobo1
    from France

17. cleatus

cleatus
    from Sacramento

One of the things that makes Paul Garland's chop so nice is that he sectioned some thickness out of the roof just above the door tops, along where the drip rails used to be.

18. Hi there were two articles on chopping '47 Fords in TRKI: a more radical chop in issue #31 and a milder chop in issue #34.
    I don't have a scanner but you can buy them here:

http://rodandkulture.com/cart/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=3&sort=20a&page=3

Last edited: Sep 24, 2013
  19. Not to be sounding sinycal but if you know what you want and have seen it already what more can you need? If your up to the task of Chopping a 46 Coupe why not just get on with it? I have done many tops and have NEVER used a tape or number to decide how much to remove. It's all about your Eye and making it look correct to you. A tape measure is just to make sure it's square and level. Just study your car and be sure you can get at least 10 feet away from it at all points and make it look right to you. Odds are you won't reproduce exactly what someone else already did even if you were standing there watching them. Just get in and do your own version of Just Right.
    The Wizzard

Jerrybigbird likes this.
  20. Yep, realized yours is a long door after I posted. My '41 is a business coupe so those are the threads I have book marked.

Have a look at how Sledge raised the windshield on this Merc. This sort of effort makes a huge difference in the final look...

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=681319&page=12

21. I thought you wanted some help to see what you want to do.
    :confused:

22. koolkemp

koolkemp

Click on my thread link below, lots of chop pics of my 47 long door coupe.....after I converted it from a 4 door sedan lol

23. Zed

Zed
    from FRANCE

24. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Those are probably the hardest cars around to get the chop "just right" on. Most still end up looking like they have a bump above the rear window after they are chopped instead of having a nice smooth flow to them. Then getting the quarter windows right is another issue. They sure look nice when they are done right though.

25. bobo1

bobo1
    from France

Thank you for this very interesting piece of information
    Can have you photos of this chop please ? :)

I thank you a lot , I have them to buy and I wait for them with a lot of impatience now ;)

I thank you for sharing your experience my heart also falls over for this kind of chop a friend photographed during his holidays has Pomona this 46 the chop of which looks like in your a lot

Attached Files:

26. bobo1

bobo1
    from France

No problem ;) His technique is really very good and all his chop are magnificent

You have everything made reason that is why I resumed the quotation of Mr48chev, I already have chopper of A but never of 46 them are so rare France where I do not want to miss and that is why I take the maximum of information with you thevery good links of 49flaty and koolkemp
    are very instructive for me

You said everything on the problem ;)

You made an enormous work on this car I am very admiring

I knew that you would find it : D

27. bobo1

bobo1
    from France

Please excuse me I did not want to offend you I am bad to express and I am willing of your help especially that I am very hopeless in the photochop
    If you are willing help me here is a photo of my 46 thank you and still forgiveness
    :(

Attached Files:

28. schoum

schoum
    from france

Boris, You have your 46 at home and you have some good inspiration pictures!

like pist-n-broke, I think that the "good cut" will be decided in front of your coupe with the pictures in the left hand and the grinder in the right hand!

more you will seen chop cut picture, more you will blown you minds!!!

and please! keep the rain-gutter! please!

je te la fais en francais pour que t'evite de me lire avec ton traducteur automatique :D

Boris, tu as ta 46 chez toi et plusieurs photos de modele bien choppé!

Comme pist-n-broke, je pense que les bonnes coupes se deciderons devant ton coupé avec dans une main les photos et dans l'autres la disqueuse...

plus tu va regarder de photo de differente methode de chop, plus tu va t'embrouiller l'esprit! ce qui compte, c'est d'avoir la caisse devant les yeux et prendre du recule regulierement.

et s'il te plait, garde les gouttieres!!!!

;)